Discontent #6 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is he actually adding to the stress by being realistic about what could happen this winter? He’s just making people aware, it’s not really his fault that the government have led us here. Should he @ the Samaritans in every tweet?

Here’s a link his mental health research organisation: https://www.moneyandmentalhealth.org/
There are links to helplines here: https://www.moneyandmentalhealth.org/get-help/
Do you really think people aren’t aware of it by now and how exactly are the posts from ML about the guesstimate of energy prices going forward helping people now?
I‘ve not seen him add links (as we’ve done on here recently) to help those on his posts who are clearly distressed on how they’re going to make ends meet. So you think he should post as much as he likes frightening people without solutions. People could take their lives over this and perhaps he should think about that, I certainly would if I were in his position. Many have already been through hell and back and are struggling without this on top of it and at the least he could add info of organisations they could contact if they’re struggling financially.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
For those who saw my previous post, I finally got thru to EE. Really happy as we were paying £31.46 new contract is £22. They removed landline as we dont need that anymore & its a higher speed :D

About Martin Lewis, To me it's better him preparing us all, I think if he didnt & people were suddenly thrust into the position that'd cause more deaths

Reactions: 14
For those who saw my previous post, I finally got thru to EE. Really happy as we were paying £31.46 new contract is £22. They removed landline as we dont need that anymore & its a higher speed :D

About Martin Lewis, To me it's better him preparing us all, I think if he didnt & people were suddenly thrust into the position that'd cause more deaths
How is ML preparing us now exactly? Surely people already know the dire situation we’re in if only from his previous posts and him talking about it. People need to know ways to reduce their usage and if they‘re already really struggling financially, contact details of organisations that can give them some help/hope.

Reactions: 3
He's basically pseudo chancellor now telling them what to do.
p.s. He has given solutions - I remember out of desperation he said if you cannot afford to heat your house then heat yourself with the heated jackets or throws that you can wear was one suggestion. Can't remember the others. Maybe find it on his You Tube channel.

Reactions: 5
He's basically pseudo chancellor now telling them what to do.
p.s. He has given solutions - I remember out of desperation he said if you cannot afford to heat your house then heat yourself with the heated jackets or throws that you can wear was one suggestion. Can't remember the others. Maybe find it on his You Tube channel.
Thank you, we’ve managed to reduce ours quite a lot but it’s good for people to have a link that can help them with that.

Reactions: 2
People can reduced their usage as much as they can but the engery companies are increasing the standing charges regardless so people will still see an increase.

Reactions: 21
Thank you, we’ve managed to reduce ours quite a lot but it’s good for people to have a link that can help them with that.
These politicians forget what their job is. It's not all about them it's about us. He's right they need to work together to sort this out. Otherwise the public will take it into their own hands and there will be bloody anarchy! 🤬

When has Johnson ever taken his job seriously? As for it being about ’us’ many still voted for Brexit shooting themselves in the foot, along with the rest of us.

These politicians forget what their job is. It's not all about them it's about us. He's right they need to work together to sort this out. Otherwise the public will take it into their own hands and there will be bloody anarchy! 🤬
Let’s also not forget MP’s claim fuel, energy on their expenses amongst other things. 😤

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
I don’t know if there will be anarchy though? 🤔 I think over the past couple of years the government have tested how much they could get away with with the British public and the answer even surprised them. It was a LOT. There was talk of riots etc with lockdowns/vaccine passports but.. nothing apart from a few protests. Blatant rule breaking parties from the government when others died alone. Doesn’t get much lower than that. We’ve proven ourselves to just take things on the chin and endure it no matter what. Get a bit cross, rant on TV or online comments. Not a single person I know in real life even mentions the looming, catastrophic situation. They’re all spending huge amounts on holidays, new cars, house renovations. Not a second thought for saving for winter costs. And these aren’t people that have massive incomes. Most of it probably goes on credit cards but that’s not free. When I’ve brought it up in conversations I normally get shrugged at. Sums up a lot of public opinion I think. “Not ideal but hey ho what can you do”

