Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My cars old got a lot fixed on it to pass the MOT in September, December something else broke so had to fix that and this week another thing broke. Second hand cars are very expensive right not aren’t they? I’m saving for one but want to keep this going as long as possible. After this is fixed hopefully it’ll be ok until next year when the cambelt is due to be done, probably still worth doing that as a lot of huge things were done in the last few months.
I can’t complain only paid £500 for it which I got from selling my old broken car and its passed 2 MOTs with no issues until the third one last year. And my dad said the same car now is worth around £1000 due to the increase of second hand cars (due to issues with making new cars??)
I don’t care for cars either they all do the same thing, I don’t want to pay excessively every month for all the mod cons of a new car. Couldn’t imagine paying £300 a month like my friend does - I’d rather use that to go on holidays 😄.
I just hope this it for a while now!

Reactions: 5
My cars old got a lot fixed on it to pass the MOT in September, December something else broke so had to fix that and this week another thing broke. Second hand cars are very expensive right not aren’t they? I’m saving for one but want to keep this going as long as possible. After this is fixed hopefully it’ll be ok until next year when the cambelt is due to be done, probably still worth doing that as a lot of huge things were done in the last few months.
I can’t complain only paid £500 for it which I got from selling my old broken car and its passed 2 MOTs with no issues until the third one last year. And my dad said the same car now is worth around £1000 due to the increase of second hand cars (due to issues with making new cars??)
I don’t care for cars either they all do the same thing, I don’t want to pay excessively every month for all the mod cons of a new car. Couldn’t imagine paying £300 a month like my friend does - I’d rather use that to go on holidays 😄.
I just hope this it for a while now!
I still drive the same Fiat 500 I got for £4000 when I passed my test five years ago. The door handle falls off occasionally and it costs about £200 in repair every MOT (no idea how my suspension always gets messed up, I suspect I go over speed bumps too fast).

Honestly £300 a month on a car sounds insane and I don’t understand the appeal. I only drive about 3000 miles a year and an expensive car will never be worth it to me

Reactions: 6
I know someone who pays more than 300 a month for a car, and it has to sit on their drive a lot as the rental limits how many miles they can do :LOL: . But that's status symbols for you.

I bought a cheap car 10 years ago and an expensive year is when it costs more than 300 to keep it going (which has probably only happened twice). Could probably sell it for more than I bought it for, especially as it's exempt from the ulez extensions.

With how little many people now use their cars (with working from home and online deliveries) and the cost of running a car, many probably can't be that far off it working out cheaper to get taxis and trains.

Someone on the radio last night was saying they'll have to spend 4'000 on a second hand car and then probably a few more grand to get it up to being roadworthy because their diesel comes under ulez. Talk about being melodramatic.

• Haha
I still drive the same Fiat 500 I got for £4000 when I passed my test five years ago. The door handle falls off occasionally and it costs about £200 in repair every MOT (no idea how my suspension always gets messed up, I suspect I go over speed bumps too fast).

Honestly £300 a month on a car sounds insane and I don’t understand the appeal. I only drive about 3000 miles a year and an expensive car will never be worth it to me
I only changed my original car (the one I had before this one) because it would’ve cost about the same as my current car cost to fix. And that was the issue we knew about not sure if there were more issues. Knew it would fail the MOT so sold it the month before and got £500 for it.
I think that might be partly my issue is going too fast over bumps and up curbs, well that’s what my dads blaming 🙄😂 (I’ll blame the car being old - it’s from 2004).
I probably drive around the same distance as you a year maybe less. My friend is always saying I should get a new car as they are safer - I don’t agree my cars fine, also I feel having older cars since I passed makes me a better driver as I don’t have any cameras, sensors etc to rely on.
Also when I do get a new car I want a small city car like a Hyundai i10 or Toyota Augo one that’s good on fuel to save me money. My car now isn’t as good on fuel as my first car - that car I could sometimes get 2 months out of a tank of fuel (usually 6 weeks)

Reactions: 1

Mine also seems to need either new suspension or bushes every year. I think it's all the pot holes round here.
Paid £300 last month to pass its mot and its booked in for more work next month. Time for a new one I think as its 18 years old now

I know someone who pays more than 300 a month for a car, and it has to sit on their drive a lot as the rental limits how many miles they can do :LOL: . But that's status symbols for you.

