Discontent #6 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On my local fb groups i've seen quite a few mention if they need to cut down, 1 of the first things will be their cleaner.
And it just got me thinking about how many cleaners will lose clients & then struggle even more
I was thinking this too. For us it would be the kids clubs, dance and acro are both small busineses. For Christmas I might see if family would chip towards the classes rather then buying stuff that get chucked in a corner and never used.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It's the knock on effects that concern me. People lose income, make cuts, then others lose income, make cuts and so it goes on.

I'm quite concerned for the small businesses in my town.
I'm the same & it doesn't seemed to be mentioned much. As all the local businesses their fuel prices will go up which in turn they'll have to up prices. And then depending on what they do they'll get customers who cant pay the new prices etc
People who do crafty type products lots of us cutting down would pick their products to stop first

Reactions: 3
I'm currently spending about 60pm on electric for just me and occasionally my partner, I've started stocking the gas meter (prepay for both) but my main outgoing on the electric is the oven which costs me about £1 a day alone. I do plan on replacing the cooker eventually but not until I've moved in with my partner. Does anyone have an airfryer? Are they actually cheaper? Do you use it often? I got a slow cooker a few years ago but I've used it 3x in 3 years.

Reactions: 2
I was feeling lazy kids asking go shopping snacks and drinks another really hot day here fed up of the heat.
So went round nearest corner shop.
4pints milk now £1.79, 10 p increase on last week.
Every time I go there he says bookers I think are his main supplier are expensive and they set the retail prices.
Also he frequently says its Ukraine War innit.
I want to support the little independent buy hes making tesco express look cheap.

If Inflation is at 9.6% officially and bank of England predict 13% by October how much will food go up by now and Xmas?
Thats energy rise aside.
Next month will start buying little bits for Xmas last year I had box and each wwwk brought something considered festive food between sept and Xmas so crackers mince meat j20 on offer as kids like them as Xmas Dinner drink.
Maybw that will help stagger cost a bit.

Going to do serious hunt Market place and charity shops for my 4 year old.
Will try do couple carboots too.

What was the point Johnson staying on.
How is he a caretaker when he's on holiday.

Messiah-complex Martin wants to save us all. Personally, I think he's got undiagnosed Aspergers or unresolved childhood truma, OCD. Something along those lines and if that's the case I can cut him some slack, and if his website thing helps just one person, it's all good. Personally he gets on my wick and some of his sweary-rants worry me ... they are either performative or he has some compulsion issues ... "Oh sorry ... but I just get sooo angry". Hard to say which it is really.

mmmm.jpg

Reactions: 9
Least the anger shows he actually cares, much prefer his responses to the ones who think 'well i'll be ok so who cares about the rest'

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Messiah-complex Martin wants to save us all. Personally, I think he's got undiagnosed Aspergers or unresolved childhood truma, OCD. Something along those lines and if that's the case I can cut him some slack, and if his website thing helps just one person, it's all good. Personally he gets on my wick and some of his sweary-rants worry me ... they are either performative or he has some compulsion issues ... "Oh sorry ... but I just get sooo angry". Hard to say which it is really.

View attachment 1490609
I think he did lose a parent when he was young, which may have caused him to obsess about finances growing up. If he does have mental health issues, fair play to him, he's made a VERY good living doing what he does and I've saved money using his tips in the past.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
After the prices went up in April our tariff also ended, the ones offered were around 3 times what we usually pay so we’re now on a variable tariff and have tried to reduce our usage where possible. I appreciate this is a summer month so it will be a cheaper compared to winter but we‘ve managed to reduce the amount of energy we use compared to this time last year and have almost halved the amount of gas used in 2021. So far it’s not been that difficult but I appreciate winter could/will be a whole different 💩 show.

Attachments

My Mum was saying she thinks pre pay meter people could be better off. As at least that way you wont go into debt( though obv you dont put in enough it stops being provided)

In two minds about ML and these reported forecasts - on one hand it’s obvious it’s only going to continue going up, on the other until it’s confirmed must we be plagued by it? And on the other hand again maybe it’s better to have any degree of uncertainty removed and we just know it’ll be rising?

Tbh this is the problem when you’ve got a random bloke leading the conversation and not…. our actual prime minister or either two potential candidates?! More needs to be done ASAP but it’d be nice if anyone at all was willing to speak on it.

Reactions: 6
In two minds about ML and these reported forecasts - on one hand it’s obvious it’s only going to continue going up, on the other until it’s confirmed must we be plagued by it? And on the other hand again maybe it’s better to have any degree of uncertainty removed and we just know it’ll be rising?

Tbh this is the problem when you’ve got a random bloke leading the conversation and not…. our actual prime minister or either two potential candidates?! More needs to be done ASAP but it’d be nice if anyone at all was willing to speak on it.
Its not Martin Lewis himself predicting the forecast its a company called Cornwall insights.
Obviously the skiy article mentions another company doing the same thing.

All I can assume as depressing as it might be is energy will continue to go up least over next 12 months.
Now ofgem reviewing cap every 3months i think it will increase every 3months from October and take a while to come back down.
Without some sort government help even middle class cant sustain 5k a year energy bills as well as higher mortgages , high petrol, high train / bus fares, higher food and high childcare costs to enable them to work.

Reactions: 7
My Mum was saying she thinks pre pay meter people could be better off. As at least that way you wont go into debt( though obv you dont put in enough it stops being provided)
I don't know about being better off, but we can put on what we want each week, if we have any spare cash, we're topping it up now, so hopefully that'll help later.

I don't know about being better off, but we can put on what we want each week, if we have any spare cash, we're topping it up now, so hopefully that'll help later.
oh I didnt mean better off as in costs less, just as we put in what we can we wont get into debt. Just darkness/cold

Its not Martin Lewis himself predicting the forecast its a company called Cornwall insights.
Obviously the skiy article mentions another company doing the same thing.

All I can assume as depressing as it might be is energy will continue to go up least over next 12 months.
Now ofgem reviewing cap every 3months i think it will increase every 3months from October and take a while to come back down.
Without some sort government help even middle class cant sustain 5k a year energy bills as well as higher mortgages , high petrol, high train / bus fares, higher food and high childcare costs to enable them to work.
I know that lol but he is very much the face of this crisis in the media, and he is choosing to amplify these forecasts eg his Twitter thread yesterday or the day before?

Reactions: 1
oh I didnt mean better off as in costs less, just as we put in what we can we wont get into debt. Just darkness/cold
Sorry I didn't mean that better off in that way, I know we pay more for having a pre pay meter, but the direct debit, and being in credit really confuses me, find it easier this way!

Reactions: 4
I know that lol but he is very much the face of this crisis in the media, and he is choosing to amplify these forecasts eg his Twitter thread yesterday or the day before?
I agree. ML is also not doing anything to try and mitigate the stress he’s adding to, by linking websites/phone numbers (as done by several people on here) that could help/advise people who are clearly very distressed on his posts.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't mean that better off in that way, I know we pay more for having a pre pay meter, but the direct debit, and being in credit really confuses me, find it easier this way!
oh i'm the same this way I find much easier to know what i'm spending

I agree. ML is also not doing anything to try and mitigate the stress he’s adding to, by linking websites/phone numbers (as done by several people on here) that could help/advise people who are clearly very distressed on his posts.
Is he actually adding to the stress by being realistic about what could happen this winter? He’s just making people aware, it’s not really his fault that the government have led us here. Should he @ the Samaritans in every tweet?

Here’s a link his mental health research organisation: https://www.moneyandmentalhealth.org/
There are links to helplines here: https://www.moneyandmentalhealth.org/get-help/

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.