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I don’t know if there will be anarchy though? 🤔 I think over the past couple of years the government have tested how much they could get away with with the British public and the answer even surprised them. It was a LOT. There was talk of riots etc with lockdowns/vaccine passports but.. nothing apart from a few protests. Blatant rule breaking parties from the government when others died alone. Doesn’t get much lower than that. We’ve proven ourselves to just take things on the chin and endure it no matter what. Get a bit cross, rant on TV or online comments. Not a single person I know in real life even mentions the looming, catastrophic situation. They’re all spending huge amounts on holidays, new cars, house renovations. Not a second thought for saving for winter costs. And these aren’t people that have massive incomes. Most of it probably goes on credit cards but that’s not free. When I’ve brought it up in conversations I normally get shrugged at. Sums up a lot of public opinion I think. “Not ideal but hey ho what can you do”
Very true. The amount of people I see on Instagram that seem to be spending £££ on endless takeaways, holidays, trips etc. It like they've got some sort of magic money pot lol. I think a lot of people are just covering their eyes, pretending winters not coming and just not thinking about it? 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 14
People can reduced their usage as much as they can but the engery companies are increasing the standing charges regardless so people will still see an increase.
I agree but sadly there’s not a lot we can do about that, so I’m trying to focus on the things I can do something about and in this case reducing energy usage.

I posted yesterday about societal collapse looming in the UK. They’re just about to talk about it on LBC now in relation to public services. Worth a listen.

Thank you to whoever said about oodies on the last thread. Just got the oodie and weighted blanket deal. Will help keep me warm in the winter!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Very true. The amount of people I see on Instagram that seem to be spending £££ on endless takeaways, holidays, trips etc. It like they've got some sort of magic money pot lol. I think a lot of people are just covering their eyes, pretending winters not coming and just not thinking about it? 🙈
I wonder if they are kind of rushing to do it all while they can

This!!! I often think what cost of living crisis because everyone i know is going on multiple holidays, eating out and buying new clothes every week and these are people with normal incomes. I don't get it.

This!!! I often think what cost of living crisis because everyone i know is going on multiple holidays, eating out and buying new clothes every week and these are people with normal incomes. I don't get it.
I get the same thing I just assune a lot is debt.
Holidays maybe moved from previous years cancelled.
If you both work and don't have kids
If you have low mortgage as brought house at the right time.

Our lovely neighbours have moved out as rent was upped from 1k to £2300 the average rent here 3 bed is £1200.
For a terraces house in bad repair or ex council.

We have no money this year because tax office saying we owe them money.
Growing credit card debt caused by tax office taking most of our wages feb and March.
Some debts accrued during lockdown 3 when we had no furlough but non essential Couldent physically open store jan to April 2021..
Cost living increase diesel energy and ni rise is around £200 combined.
In first 2 quarter's of 2021 i realised we spending too much on food i think maybe especially jan to April i was home schooling again that was buying stuff to cheer me up.
I worked really hard to reduce grocery spend by cutting lots of treats out and buying in bulk.
But as foods risen its become harder to sat in budget or under budget.
My kids don't do that many clubs these days cricket is seasonal so ends soon.
With 3rd child starting senior school thats brought extra costs plus year 6 is expensive £400 residential leavers hoody.
Still haven't finished year 7 uniform/supplies shop.

I think people trying not to think about winter its the old cross that bridge when we come to it.
Where as I'm looking out 2nd hand oasis, jumpers and blankets.
Brought some more hats scarfs and gloves at the jumble sale the other day.
Sept is gas bbq or stove
Full stock up batteries.
Solar lamps and torches
Some backup bottles of water.
More long life food pasta/ rice / tinned.
Least we won't go Hungry .
Doing 2 packed lunches a day and paying 1 lot of school dinners.

Looks like we not on recession yet but can't see how 3rd quarter be good..
Even with Xmas shopping by October many will be really struggling for cash.

As for anxiety doing stuff for winter helps me feel more in control and less anxious.
I can prepare over many months either by buying items or trying to save some money.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've just checked my EPC and it's so frustrating.

Even two years ago the landlord could have spent a relatively small amount and it would have broken even with the energy savings after 36 months. Now the break even period would be less than a year. But they don't as doesn't benifit them.