I bought a cheap car 10 years ago and an expensive year is when it costs more than 300 to keep it going (which has probably only happened twice). Could probably sell it for more than I bought it for, especially as it's exempt from the ulez extensions.

Someone on the radio last night was saying they'll have to spend 4'000 on a second hand car and then probably a few more grand to get it up to being roadworthy because their diesel comes under ulez. Talk about being melodramatic.
Yeah my dad was being nosey and looked into how much my neighbours nee electric car would cost a month. I think it was £800 a month, it’s just crazy, I just think how much I could do with that much extra money a month!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
That’s because they’d have chosen to tell them a low mileage to get it marginally cheaper which is just dumb. My in laws (in their early 70s) lease/whatever the term is their car and it works really well for them. I had an in depth convo with my FIL about this cos he helped me sort my insurance and when I had to give estimated mileage he said how the difference is so small so just go over what you think to be safe. So it’s bizarre to think someone would have purposefully under estimated theirs? It only makes a couple of quid difference on insurance idk about renting but can’t imagine it’d be huge? 🫠

Reactions: 5
The best thing about having an old car is my friend never wants to go in my car as it’s ‘unsafe’ 🙄 plus has no mod cons so I never have to drive. I hate driving so it’s a huge bonus for me 😄 If it’s a long drive she’s sometimes like we can share the drive but I refuse I don’t want to drive her brand new car I’d be too scared! I usually say no we can get the train instead and she’ll just say she’ll drive as she hates public transport

Reactions: 3
Another blow for working parents.
https://news.sky.com/story/nursery-...h-costs-forcing-parents-to-quit-work-12806742Nursery fees 'to rise by £1,000 this year' as childcare providers struggle with costs - forcing parents to quit work
I’m sure most of those over 50’s they’re trying to bring back to the workforce are essentially helping the younger generation remain there, it’s mostly grandparents looking after their grandkids where I live, childcare is extortionate in comparison to wages.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
https://news.sky.com/story/nursery-...h-costs-forcing-parents-to-quit-work-12806742Nursery fees 'to rise by £1,000 this year' as childcare providers struggle with costs - forcing parents to quit work
I’m sure most of those over 50’s they’re trying to bring back to the workforce are essentially helping the younger generation remain there, it’s mostly grandparents looking after their grandkids where I live, childcare is extortionate in comparison to wages.
Awful. Out of curiosity for those in Scotland, is the situation here as bad in terms of childcare?

Hotel Chocolat usually sell theirs off half price after.

Last year I picked up some Lidl stuff for the children discounted on the Saturday or Sunday. Although their hotel Chocolat type brand really isn't as good as the real thing.

I'd rather have hotel Chocolat once a month than waxy oversweet Cadbury junk a couple of times a week.
yeah last year we bought 1 of their bundles after Easter, think it was around £24 for items that originally were £70.
we skipped the Christmas sales though as wasnt fond of the flavors

That article is incorrect - not everyone is entitled to free hours, somewhat understandably that entitlement is cut off once at least one parent’s salary reaches 6 figs, but less understandably access to the tax free childcare scheme is also cut off.

We need quality nationalised childcare for everyone the current set up is appalling and the amazing nursery practioners are chronically underpaid despite the huge fees.

Awful. Out of curiosity for those in Scotland, is the situation here as bad in terms of childcare?
Yup! I can't afford to work full time and send her to nursery so I work part time and opposite shifts to my partner as that's the only way we can cover childcare.

If I was to put her in full time it would cost me £1600 a month (I'm just outside Glasgow)

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Yup! I can't afford to work full time and send her to nursery so I work part time and opposite shifts to my partner as that's the only way we can cover childcare.

