Discontent #6 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For me, there are some things I prefer not to compromise on - good hair products, nice soap, good coffee, my favourite fragrance. Other stuff, I’m happy to buy value ranges, but little treats and favourite things are important. So I’ve bought enough on sale to last me through the winter. I also have all the ingredients for my Xmas cake and other festive baking, and a turkey in the freezer, an M&S yellow sticker bargain.
I’m getting out the nice crockery and cutlery to use over the winter - even bangers & mash is a treat served on granny’s plates- and gathering sloes, damsons and blackberries to make flavoured gin for gifts while listening to festive music. The poster who reminded us of the importance of taking pleasure in small things is so right, it’s easy to get bogged down in gloom.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
For me, there are some things I prefer not to compromise on - good hair products, nice soap, good coffee, my favourite fragrance. Other stuff, I’m happy to buy value ranges, but little treats and favourite things are important. So I’ve bought enough on sale to last me through the winter. I also have all the ingredients for my Xmas cake and other festive baking, and a turkey in the freezer, an M&S yellow sticker bargain.
I’m getting out the nice crockery and cutlery to use over the winter - even bangers & mash is a treat served on granny’s plates- and gathering sloes, damsons and blackberries to make flavoured gin for gifts while listening to festive music. The poster who reminded us of the importance of taking pleasure in small things is so right, it’s easy to get bogged down in gloom.
Oohh blackberry gin? Marvellous idea!! We picked a load earlier and I was contemplating a crumble but a nice blackberry gin might warm the soul during the coming winter months!

Reactions: 4
Just been checking out the weighted blankets on OHS. Two questions for anyone who has one - are they very hot to sleep under? And how do you go about washing and drying them?

Reactions: 1
The EU aren't taking any action on energy prices. They decided a few days ago to have a meeting on the 9th September to discuss it. Good luck squaring that circle! Countries like Germany with no LPG terminals don't even know if they'll be able to keep homes warm this winter even with industry forced to shut down.

Reactions: 2
The candles thing really didn't make much sense. As I said, the woman is really over dramatic and she is always the worst one off, doesn't matter what it is. But I fear that some people really might try out weird stuff and then their pants catch fire...
Surely a hot water bottle for your feet would be much better 🕯

Reactions: 5
Stick a hot water bottle in a sleeping bag to get toasty for a few pennies.

My 65" TV costs 20p to be on for 10 hours. Once the nights draw in I've got so many box sets to catch up on.

Reactions: 6
Just been checking out the weighted blankets on OHS. Two questions for anyone who has one - are they very hot to sleep under? And how do you go about washing and drying them?
I have a weighted blanket for Fibromyalgia and RLS. They should be 10% of your body weight for maximum effect. The cover if mine comes off for washing, but I also don’t sleep directly under it but place it over my duvet. It’s wonderful but I thought it be great for snuggling on the sofa then on my bed too - nope 👎 it’s soooo heavy and bulky to move around! I keep the weighed blanket upstairs and the dreamland husky throw downstairs. They are cozy but definitely not overly warm as in uncomfortably so.

Reactions: 2
Weighted blankets are an amazing thing. As well as bing warm (more later) I got one for my aunt when she started being anxious because of dementia, and not sleeping. It was like a miracle cure. They’re really odd, because you don’t get hot, or cold, the glass beads somehow keep your temperature just right. They’re a bugger to wash, though. I got one of those cotton jersey duvet covers, cheapo from Tesco, still soft and nice, stitched a popper in each corner (inside) and kept it in that so I could wash the cover, although I know others who take it to the launderette. Wouldn’t recommend a home machine, they’re bloody heavy when dry, you’d do yourself an injury lugging it about wet. The one time I washed it I dried it over the bannister. They are utterly amazing things. We’ve all got one now….

Stick a hot water bottle in a sleeping bag to get toasty for a few pennies.

My 65" TV costs 20p to be on for 10 hours. Once the nights draw in I've got so many box sets to catch up on.
Those wheat filled microwave hot packs are great, no hot water needed and you can often get them quite cheaply in places like Home Bargains and M&Co - a fiver. Very cosy.

[
Oohh blackberry gin? Marvellous idea!! We picked a load earlier and I was contemplating a crumble but a nice blackberry gin might warm the soul during the coming winter months!
Blackberry Vodka is the mutts nuts. Lots of online recipes and tbh, you can just buy the cheapest spirit because the taste doesn’t matter. I use the Lidl gin - quite often on offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.