They should have been forced to improve it while making so much easy money. I'm living in an E and has the potential to be a B

• Sad
  • Wow
I've just checked my EPC and it's so frustrating.

Even two years ago the landlord could have spent a relatively small amount and it would have broken even with the energy savings after 36 months. Now the break even period would be less than a year. But they don't as doesn't benifit them.

They should have been forced to improve it while making so much easy money. I'm living in an E and has the potential to be a B
I'm guessing a lot of landlords may be waiting for the EPC scoring methodology to be changed first. At the moment a decent proportion of the EPC scoring system is based on cost. The government wants us all to put in electric heating/air source heat pumps and so on, but if you take out a gas boiler and put an electric heating system of any sort in at the moment, the EPC will fall at least one grade because electric systems are more expensive to run. Unless the house is pretty much full 5* on every other aspect of the EPC, it's quite hard to get above an E with any kind of electric system at the moment and no landlord is going to want to pay for the EPC twice.

It is being sorted out, there's a new methodology coming in called SAP11 which will take renewables, heat pumps, storage systems etc. into account and lower the score accordingly, but it's not ready yet. https://www.twinfm.com/article/a-new-methodology-to-measure-epc-ratings-what-is-sap-11

Also, even with the new rules coming in that from 2025 all new tenancies must be a C or better on the EPC (existing tenancies can stay at E or better until 2028), there will be an exemptions register if the landlord claims the property can't get to a C - it already exists for F and G properties, but I think they're increasing the high cost exemption limit from its frankly ridiculously low level of £3,500+VAT. Full list of exemptions here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...and-exemptions-register-evidence-requirements

I'm guessing a lot of landlords may be waiting for the EPC scoring methodology to be changed first.
I wish that were the case! I think the only thing they're waiting for is to be forced. Why would they reduce their profit to benefit the tenant?

I've seen electric only homes with an A rating, but I think that relies on having solar installed for power and hot water.

Simple things like insulation they should be forced to do, but the chronic underbuilding not meeting up with the population growth makes inforcing anything difficult

I'm guessing a lot of landlords may be waiting for the EPC scoring methodology to be changed first. At the moment a decent proportion of the EPC scoring system is based on cost. The government wants us all to put in electric heating/air source heat pumps and so on, but if you take out a gas boiler and put an electric heating system of any sort in at the moment, the EPC will fall at least one grade because electric systems are more expensive to run. Unless the house is pretty much full 5* on every other aspect of the EPC, it's quite hard to get above an E with any kind of electric system at the moment and no landlord is going to want to pay for the EPC twice.

It is being sorted out, there's a new methodology coming in called SAP11 which will take renewables, heat pumps, storage systems etc. into account and lower the score accordingly, but it's not ready yet. https://www.twinfm.com/article/a-new-methodology-to-measure-epc-ratings-what-is-sap-11

Also, even with the new rules coming in that from 2025 all new tenancies must be a C or better on the EPC (existing tenancies can stay at E or better until 2028), there will be an exemptions register if the landlord claims the property can't get to a C - it already exists for F and G properties, but I think they're increasing the high cost exemption limit from its frankly ridiculously low level of £3,500+VAT. Full list of exemptions here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...and-exemptions-register-evidence-requirements
I don't want to sound too pessimistic but there's always the danger with these types of schemes that 1) rents will go up because the landlord has had to spend money on improving the property or 2) some landlords will take the property off the market rather than do all the work required to bring it up to standard. It'll be good once it gets established but the start of it could be rough for people.

1) rents will go up because the landlord has had to spend money on improving the property
Landlords always say this if anything threatens their profit margins, but they already charge the most they can for a property. They can't simply increase the rent as for most properties they're already charging the maximum the market would take. If they could increase rents and someone would pay it then they would have already done it.

2) some landlords will take the property off the market rather than do all the work required to bring it up to standard
That's another thing landlords always say. As if them exiting the market means the property won't exist. It wouldn't be a bad thing if lots of the amateur (homes under the hammer) landlords did exit and they were sold to owner occupiers. All these financial products allowing people to take on debt easily to get into buy to let has pushed up prices.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.