Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think there's a big need for something that I've never seen which is meter reading and understanding energy usage. Make it simple. Also does everyone have a thermostat? Are they all in the same place as I've never seen one in my home.
Our previous boiler didn't have a thermostat, it was just on or off. Most of the time I would just override the timers and if we were all sat in one room we would be 🥵. New boiler has a thermostat on a stand, although I'm still in the habit of having it on manual and flicking it on when needed.

I saw an illustration some time ago showing a home through the ages. In the 50's everyone was in the living room around the fire, progress to current day everyone in different rooms on devices. It's going to be a massive rewind if everyone's huddled in one room again for warmth. We do all seem to congregate in the living room even if we're doing different things devices/reading/tv. I liked to think we enjoyed each others company but maybe subconsciously it's because it's the warmest room 😃 (south facing, big bay).

Reactions: 7

Yel

I've said this for ages but landlords should have been forced by the government for properties to have better standards.

I've got no thermostat only those (crappy) valve things on the radiators. So it goes from being too hot to too cold. I'm sure a thermostat could be fitted for next to nothing and save a load of energy. Also my landlord put in a new boiler and rather than spend the extra £200 to put in a combi they put in a tank one so even if I only want a 2 min shower I need to heat a whole tank of water.

I could easily use 1/3rd less gas if my landlord hadn't of cut corners.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Our previous boiler didn't have a thermostat, it was just on or off. Most of the time I would just override the timers and if we were all sat in one room we would be 🥵. New boiler has a thermostat on a stand, although I'm still in the habit of having it on manual and flicking it on when needed.

I saw an illustration some time ago showing a home through the ages. In the 50's everyone was in the living room around the fire, progress to current day everyone in different rooms on devices. It's going to be a massive rewind if everyone's huddled in one room again for warmth. We do all seem to congregate in the living room even if we're doing different things devices/reading/tv. I liked to think we enjoyed each others company but maybe subconsciously it's because it's the warmest room 😃 (south facing, big bay).
I have a water heater, is that a boiler? Electricity only, big cylindrical thing in a cupboard. You can switch it on and off. I only have hot water when I use the timer and use the switch for the boiler and have done so for years. Heating is a mix of central and manual heaters on the wall. Fireplace also but have never used it.
Sounds like I probably don't have a thermostat then so it's probably the same one as you had.

Reactions: 2
I've said this for ages but landlords should have been forced by the government for properties to have better standards.

I've got no thermostat only those (crappy) valve things on the radiators. So it goes from being too hot to too cold. I'm sure a thermostat could be fitted for next to nothing and save a load of energy. Also my landlord put in a new boiler and rather than spend the extra £200 to put in a combi they put in a tank one so even if I only want a 2 min shower I need to heat a whole tank of water.

I could easily use 1/3rd less gas if my landlord hadn't of cut corners.
I keep getting asked by people working in my flat if I have a thermostat. Didn't have one when I moved here in 2015 and still don't have one.

As for the blackouts - when the government announce it, I'll believe. Whilst I don't think it'll be that much of a shock if it dos happen, I do think there's a lot of scaremongering from the media.

Reactions: 3
I have a water heater, is that a boiler? Electricity only, big cylindrical thing in a cupboard. You can switch it on and off. I only have hot water when I use the timer and use the switch for the boiler and have done so for years. Heating is a mix of central and manual heaters on the wall. Fireplace also but have never used it.
Sounds like I probably don't have a thermostat then so it's probably the same one as you had.
I have one of those water heater things. I don’t have gas so everything runs off electric in my house including heating. mine (eta:) is economy 7.
My concern is that it is just heating up water for it to go cold again if I’m not using it. I shower in the gym so I only use hot water at home twice a week for that and for daily dishes which as much as I hate it, it’s only once a day. sometimes I wonder if I’m better off just using all of the water in the tank unless it keeps warm and just heats what it needs

Reactions: 1
That sounds like an immersion heater, I had one of those in a flat. No thermostat, but it was on economy 10 so it would heat up over night then get a boost in the afternoon. I did an experiment once to see if having it on only for overnight/afternoon was cheaper and the difference was negligible due to it having to heat up from completely cold each time. I had an electric shower so it was only for tap water anyway.

@shadowcat you could potentially see with meter readings if it's cheaper to leave the hot water off altogether and just use a kettle to do the dishes.

Reactions: 2
That sounds like an immersion heater, I had one of those in a flat. No thermostat, but it was on economy 10 so it would heat up over night then get a boost in the afternoon. I did an experiment once to see if having it on only for overnight/afternoon was cheaper and the difference was negligible due to it having to heat up from completely cold each time. I had an electric shower so it was only for tap water anyway.

@shadowcat you could potentially see with meter readings if it's cheaper to leave the hot water off altogether and just use a kettle to do the dishes.
Good idea! Forgive me sounding thick but how do I do that cause I don’t have a smart meter?

Good idea! Forgive me sounding thick but how do I do that cause I don’t have a smart meter?
If you have access to your electric meter (some flats might not) take a reading at the beginning and end of the period where you try one method, then do the same when you try the other method. Where the difference between the two readings is smallest is probably the better method to go for. just to note, if you're currently using your heating and you use it different amounts in these two periods, it'll skew the results. I did mine in the summer.

