Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The only people who won't be able to afford to havd kids will be the middle earners who work and get no financial assistance. The wealthy can afford to pay for their own. The low earners are subsidised by the Government.
Well one thing is for sure, fewer kids which could be a blessing in disguise, the planet is IMO over-populated.
(I know that comment will not go down well but that's what forums are for)

Reactions: 7
Well one thing is for sure, fewer kids which could be a blessing in disguise, the planet is IMO over-populated.
One of the many reasons I am childfree by choice. I am grateful now more than ever that we do not have the added expense of a child.

Reactions: 6
Whilst the planet overall is over-populated, a declining population in a developed country isn’t necessarily a good thing.
Our national insurance contributions are a huge pyramid scheme that is about to collapse

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Fewer humans means a better life for most of us.

Companies will be passed tho because we'll have more leverage to ask for better conditions.

Reactions: 3
Anybody with Tesco Mobile? They seem so much more affordable than Ee who I'm with now. I'm not bothered about the latest phones .

Reactions: 1
Fewer humans means a better life for most of us.

Companies will be passed tho because we'll have more leverage to ask for better conditions.
The plague did mean higher wages for those left behind. Other than that how does less people = a better life for the rest of us?

The great famine of china wasn’t caused by overpopulation, but Mao’s policy to remove farm land to make way for the Industrial revolution.

The super polluters with the private jets will carry on the same as before. With a lower population who will replace the workers who do the jobs like fruit picking nobody likes, but benefit us all?

Anybody with Tesco Mobile? They seem so much more affordable than Ee who I'm with now. I'm not bothered about the latest phones .
I’m with them but pay as you go only. Top up £10 a year at the most. All calls are usually just through WhatsApp. I sent one text a month .

Last edited:
My daughter is, they piggy back with o2. I top up her phone with £10 a month and she gets 10gb
I was with giffgaff, they were good and cheap. Also uses o2

Reactions: 1
Used them before and they are fine. Just check if you’re in an area where some providers don’t give good coverage.

I don’t know if/who uses EE coverage. I’m currently with VOXI and they use Vodafone which is the only provider that I can get signal with at home

Used them before and they are fine. Just check if you’re in an area where some providers don’t give good coverage.

I don’t know if/who uses EE coverage. I’m currently with VOXI and they use Vodafone which is the only provider that I can get signal with at home
Tesco use the O2 network. I'm sure there are O2 stores locally so they must have enough customers in the general area.
---
My daughter is, they piggy back with o2. I top up her phone with £10 a month and she gets 10gb
I was with giffgaff, they were good and cheap. Also uses o2
They seem so much better value than Ee, looks like I could scrape between £5/10 from my monthly dd payment and still get similar service.

The plague did mean higher wages for those left behind. Other than that how does less people = a better life for the rest of us?

The great famine of china wasn’t caused by overpopulation, but Mao’s policy to remove farm land to make way for the Industrial revolution.

The super polluters with the private jets will carry on the same as before. With a lower population who will replace the workers who do the jobs like fruit picking nobody likes, but benefit us all?
The jobs that nobody likes have been done by people who like it for centuries. The reason why we have a lot of people who don't like it comes from the fact that their work is exploited by the bigger corporations. Go to South America, Asia or Africa and you will see a lot of small farmers who are proud of picking their fruits and cultivating their crops.

Countries with the lowest populations are enjoying the best quality of life. A quick trip to Nigeria, India or even the Philippines will show you really quickly how bad overpopulation.

Many countries run like a pyramid scheme, the moment the population stops increasing it'll cause huge problems for the countries finances. But thats not to say people on the ground benefit from growing populations, it pretty much depends where in the pyramid scheme you are.

China has just about peaked and India will overtake it.

There's so much to say about world population, but I'll leave it with this graph (it always gets me thinking).

Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE.png

• Wow
Reactions: 6
The jobs that nobody likes have been done by people who like it for centuries. The reason why we have a lot of people who don't like it comes from the fact that their work is exploited by the bigger corporations. Go to South America, Asia or Africa and you will see a lot of small farmers who are proud of picking their fruits and cultivating their crops.

Countries with the lowest populations are enjoying the best quality of life. A quick trip to Nigeria, India or even the Philippines will show you really quickly how bad overpopulation.
We couldn't get enough workers in Kent at one point. If it's not picked it rots in the fields.

