Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

50degreesnorth

VIP Member
I just got to the checkout page on the Joanie sale and was at the final button… closed the window. It was a small spend (£50), but nothing I actually “need”.

I haven’t bought any clothes this year except 2/3 bits on Vinted and new socks. Amazingly, the sky has yet to fall in.

Fucking livid though- a “workhorse” fleece I’ve had 20+ years destroyed its zip in the machine. I’ve hung on to it to decide whether to replace the zip or not. Good sewing practice skills without the worry of bodging something of value.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

TheMiceInTheShed

VIP Member
A correction to my post (above)

It's shameful that nowadays, when we have the ability to limit the number of puppies our dog has by human means, there are more dogs being bred (and dumped) than ever before.

This should read "humane".

I have had to fight auto🥕 tooth and nail to get the "e" on the end - but I emerged TRIUMPHANT!

• Haha
  • Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
@Bread A £15 dress is really not worth the self-flagellation - enjoy the heatwave. As for the swimming stuff - exactly how expensive WAS this swimming cap? I’ve a suspicion it was made of rubber, not platinum. 😉 It’s not like you’ve blown ALL your cash on a sports car. You’ve spent realistically a very tiny amount of money for things which will likely last years. I have one pair of swim boots I bought I don’t know how many years ago - not something I upgrade annually. Flip-flops - can’t cost the Earth etc etc. unless they’re bloody Chanel, in which case get thine arse to Primark!

I’ve just had my last bill of this calendar month go out and was feeling twitchy around Sephora (the date I need new make-up is approximately 17th Never 2079)… so I bought a premium bond instead.

Checked the results from last month quickly - some lucky fucker won £50k from £300. It’s been there over 20 years. Probably bought for a grandchild and forgotten about.
Its been worse....... Someone won the million on £3 that had been in since 1969!

• Wow
  • Heart

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
Try to be kind to yourself. Everyone makes financial mistakes, and it's important to learn from them rather than dwelling on guilt or shame.

It's okay to ask for support from your parents or someone you trust. If you feel comfortable, you can discuss your situation with them and see if they can help you with birthday gifts or other support.

Reflect on your recent purchases and categorize them as needs or wants.
"needs or wants" - I must remember to use that one! Thank you....

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was scammed out of thousands of pounds this week by a trader. I am utterly distraught. Please don’t ever make the same mistake I did and ask their hourly rate before they start work and get a quote.

Prior to that I was in spendy mode. Was looking at insta too much and thinking I ‘needed’ new summer dresses and bits from the white company. Now I feel awfully guilty.

The events of this week have made me and my husband reevaluate our situation. We are thinking of moving house in order to release some cash and make our lives easier. This house seems riddled with problems and while there are good things about it we are thinking about moving to a cheaper area to lower our bills and release more cash back into our savings.

I’ve done a lot of cosmetic work on this house so it’s a shame. I completely made over both front and back gardens and recently painted the front door and put a gorgeous door knocker on it. This scam situation has made me reevaluate our situation though. We are a few thousand in debt and it really stresses me out. We can’t ever afford to go on holiday.

I just feel sick to my stomach right now.
I am so so sorry to hear this 💔

• Heart

Darvos

I really like @honestpersonalfinance on TikTok for conversations like this. He can go a bit far sometimes but he’s shared his childhood trauma stuff so it makes sense, but his content is a really good antidote to feeling like you should be doing x y or z! The only thing we should ever be doing is what’s right and best for us & our families!
I’ve given him a follow but his insta stills are giving me mild Simon Harris vibes so I’ll be watching in side-eye at first, heh.
I was following a girl on You Tube who did the usual influencer type things on the side of her full time job. I was shocked one day to hear her say she wasn't doing the usual hauls any more as she had all the Christmas decs, etc she needed.
She started gardening during COVID, lost her job and is now akin to Monty Don and appearing on TV.
She has the same attitude - whatever makes you happy.
Some of us realise we don't want to be sheep any more. 😉
Do you mind me asking who this is? I don’t follow a single nice home account (as would be obvious if you were here right now), but I do love a good nature garden account. Sadly this is equally as able to make an ApplePay thumb double-twitch, but I’m working on it. I thought I might try deleting all SM ads before I even realise what they are for. Will let you know how I do.

