Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morrisons do that where you get a bonus when hit certain amounts. Just googled & they did it this year but you could only save til Oct 31st
Asda do it too. So to Iceland. For every £20 you add to your savings card they give you £1 bonus

Reactions: 2
Aldi’s frozen lamb shanks in red wine sauce used to be £3.75 a couple of years ago which was amazing value for lamb. They went up to £4.99 earlier this year and are now £6.75 :(

edited to add, they used to be like gold dust but now they are always fully stocked.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
It is nothing more than a cash grab to prop up the failing and cash strapped (of their own making) TfL.

Khan dressing it up as cleaner air is BS. What about Heathrow Airport? Those thousands of aeroplanes that take off and land there aren't exactly zero emissions. What about the Tube? The air quality deep below ground is worse than at street level, what is being done about that?

Even the buses are slower than they used to be, having to adhere to his policy of making nearly every main road a 20mph speed limit.

Sadiq Khan is an utter arse. The sooner he is voted out the better, he is killing London with his batshit policies.
It now transpires that Sadiq Khan's ultimate goal for London is toll roads, everyone paying for distance traveled.

Your electric car may be safe for now, but if this clown is allowed to remain in office, you'll one day start paying for the distance you drive.

The guy seriously needs kicking out of office.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@IngressUK I used to regularly get the train from Glasgow to Montrose. Thanks to a tip off from station staff, it was cheaper sometimes to buy a return ticket to Aberdeen (final stop) than get one to Montrose (2-3 stops before Aberdeen IIRC). I do recall a conductor getting a bit arsey with me about it once but hard to come back from it when it was based on advice from their own colleagues 🤷‍♀️

This was about 20 years ago now and I dread to think how much a ticket would be now. Best price I got for that journey was £12.50 return. On a weekend as well 😭

Reactions: 4
It now transpires that Sadiq Khan's ultimate goal for London is toll roads, everyone paying for distance traveled.

Your electric car may be safe for now, but if this clown is allowed to remain in office, you'll one day start paying for the distance you drive.

The guy seriously needs kicking out of office.
Another conspiracy cross over, but this has been planned for a long time now. It's part of the grt reset "sustainable living"

I won't bore everyone with it but just google 15min cities.. and 20 min neighbourhoods. If it were just one place it would not be suspicious but its going on all over the world at the same time because of the WEF (world economic forum ) and every leader doing this including Sadiq is part of WEF

It all sounds idyllic and romantic on paper. but the realities are going to hurt many people

Reactions: 6
I have an issue with ticket splitting that it's a needed thing. Other countries the train ticket has the distance on it and it's priced somewhat in relation to that.

Much like I have an issue that each year you need to change car insurers as the auto renew price is often 15-20% higher. And there was energy where you kept needing to fix else you were conned with the standard rate.

All so tedious this admin stuff and it the time and cash poor people that lose out with these essentials.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I have an issue with ticket splitting that it's a needed thing. Other countries the train ticket has the distance on it and it's (usually) priced somewhat in relation to that.

Much like I have an issue that each year you need to change car insurers as the auto renew price is often 15-20% higher. And there was energy where you kept needing to fix else you were conned with the standard rate.

All so tedious this admin stuff and it the time and cash poor people that lose out with these essentials.
I totally agree. And my parents are the worst for this. Never bother looking elsewhere as they get confused with all the options and are technophobes.

stick with the same insurers, bank, savings etc. I dread to think how much they’re missing out on

Reactions: 1
Car insurance is a huuuuge money hole. I think we have switched it yearly for the past four years at least, as the renewal was always so much more expensive than going for a new one. This year it’s roughly a 300€ saving. My boyfriend did spend have a day though to sort it all out and get the best deal. I doubt everyone can spare that time and it becomes mind boggling if you need to do that for multiple insurances.

I have an issue with ticket splitting that it's a needed thing. Other countries the train ticket has the distance on it and it's priced somewhat in relation to that.
I agree with that.

However, unfortunately we have to make the best of the crap system we currently have.

I think there were/are plans to do per mile pricing on the railways. However, you can bet that the per mile pricing will be similar to existing fares - otherwise the operators would 'lose out' if fares suddenly became 50% cheaper as a result.

We are becoming ever penalised for using our cars, yet the alternatives are becoming ever more expensive.

Our local bus company has recently ramped up their fares. Now £2.40 single, £4.70 return.

Reactions: 5

Mine just came up for renewal, 70 quid more. I was just gonna let it renew because I've had a lot on and just coulndt be bothered. But then thought no, that's what's they want. It's basically a tax on time/energy/effort. They're not providing you any more for the extra money.

Anyway I did a comparison and got it even cheaper than last year's price. So skrew you Tesco car insurance.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Our local bus company has recently ramped up their fares. Now £2.40 single, £4.70 return.
Ours is £8.30 for an adult £5.50 for a child. About 4 years ago a child return was £1

Just renewed my car insurance, £10 a month cheaper 🙂

• Wow
I agree with that.

However, we have to make the best of the crap system we currently have.

I think there were/are plans to do per mile pricing on the railways. However, you can bet that the per mile pricing will be similar to existing fares - otherwise the operators would 'lose out' if fares suddenly became 50% cheaper as a result.

We are becoming ever penalised for using our cars, yet the alternatives ate becoming ever more expensive.

I usually get the train to my local city as the fare is less than parking and the traffic is always bad when you drive.

About 50% of the time there is a problem with the train. Yesterday I checked online it said they were running but no, they weren't going as far as the city, which is only 20 mins away and like 4 stops. It's so frustrating because I didn't want to drive, we're being told not to drive, but I was left with no choice along with everyone else that would have got the train in but coulndt. And when I got there, the car parks were all full because everyone has to drive on one of the busiest shopping days.