If I was to put her in full time it would cost me £1600 a month (I'm just outside Glasgow)
At this point I'm not surprised people just choose not to work. I'm on the fence in terms of having kids anyway but that definitely tips the scale for no. Just could not afford it which is pretty depressing considering both me and my partner have pretty good jobs well above average wages

At this point I'm not surprised people just choose not to work. I'm on the fence in terms of having kids anyway but that definitely tips the scale for no. Just could not afford it which is pretty depressing considering both me and my partner have pretty good jobs well above average wages
From what I’ve heard childminders are slightly cheaper but obviously it’ll be much of a muchness, saving 10% doesn’t suddenly make the multi year commitment any more appealing. Montessori nurseries might be more accessible depending on your job’s flexibility - they run shorter days, you provide the food so that cost isn’t baked into the price, and they only do term time/some even limit you to 3 days a week. But then you need a job that would be able to accommodate all of the above which I appreciate is rare 😬

That article is incorrect - not everyone is entitled to free hours, somewhat understandably that entitlement is cut off once at least one parent’s salary reaches 6 figs, but less understandably access to the tax free childcare scheme is also cut off.

We need quality nationalised childcare for everyone the current set up is appalling and the amazing nursery practioners are chronically underpaid despite the huge fees.
I think every region is different, we don’t get free hrs in NI our kids start nursery school at 2/3 yr old ( if we choose to send them ) it’s curriculum based, priority is given to single parents and low income/ unemployed . The primary schools have after school and breakfast clubs that run from 8am till 4pm, some schools have increased those hrs till 5.30pm to help working parents, my sons primary have introduced a new programme where sports coaches come in and teach various activities after school until 6pm for £10 an hr, all to alleviate the burden of childcare.It’s awful for those with multiple children trying to afford to work that’s where grandparents have stepped in.
---
From what I’ve heard childminders are slightly cheaper but obviously it’ll be much of a muchness, saving 10% doesn’t suddenly make the multi year commitment any more appealing. Montessori nurseries might be more accessible depending on your job’s flexibility - they run shorter days, you provide the food so that cost isn’t baked into the price, and they only do term time/some even limit you to 3 days a week. But then you need a job that would be able to accommodate all of the above which I appreciate is rare 😬
A friend of mine is a childminder, they are cheaper than nurseries but still very expensive, especially for multiple children, it’s basically only those that can get UC top ups can afford them I think they can claim 80% of the cost back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
It's the same for me and my husband.

We are above average earners but the thought of paying out double our mortgage in nursery fees is mental.

We simply couldn't afford an extra £1600 a month and one person giving up work isn't an option either as they bring in more than that so we would lose out more so.

Reactions: 3
It's the same for me and my husband.

We are above average earners but the thought of paying out double our mortgage in nursery fees is mental.

We simply couldn't afford an extra £1600 a month and one person giving up work isn't an option either as they bring in more than that so we would lose out more so.
Yeah I don't know how people do it. I guess a lot of people I know have a lot of family around them able to help. I don't want to work just to pay for childcare but equally I don't want to not work and be completely financially dependent on someone else. And it wouldn't make sense for my bf to be the one to stop working as he has higher earning potential.

UK needs to do something about this or people will genuinely stop having kids completely. Or stop working and rely on benefits. Neither option is great

I really want kids but the childcare costs make it impossible. My parents are both retired but have already said they aren’t willing to look after any future grandkids, and my partners parents both still work full time. There’s no way we could find that amount of spare money for childcare costs, and we can’t afford for one of us not to work either

• Heart

Same ! I drive an old Nissan Qashqai that I purchased for 3500€. Insurance and repairs are about 1500€ per year which is nothing in comparison to what people pay per month.

I still remember this lady on an old Discontent thread who said that "she had no choice than to buy a car for 7k on a loan". Talk about financial illiteracy.

You cannot say that you do not have money at the end of the month when your disposable income is eaten by a depreciating asset.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.