Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

katyazamo

Chatty Member
So I mentioned this previously on the thread but today at work at our daily meeting we were reminded that there's £10 to put in for a 50th, £20 for a retirement and £5 for flowers for someone who's gone off sick AGAIN. My pay day is tomorrow so that's £35 straight off my wage. Today should have been my opportunity to say sorry I can't afford this but it's so awkward. They even brought up that not everyone had put in so far and most people sat quietly so I think most people feel the same as me.

It's pay day tomorrow and I have £11.92 in my account currently. I've been on the bones of my arse since about the 2nd week after payday and this was a 5 week month.
I remember reading your post on the last thread! How many people did you say are in your team? The problem with these collections is that there's always something going on, whether that's a birthday or retirement or someone's goldfish died :rolleyes: it should always be optional and done with discretion, not bloody embarassing people for not contributing.

You know what, at this point I'd just accept the awkwardness and say unfortunately you're not able to contribute given the pressures on your income recently and leave it at that. I bet there's a few people who are feeling the same. Totally get that it feels uncomfortable but once you've said it, it's out there and you don't need to explain yourself further. I know you don't want to look like a troublemaker but you honestly aren't, you have to put yourself and your family first - sod the colleagues!!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Yel

Chatty Member
Welcome to the new thread.

Quick note this is generally a supportive and informative thread rather than one to argue. If you want to talk more about about politics, migration, covid jabs, Boris Johnson etc then they each have their own separate threads.

Thanks!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Falkor

VIP Member
I got my car insurance renewal through today. Nothing changed, no accidents, no change to mileage, and I've got about 20 years of no claims bonus, so that doesn't really affect it either now. Last year I paid £260, the renewal is £189! NOT what I was expecting, but thank you Direct Line!

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Cantthinkofausername

To answer why Asda are restricting essential products to three per customer, it's to prevent caterers buying the whole stock as they're cheaper than cash and carry. Three per customer is fair enough in an ordinary supermarket, in my opinion. Supermarkets are really designed to serve many customers buying a trolleyful of shopping, not bulk buyimg.

Maid22

VIP Member
Bloody terrifying isn't it. Our rent is £750 and £250 council tax so we lose a grand before we even get started. House is a fucking dump and when we first moved here it had been on the market 6 months with noone interested. Was slightly above the average area price but worth it for detached/garden. Stayed the same in the area until the pandemic, now that everyone wants to live in the country the minimum prices here are at least £1200. We desperately want to move but can't afford to and we are just sat waiting for the day the landlord clocks on and ups our rent. I think we've been 'lucky' because he is a lazy twat and refuses to do repairs and we are easy tenants and I think he knows he's got it good so doesn't push us, but houses are in such demand now he'd probably get a new tenant within days if he booted us. Even in this condition. Such a fucking sorry state of affairs.

Joke is noone would accept us for a mortgage for 1/3 or even 1/2 of the price even though we've been paying this for 8 years and not defaulted once. They don't want 'normal' people to own anything.
That's what I really don't understand, folks like you paying such high rents, but can't get a mortgage,but you've proved you're paying way over a month for rent than a mortgage, fuckin sucks :(

• Heart
  • Sad

Onetwofour

VIP Member
Proclaiming the end of WFH because of the energie crisis would definitely suit those who own deserted offices. What a coincidence. Could explain why the Tories are not in a rush to announce a plan.

Bubbledoggyyeah

Chatty Member
He is 19, earns a good wage, I feel embarrassed with my situation, I’ve found a job but just waiting on a start date, I’ve stopped paying all my bills & don’t even open letters anymore not bothered if baliffs come in really, take what they want, did think of going bankrupt but can’t even afford that! I owe council tax due to their error, I’m due to be made homeless, suppose if chuck me in prison least have a roof over my head x
Why are you paying your 19 year olds mobile phone bill anyway? That is too generous. At that age I was paying my own phone bill and rent and food.

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
@Instasham, be brave and say you can’t afford to contribute.

I suspect many others will agree and it might be the time for your line manager and other seniors to discuss suspending the collections while we all struggle with the cost of living crisis.

Don’t do it and be upfront about why.

• Heart

Mamacita

VIP Member
Oh you've reminded me our office is like a fridge in the winter.
I've genuinely never worked in an office that was warm enough for me. Hate when people trying to use it as encouragement to get back to offices "you'll want to go back in the winter to warm up" 🙄 no thanks, would rather be freezing in the comfort of my own home

• Heart

katyazamo

Chatty Member
Spoke to my dad earlier and I don't think he really understands what's going on with energy costs. Or he's being difficult on purpose. I did the MSE energy cost calculator and estimated usage takes me in at 160 per month with the new cap. For context that's an increase of 120 since my fixed deal ended this year. He's like, well it must be wrong, surely you don't use that much energy, you'll need to use less, that's a ridiculous amount to use 🙄 but that's just how much it costs! It's not my usage that's the problem, it's the cost per unit and standing charge that's gone through the roof!

He has a prepayment meter and constantly blasting the central heating, sits at home in a t-shirt and thinks its daft to layer up or use hot water bottles and the like. He'll be in for a shock!!