Reactions: 3
I usually get the train to my local city as the fare is less than parking and the traffic is always bad when you drive.

About 50% of the time there is a problem with the train. Yesterday I checked online it said they were running but no, they weren't going as far as the city, which is only 20 mins away and like 4 stops. It's so frustrating because I didn't want to drive, we're being told not to drive, but I was left with no choice along with everyone else that would have got the train in but coulndt. And when I got there, the car parks were all full because everyone has to drive on one of the busiest shopping days.
I'll be using the train this morning. I'm dreading doing so because of yesterday's strike.

If last Sunday is anything to go by, the timetable was full of delays and cancellations, due to staff and trains being in the wrong places.

Ours is £8.30 for an adult £5.50 for a child. About 4 years ago a child return was £1

Just renewed my car insurance, £10 a month cheaper 🙂
£8.30! 😵

That is extortionate. I would want a guaranteed seat and a free cup of tea for that price on a local bus service.

Reactions: 3
I'll be using the train this morning. I'm dreading doing so because of yesterday's strike.

If last Sunday is anything to go by, the timetable was full if delays and cancellations, due to staff and trains being in the wrong places.
Yes a lot of the problem round here is no staff so trains are delayed or cancelled.

What annoys me, is they have money for fancy trains with automatic toilet doors and tit, and fancy stations, but they can't find the money to pay staff a decent wage so that they actually attrack people to the job.

Reactions: 5
Yes a lot of the problem round here is no staff so trains are delayed or cancelled.

What annoys me, is they have money for fancy trains with automatic toilet doors and tit, and fancy stations, but they can't find the money to pay staff a decent wage so that they actually attrack people to the job.
Rail staff aren't that hard done by - as some like make out to be.

I know three people who work for CrossCountry trains.

Two are Train Managers. They are on around £35-40k a year. Are paid time and a quarter for overtime, including if a train is late running. Get a final salary pension, free travel (partner and kids get this too) on Deutsch Bahn services for XC and other networks they run in the UK, plus 75% off fares for all other train companies - through the use of the TOC card. Private health care is chucked in too.

Another works on the trolley service. Since covid, they have been allowed to stay at one end of the train, so no more walking up and down the train. He too pulls in the same perks as the Train Manager and is on over £20k a year. Being ex British Rail, he also gets a 'box card' that allows a limited number of free first class journeys to anywhere in the UK.

I believe the staff who work on the ticket gates are on around £13 per hour, with overtime also paid at time and a quarter, with the same free/discounted travel perks, pension and health care.

How many people in other jobs out there can look forward to a final salary pension when they retire? Next to none.

It only seems to be jobs connected to the public sector that still offer this kind of pension.

Last edited:

Two are Train Managers. They are on around £35-40k a year. Are paid time and a quarter for overtime, including if a train is late running. Get a final salary pension, free travel (partner and kids get this too) on Deutsch Bahn services for XC and other networks they run in the UK, plus 75% off for all other train companies. Private health care is chucked in too.

Another works on the trolley service. Since covid, they have been allowed to stay at one end of the train, so no more walking up and down the train. He too pulls in the same perks as the Train Manager and is on over £20k a year. Being ex British Rail, he also gets a 'box card' that allows a limited number of free first class journeys to anywhere in the UK.

I believe the staff who work on the ticket gates are on around £13 per hour, with overtime also paid at time and a quarter, with the same free/discounted travel perks, pension and health care.

How many people in other jobs out there can look forward to a final salary pension when they retire? Next to none.

It only seems to be jobs connected to the public sector that still offer this kind of pension.
Being on “over 20k a year” isn’t a good salary tbh. In April that will be barely over the living wage. As far as train managers go, I know managers in tesco stores who earn more than that. £35k is only a few thousand more than the average U.K. wage.

Reactions: 19

Two are Train Managers. They are on around £35-40k a year. Are paid time and a quarter for overtime, including if a train is late running. Get a final salary pension, free travel (partner and kids get this too) on Deutsch Bahn services for XC and other networks they run in the UK, plus 75% off fares for all other train companies - through the use of the TOC card. Private health care is chucked in too.

I wasn't actually refering to the strikes. I meant the lack of staff. Same with care home workers.

If you can't attrack people to a role, you're probably not paying enough. £13 an hour isnt very much to be out on a cold train platform. I'd rather take an unskilled office job for more money.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I wasn't actually refering to the strikes. I meant the lack of staff. Same with care home workers.

If you can't attrack people to a role, you're probably not paying enough. £13 an hour isnt very much to be out on a cold train platform. I'd rather take an unskilled office job for more money.
Me too, I’ve seen the tit they have to put up with from customers too - I think barely anyone who has to put up with the general public gets paid enough for what they do. When my brother worked on platforms, some annoyed customer tried to push him in front of a train!

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Being on “over 20k a year” isn’t a good salary tbh. In April that will be barely over the living wage. As far as train managers go, I know managers in tesco stores who earn more than that. £35k is only a few thousand more than the average U.K. wage.
But compare those salaries to those working in retail, hospitality and other such low paid sectors.

They barely scrape £10 per hour, do not get a final salary pension, nor free/reduced travel perks.

I don't think some realise how much the travel perks add up to for Rail jobs. Can be many £000's per year - none of which is liable for tax - even though it is essentially a benefit in kind.

It isn't a perk I would turn my nose up at.

Bus drivers are on around £12.50 an hour. I would be more supportive towards them, if they opted to strike.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
That is extortionate. I would want a guaranteed seat and a free cup of tea for that price on a local bus service.
Unsure on commute times but definitely guaranteed a seat as there's usually only a handful of people on it, probably due to the cost! Today the bus comes once every 2 hours and hourly in the week

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.