Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Funnily Hotel Chocolat have just sent an email out to subscribers re: price changes. This email is incorrect, I don’t have a sleekster subscription it’s for their hot chocolate pouches but looks as if the price is increasing by around 2% regardless of name.

View attachment 1959565
How much is the new price per pouch? I must have had dozens of emails telling me to buy their discounted frother. As lovley as it is, I'd rather not have one at home as I know I'd use it daily 😆

Hotel Chocolat prices have been creeping up every 6 months, it does seem like lots of it is due to costs rather than trying to maximize profits (I believe they're privately owned?).

Reactions: 2
How much is the new price per pouch? I must have had dozens of emails telling me to buy their discounted frother. As lovley as it is, I'd rather not have one at home as I know I'd use it daily 😆

Hotel Chocolat prices have been creeping up every 6 months, it does seem like lots of it is due to costs rather than trying to maximize profits (I believe they're privately owned?).
They’ve subsequently sent me another email saying the previous one was a mistake as I’m not a sleekster subscriber! And that the pouches are remaining the same price, which is a pleasant surprise! Maybe it’s the filling/packaging/Labour (as assuming they’re hand placed in?) driving the sleekster’s price increase rather than the chocolate itself? 🤔

I love the velvetiser it’s brilliant and a top 10 purchase of 2022 hands down. I know what you’re saying though it is a big commitment to make for just hot choc - altho apparently you can do summer drinks and cocktails with it but who’s gonna bother lol - but it works for us as we have lots of guests and young nieces/nephews visiting, and neither of us drink or go out v much so it’s our equivalent of a glass of wine I guess. It’s not for everyone but so far two people we know have bought one after trying it at ours so it’s definitely a nice hot choc! Altho I do pause the subscription every other month recently as we’ve built up too much stock 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Do what I do, instead of paying extortionate amount for the chocolate eggs, buy a couple of your favourite chocolate bar blocks. Much cheaper, and it's still chocolate at the end of the day. I say this as an adult though, I suppose kids want the eggs.
My father would mainly buy us Easter eggs after Easter was over. :ROFLMAO:

Cadbury actually do very well as a company. Net sales worldwide in the billions and don’t forget the minimal tax too. It was 200k from the last article I read when they made something like 500million profit In 2021. Chocolate is one area that’s done well over the past three years.

I like my Kitkats, but we went through a Tony’s phase. We also won a instagram Christmas Competition they had running which was to make decorations from the wrappers.

I’m not fussed and and eat anything and have switched to shopping at Lidl now. Their chocolate is actually okay too.

Last edited:
See, that used to be a tactic but I noticed the past couple of years the shops clear the seasonal stuff next day and don't tend to sell it off as discounted anymore. Last year I went to my supermarket and there was not a whiff of Easter after Easter Sunday 😂 unless they sold them all at midnight and I somehow missed it.

Reactions: 6
See, that used to be a tactic but I noticed the past couple of years the shops clear the seasonal stuff next day and don't tend to sell it off as discounted anymore. Last year I went to my supermarket and there was not a whiff of Easter after Easter Sunday 😂 unless they sold them all at midnight and I somehow missed it.
I noticed that too. The products moved from chocolate reindeers at Christmas straight to Chocolate rabbits for Easter. No discounted chocolate at all.

Reactions: 3
I noticed that too. The products moved from chocolate reindeers at Christmas straight to Chocolate rabbits for Easter. No discounted chocolate at all.
The Tesco at Brent Cross in London is where the party is at. ;)

M&S are also good with reductions after Father’s Day their corn pops were down to £1 a box . Their small Easter bags were down to 35p each from £1.75. Saw someone buy 6 bags.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Hotel Chocolat usually sell theirs off half price after.

Last year I picked up some Lidl stuff for the children discounted on the Saturday or Sunday. Although their hotel Chocolat type brand really isn't as good as the real thing.

I'd rather have hotel Chocolat once a month than waxy oversweet Cadbury junk a couple of times a week.

Reactions: 4

Cadbury actually do very well as a company. Net sales worldwide in the billions and don’t forget the minimal tax too. It was 200k from the last article I read when they made something like 500million profit In 2021. Chocolate is one area that’s done well over the past three years.

I like my Kitkats, but we went through a Tony’s phase. We also won a instagram Christmas Competition they had running which was to make decorations from the wrappers.

I’m not fussed and and eat anything and have switched to shopping at Lidl now. Their chocolate is actually okay too.
Have you tried the Way to Go bar (Tony's dupe)?

I'm becoming a fangirl for the guardian at this point, but this is so true. For those at the top and at the bottom the benefits and tax system makes people work part time. It's crazy considering the labour shortage we have. The unemployment figures are at record lows, but that hides the people that have been discouraged from working more than part time.

View attachment 1959035

Ireland set to introduce income related Jobseeker’s Allowance, don’t know how that will pan out.

Reactions: 4
Ireland set to introduce income related Jobseeker’s Allowance, don’t know how that will pan out.
Good. The current system is stupid. Regardless of how much tax you paid you get 70 quid ish. It is no safety net.

Should be 80% of pay for 6 weeks and decrease.

Good. The current system is stupid. Regardless of how much tax you paid you get 70 quid ish. It is no safety net.

Should be 80% of pay for 6 weeks and decrease.
Just wondering if you haven’t found employment within the timeframe allowed does your money just drop anyway? Is this a thing in other EU countries ,it said they’re the last to introduce it?

Hotel Chocolat usually sell theirs off half price after.

Last year I picked up some Lidl stuff for the children discounted on the Saturday or Sunday. Although their hotel Chocolat type brand really isn't as good as the real thing.

I'd rather have hotel Chocolat once a month than waxy oversweet Cadbury junk a couple of times a week.
If anyone lives near Gloucester, once the post-Easter sale on the Hotel Chocolat website is over, everything left over gets sent to their outlet store at Gloucester Quays. Last year they were doing the standard-sized eggs for £9 each, down from £30.

Reactions: 8
If anyone lives near Gloucester, once the post-Easter sale on the Hotel Chocolat website is over, everything left over gets sent to their outlet store at Gloucester Quays. Last year they were doing the standard-sized eggs for £9 each, down from £30.
You must be close to me as this is very local!

There's an outlet in Chester also (or there was). Haven't been there in years but you used to get these good sized bags of rejects for £5. Great value and I love the randomness.

There's an outlet in Chester also (or there was). Haven't been there in years but you used to get these good sized bags of rejects for £5. Great value and I love the randomness.
Cheshire oaks? I was there last week hotel chocolat had a lot of Xmas chocolates for sale which I thought were a pretty good price. Didn’t get any though I prefer Lindt 😄

Reactions: 1
My November to February energy bill was £880. OH isn't particularly bothered but it was a big shock for me which left me feeling sick

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.