Reactions: 16

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
I’ve not paid my mobile phone bill, me & my son have a joint one, he txt last night to say his phone is restricted, I was too embarrassed to tell him I’ve not paid, made up some shit to say the DD failed as changed banks, I’m on JSA so it’s basically a weeks worth of that for both bills, my son has a job & has never offered to pay towards the bill now I’m in tears because I have £20 to last me 12 days, I’m trying desperately to sell possessions in my house just to pay for things, don’t know what I’m going to do, sorry for the rant x
Please talk to him, he’s working and he needs to be paying his part. I know it’s hard but be honest, I’m sure he hate for you to be suffering like this.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Unpopular opinion alert. I'm not the biggest fan of Martin Lewis as his thing is basically saying 1) the situation is bad and 2) the government needs to do more. Well no shit Sherlock.🙄

He could bring something new to the table like calling out lots of these ridiculous scaremongering articles and viral posts, it would be a perfect thing for a journalist like himself with an audience. He only seems to have time to say something when people use his face to spread misinformation.

sleeptime

The heating switched itself on this morning as the house got cold, I have a Nest control, so I switched it straight off again and will set it to off for as long as possible. It's getting colder already :(

My children's school has opened a food bank for pupils and staff, it's sad that it is necessary :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15

Yel

Chatty Member
I'm not surprised to see a headlines that are out of context and feed anti Ukrainian sentiment. Was only a matter of time and the Kremlin will love it. There's going to be increasing calls to force the Ukrainians to accept lost territory so that countries that foolishly made themselves dependant on Russian energy can get their fix. Misplaced.

This.
Screenshot_20220904_104122.jpg

It's the "counting pennies" that seems to have annoyed most people. Who even knows if it's an accurate translation. Stupid framing questions from Laura placing the blame on Ukraine.

• Heart

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
I thought that was a piss take until I watched the reel. He’s a monumental cunt and thank fuck he’s going.

bananabutter

VIP Member
And also on top of some of the crazy money people were throwing at houses during the past couple of years. Although I’m guessing these were cash buyers as I don’t know if mortgage lenders would agree with the crazy values. But there must be people who now regret what they’ve paid. We were trying to move at the time and some people were going up to 75k over asking prices. 🫤

I’ve been really concerned about all the increases in costs and we’ve been trying to save as much as we can so we don’t end up in serious trouble. But some of the headlines the media is coming out with now is absolutely stupid. Only being able to use electric if there’s wind etc, blackouts! Doom!. The media is a disgrace as they’ve discovered fear & panic is such an effective way to draw people in. It’s sad as humans we’ve learnt nothing about kindness and compassion. I’m sure at some point they will start with the “coldest winter on record coming” to throw a bit more on the pile!
I think a lot of people who mortgaged to the hilt will be massively regretting it now. I didn’t borrow the maximum when I bought mine just because the idea didn’t sit well with me and I wanted that extra disposable income each month to spend on holidays and other luxuries. Now that disposable income is going to be going on my energy bills. It’s annoying because you work so hard to get to where you want to be, and it feels like all you’re doing is working to live 😢

JoJo76

VIP Member
He is 19, earns a good wage, I feel embarrassed with my situation, I’ve found a job but just waiting on a start date, I’ve stopped paying all my bills & don’t even open letters anymore not bothered if baliffs come in really, take what they want, did think of going bankrupt but can’t even afford that! I owe council tax due to their error, I’m due to be made homeless, suppose if chuck me in prison least have a roof over my head x
I really feel for you, but please open those letters and call the companies to explain your situation. They make be able to help, or give you a bit of extra time. Or maybe speak to citizens advice. I know it all seems like the biggest uphill battle and you want to hide from it all, but it won't go away. And I bet you will feel better and some pressure lifted if you speak to them.

• Heart

Falkor

VIP Member
The small laundry I work part-time in is having its electricity prices quadrupled from 2nd October :(

• Wow
  • Sad

teabob

I think it just takes one person to say that they feel the amounts are too much and others will agree.
This is what happened in my last workplace. Xmas 2020 I said i didn’t want to participate in secret Santa as it was £25 of tat I didn’t want or need and I personally would rather the money was spent on a charitable donation. Lots of people agreed and if anyone still wanted to do ss they were free to but at least the rest of us didn’t have to.
We only bought birthday gifts on milestone birthdays and it was between £3 or £5 each. Between 15 that’s still a decent gift

• Heart

instasham13

Chatty Member
Thanks. It's just a ridiculous amount to ask for I think. I regularly take in branded biscuits, chics etc to add to our treat collection that staff eat and if we are having a lunch in the department for a special event everyone will each bring in something food or drink wise which again I don't mind.

The money for various things is every month. Prob wouldn't mind if it wasn't ad regular like every month.

Yes I agree with the others @Instasham as awkward as it may feel definitely be upfront and said, I'm sorry I cannot afford to make contributions to these gifts. I really dislike the weird social pressure in workplaces to give money for gift collections.
I've actually heard snidey comments when someone hasn't put in like oh can't put in to the collection but can go 2 holidays a year etc. What people choose to spend their money on is up to them.

• Wow