"Clock House went to a licensed British agency to find workers from Indonesia and Vietnam." The farm’s recruitment manager, Jane Packham, told BBC Radio 4’s Farming Today that when it tried to source British workers, 7,000 people got in touch, but only 100 actually started the work and “about one” stuck it out.

The higher quality of life seen in the lower population countries comes with universal health care, higher education, parental allowance. More spending requires higher levels of taxation something I don't see happening in the UK. Working towards being more sustainable isn't a bad idea though.

The cities have always attracted more people. Better planning and management is what's needed. We are seeing populations decline in more than one country. Italy has been in decline for 13 years and Japan in particular has been in decline since 2010. They were also the first to allow abortion in 1948. Sri Lanka's birth rates have also fallen from 6.7 children to around 3 per woman. South Korea is in crisis.

Russia gave the priest with 18 children a medal.

Not every woman even wants to have children. There will be deaths because of war, pandemics, starvation etc.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Awful. Out of curiosity for those in Scotland, is the situation here as bad in terms of childcare?
When I worked full time, my childcare costs were just short of £1000 for one toddler and one school aged child. The cost would go up during the school holidays with finding holiday clubs for the school aged child. Both sets of grandparents helped once a week but they're only so much they can do.

It will get much better when my toddler qualifies for the funded hours in a year. But the costs will no doubt go up again when both children need wraparound care and school holiday cover 😖

I've actually made the choice to seek PT work whilst they're at school as it's cheaper for our family regarding childcare costs.

Reactions: 2

The 'active operators' list on the link below shows which networks the virtual mobile operators use.

Probably the best known ones who use EE are 1p Mobile and Utility Warehouse.

They seem so much better value than Ee, looks like I could scrape between £5/10 from my monthly dd payment and still get similar service.
Tesco have been really good, they topped up my daughters phone one month because I couldn't do it while she was at school (needed a code). Giffgaff were great, I only moved back to o2 as I needed a new phone. Went for a s20 fe for £26 a month
This might help if certain networks are better for signal
Screenshot_20230216_120045_Samsung Internet.jpg

Idk if this’ll even make any sense -

Firstly caveat I’m gonna talk about it from the perspective of mums as women tend to be the primary carer whereas men tend to be the primary earners, obvs situations completely opposite to this exist in which case the man is suffering as the mum in this would so hello to any of you lot too. But in all of this women going part time or leaving work for a few years forces them to lose out on so much - even just the immediately obvious PAYE bits like pensions and student loans repayments, which I know ppl say oh it’s interest free/you don’t notice it but mine is currently at 4.5% and had I not had a child and taken Mat and gone back part time initially (didn’t know if I wanted to go back at all) that would have been paid off years ago and I’d see a fair bit more in my take home (it’d cover council tax and winter utilities which I’m sure we can all agree is not a sum of money “you don’t notice” as you’re told by schools and even Martin Lewis!) which would allow us to clear our mortgage faster or even spend in the local economy for some of that trickle down economics the tories keep telling us exists. Like motherhood isn’t just the immediate can I afford it there’s long stretching ramifications that no government goes any way to resolving or talking about. Like why doesn’t mat pay include pensions contributions (esp as the gov made such a hype with that mandatory pensions thing a few years back?) or student loan interest freezes? I’m sure there’s a million other things to consider too like career progression/potential or people that get into debt on mat leave etc but if these sorts of financial losses occurred to any other group of ppl than mothers I can’t help but feel we’d be talking about it more at a national level?!