I have one of those water heater things. I don’t have gas so everything runs off electric in my house including heating. mine (eta:) is economy 7.
My concern is that it is just heating up water for it to go cold again if I’m not using it. I shower in the gym so I only use hot water at home twice a week for that and for daily dishes which as much as I hate it, it’s only once a day. sometimes I wonder if I’m better off just using all of the water in the tank unless it keeps warm and just heats what it needs
God that's a waste of a big tank of hot water? And you can't switch it off periodically? 😯

God that's a waste of a big tank of hot water? And you can't switch it off periodically? 😯
Not as far as I can tell but I will have a proper look. You can switch it on to heat up more water if you run out and it’s got a summer timer and a winter timer.

No excuse not to have a thermostat elsewhere in the house now, it used to be something that needed dedicated wiring out to the hall or up to a bedroom or something so if you didn't have that wiring in place you were a bit stuck.

But now the link between boiler and thermostat can be wireless, there is one "receiver" component that you wire in right underneath the boiler (generally two wires for power and two wires to signal to the boiler to come on, and that wiring is absolutely standard across every boiler and has been for years and years) so is the work of minutes for an electrician to install. Then the second part is the thermostat which runs on batteries, can be mounted on the wall if you want or carried around between rooms if you want, this talks to the receiver wirelessly, and so the boiler comes on off depending on the temperature wherever that wireless thermostat is, i.e. where you spend most of your time.

Doesn't have to be expensive Hive (although I do recommend it!) - your basic wireless thermostat like the above is around £60 from screwfix and probably half that from the plumbers' merchants. Smart thermostats like Hive and Nest and other makes cost more but do the same as the above but add an internet connection to it, which makes it possible to control it from an app, so you can have clever scheduling, or turn it on just before you get home, or off it you went out and forgot.

By being able to make the boiler only come on according to the temperature in the rooms you actually use most, you will recover that £60 for the wireless thermostat and an hour of an electrician's time to fit it, in no time at all.

TRVs on all but one of the radiators also a must, so that you have some control over the temperature in each room rather than just on or off for the whole house, but that is additional cost to buy and fit. Individually they are cheap as chips like the wireless thermostats but a bit more involved to fit if you don't have them on the radiators already,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

Yel

There really is no excuse not to have a thermostat. They literally plug into the boiler and as you say wireless so easy to install. Less than £50 for the device and a sparky to put it in.

That's the kind of thing politicians should force as a rule as it's a no brainer to save gas. But they're so far removed from reality once they reach high office that they have no clue of these simple things to help people and reduce energy usage. Labour are just as bad as the Tories for missing these quick wins.

Reactions: 6
I think I'm missing something obvious but why does having a thermostat reduce boiler usage compared to just turning the heating on and off whenever you feel like it's too cold?

I think I'm missing something obvious but why does having a thermostat reduce boiler usage compared to just turning the heating on and off whenever you feel like it's too cold?
Because a thermostat will tell the boiler to turn itself off again when it reaches the temperature you've set it to, whereas just turning the heating on doesn't have a maximum temperature set and will stay on until you feel too hot and turn it off.

Reactions: 5
It kicks in when it drops 1c so shorter bursts of gas rather than constantly on. My old house didn't maintain the heat well so I'd have it at 15c when we were out so it wouldn't take hours to heat back up to 18 (it would be so cold inside you could so your breath if you didn’t)

I’m going down the ignorance is bliss route. I realised I’ve made myself unwell worrying about one thing after another the past few months and listening to the media scaremongering does no good. The bills will be paid regardless and the food shop done so I can’t see the point in thinking about it anymore. It’s a massive drain on your mental health when you can’t change it anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I found this calculator, not sure if it’s been posted before.
worked out I’ll be spending at most £10 a week on washing and drying the laundry. Probably not much different to the laundrette still, unfortunately I need to use a tumble dryer as my son has asthma, wet laundry sets him off.

All of a sudden, our 2 (Cons) MPs and the leader of our (Cons) County Council are desperate to visit the food bank. Not seen hide nor hair of them for 3 years, and no money. We are totally self-funded, run entirely by volunteers, feeding 50 families a week in what is outwardly an affluent area. What could they possibly want from us? When we suggested no cameras, no TV and no meeting with clients (to preserve their confidentiality) they all found other things to do. Photos with ‘the vulnerable’ for their election leaflets? Call me a cynic, but…..

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
All of a sudden, our 2 (Cons) MPs and the leader of our (Cons) County Council are desperate to visit the food bank. Not seen hide nor hair of them for 3 years, and no money. We are totally self-funded, run entirely by volunteers, feeding 50 families a week in what is outwardly an affluent area. What could they possibly want from us? When we suggested no cameras, no TV and no meeting with clients (to preserve their confidentiality) they all found other things to do. Photos with ‘the vulnerable’ for their election leaflets? Call me a cynic, but…..
I will never forget this

1665245123104.png

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
Total self promotion (shocker). We had similar when the PTA spent years fundraising for new outdoor play equipment, the moment it was installed the school had a phone call asking for a visit. The headteacher (not a tory) politely turned them down.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.