• Haha
  • Heart

MarriotBonvoy

Chatty Member
Here’s your reminder to cut your seemingly empty products in half before putting them in the bin. I seem to be getting another week out of my moisturiser, I was convinced it was completely empty!
I always do it with toothpaste ! It’s amazing how much more is in there

Zara sale starts today in the country I live
Wish me luck!

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I’ve given him a follow but his insta stills are giving me mild Simon Harris vibes so I’ll be watching in side-eye at first, heh.

Do you mind me asking who this is? I don’t follow a single nice home account (as would be obvious if you were here right now), but I do love a good nature garden account. Sadly this is equally as able to make an ApplePay thumb double-twitch, but I’m working on it. I thought I might try deleting all SM ads before I even realise what they are for. Will let you know how I do.
Dainty Diaries.
I don't recall her ever being the usual influencer type. She wouldn't accept gifting from companies.
She had an interesting backstory when I started following her.

ETA. On another topic I've been trying to remember the wording of something I heard recently. I wasn't paying attention, but I could swear a bloke said that he'd just discovered that the sound frequency in adverts etc is used to make you buy/eat things.
So we're beating ourselves up for having no willpower but it sounds like it's not really our fault!🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 3

adviseplz

VIP Member
I did the four major comparison sites and then got my current insurer to match the lowest offer! Worth looking at Go compare I think as they offer £250 excess cover (so they'll pay up to £250 for your excess) and this meant I could have a higher excess which brought my costs down.

Well done on the closing the window 50degreesnorth! That takes strength though I'm sorry to hear about the earring. I'm sure it will turn up, these things always do.

I've had a bit of a panicky day which suddenly sparked a Spend. Nothing massive, but bits add up and it was just like I stopped caring. I get 'paid' on Friday (I've left my job and I pay myself a monthly salary, but I do dip into my money in between :( ) and I suppose I'm thinking well I'll pay it off then... But I feel ill about it. Swim cap, swim shoes, flip flops, toothpaste, a dress I liked which had gone down more than 50% off to £15, walking sandals... I hope to have a new job starting next month, but I feel very ashamed of myself and not sure what to do about it. I may ask my parents if they'd like to give me the shoes for my birthday. I feel very out of control, so I'm going to sit down and go through everything I've spent, everything I have left and do some calculations. I was so frightened by this settlement coming to me and me having money that I couldn't breathe because I was scared I'd screw it up and now I am, I suppose.
Is there anything you can return?

Reactions: 2

50degreesnorth

VIP Member
You’re far from the only one who can’t see the wood for the clutter. At least we’ve stepped back a little (a lot) and are not adding to it.

I don’t really spend much on my pets and am v pragmatic about it all. As lovely as they are, I’m not spending £5k on “investigations” or a geriatric dog!

Popcornshovel

VIP Member
Dainty Diaries.
I don't recall her ever being the usual influencer type. She wouldn't accept gifting from companies.
She had an interesting backstory when I started following her.

ETA. On another topic I've been trying to remember the wording of something I heard recently. I wasn't paying attention, but I could swear a bloke said that he'd just discovered that the sound frequency in adverts etc is used to make you buy/eat things.
So we're beating ourselves up for having no willpower but it sounds like it's not really our fault!🤔
Dainty diaries is so wholesome, I've been following her for years. She does very occasional ads but her content is about gardening, living the slow life and craft/up cycle projects. When she shows a home project it's all with realistic stuff and a normal budget. Her house is cosy but doesn't give you house envy or make you want to spend lots of money. I wish more content creators were like this.

• Heart