Reactions: 7
Idk if this’ll even make any sense -

Firstly caveat I’m gonna talk about it from the perspective of mums as women tend to be the primary carer whereas men tend to be the primary earners, obvs situations completely opposite to this exist in which case the man is suffering as the mum in this would so hello to any of you lot too. But in all of this women going part time or leaving work for a few years forces them to lose out on so much - even just the immediately obvious PAYE bits like pensions and student loans repayments, which I know ppl say oh it’s interest free/you don’t notice it but mine is currently at 4.5% and had I not had a child and taken Mat and gone back part time initially (didn’t know if I wanted to go back at all) that would have been paid off years ago and I’d see a fair bit more in my take home (it’d cover council tax and winter utilities which I’m sure we can all agree is not a sum of money “you don’t notice” as you’re told by schools and even Martin Lewis!) which would allow us to clear our mortgage faster or even spend in the local economy for some of that trickle down economics the tories keep telling us exists. Like motherhood isn’t just the immediate can I afford it there’s long stretching ramifications that no government goes any way to resolving or talking about. Like why doesn’t mat pay include pensions contributions (esp as the gov made such a hype with that mandatory pensions thing a few years back?) or student loan interest freezes? I’m sure there’s a million other things to consider too like career progression/potential or people that get into debt on mat leave etc but if these sorts of financial losses occurred to any other group of ppl than mothers I can’t help but feel we’d be talking about it more at a national level?!
Definitely agree with all of this. I’m the primary earner in my relationship, but I still feel like my career would be impacted by MAT leave etc. it’s even more difficult because as I earn double what my partner earns, we’re going to be hugely down on our income during mat leave if we had a baby.
I think the cost of childcare and other pay issues surrounding maternity leave are definitely a huge contributor to the gender pay gap.
The student loan is definitely noticeable - I’m on plan 1 and pay £147 every pay check and still somehow owe more than I did when I left university.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Definitely agree with all of this. I’m the primary earner in my relationship, but I still feel like my career would be impacted by MAT leave etc. it’s even more difficult because as I earn double what my partner earns, we’re going to be hugely down on our income during mat leave if we had a baby.
I think the cost of childcare and other pay issues surrounding maternity leave are definitely a huge contributor to the gender pay gap.
The student loan is definitely noticeable - I’m on plan 1 and pay £147 every pay check and still somehow owe more than I did when I left university.
I initially liked this then did the shocked face re: your last statement! Wtf?! I’m plan 1 too thankfully as plan 2 is another level of a joke I think they’re in double digit interest atm, but currently in my last few months of repayment but it stuns me schools were ever allowed to call it an interest free loan that you don’t miss the repayments for, I’m sure if someone deducted what comes out my pay cheque from them they’d bleeping miss it! Not that I had a choice but to go to uni cos #upwardsmobility lol but with all this talk of childcare and housing etc - I think the best chance for your child to have a good quality of life is a gifted deposit over a private education or university, and that’s MAD that our fucked housing market can warp everything in your life even down to pursuing an education in something you love. 🤯

And yeah that’s true too - even for primary earner mums there’s probably the assumption that you’ll be the primary parent therefore require more flexibility, and the big dog roles can’t or more realistically don’t want to accommodate that so there’s that glass ceiling again. Women really can’t win.

I know there’s something around shared leave btw but I’m not sure how much of it is stat versus company offered but I know someone who did 6 months on/off with her husband because she was the primary earner so might be worth looking into that scheme as it might be useful? 🤞

I initially liked this then did the shocked face re: your last statement! Wtf?! I’m plan 1 too thankfully as plan 2 is another level of a joke I think they’re in double digit interest atm, but currently in my last few months of repayment but it stuns me schools were ever allowed to call it an interest free loan that you don’t miss the repayments for, I’m sure if someone deducted what comes out my pay cheque from them they’d bleeping miss it! Not that I had a choice but to go to uni cos #upwardsmobility lol but with all this talk of childcare and housing etc - I think the best chance for your child to have a good quality of life is a gifted deposit over a private education or university, and that’s MAD that our fucked housing market can warp everything in your life even down to pursuing an education in something you love. 🤯

And yeah that’s true too - even for primary earner mums there’s probably the assumption that you’ll be the primary parent therefore require more flexibility, and the big dog roles can’t or more realistically don’t want to accommodate that so there’s that glass ceiling again. Women really can’t win.

I know there’s something around shared leave btw but I’m not sure how much of it is stat versus company offered but I know someone who did 6 months on/off with her husband because she was the primary earner so might be worth looking into that scheme as it might be useful? 🤞
No one ever explained to me how the interest rates work when I took out a student loan - it definitely would’ve deterred me.

My parents sent me to private school and honestly if they just gave me the money it cost as a house deposit instead I would be so much better off even if I wasn’t in a job that paid as much ad I am now. I don’t think it’s worth it and there are better ways to invest in your child’s future

We’ve looked at shared parental leave but it seems the enhanced pay I get from my company (six months full pay then three months half) would be much better than stat shared parental pay would be.
Although I think we would definitely do ShPL for the last three months as I couldn’t afford unpaid.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.