Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It can pay to shop around for petrol.

I needed fuel on Sunday evening when coming home from London. I drive a diesel.

This is my experience of petrol stations along the SAME A road.

First and second stations (in zone 4/5 London) - 176.9p (Not paying that!)

Third to fifth stations (a couple of miles down the road (heading out of London in zones 5-6) - 173.9p (Also not paying that!)

Sixth station, just outside M25 - 169.9p (getting better!)

Seventh station two miles further on - 167.9p

I took that option as it was cheaper than fuel round my way at present.

A 9p a litre difference in price within a 10 mile distance!

From what I'm also finding, supermarkets are no longer any cheaper for fuel. I passed a Tesco after I filled up that was charging 171.9p.

Reactions: 5
Lovely for some though 😕
I don't believe in a windfall tax, as that won't bring down costs resulting in savings for us at the pumps. The costs of a tax will just be ultimately passed onto us. It also won't bring in much in the scale of things.

I would much rather see pump prices regulated in the same way electric and gas supposedly is. Looking at wholesale prices and deeming what is an acceptable profit for the fuel companies.

Even with what is going on in the world, I would not be surprised in the slightest if the wholesale cost of a litre is still actually around £1 or less.

The rest (we pay) is just profit and tax.

Reactions: 4
I don't believe in a windfall tax, as that won't bring down costs resulting in savings for us at the pumps. The costs of a tax will just be ultimately passed onto us. It also won't bring in much in the scale of things.

I would much rather see pump prices regulated in the same way electric and gas supposedly is. Looking at wholesale prices and deeming what is an acceptable profit for the fuel companies.

Even with what is going on in the world, I would not be surprised in the slightest if the wholesale cost of a litre is still actually around £1 or less.

The rest (we pay) is just profit and tax.
We’re unregulated here and the oil companies choose their own price even when the wholesale prices are low they still increase them, has always been that way.There does need to be better regulations to suit everyone,it’s always one sided🙄

Reactions: 2
Had my new water bill through. I pay 4 weekly and it’s gone up by £10 every 4 weeks. Biggest increase I’ve ever seen for water. Anyone else had their new bill through and seen similar increases?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
No, I’ve always worried that would cost me more as I’m not frugal with water.
Depends on number of people in house. I've just got my water meter bill for 2023/2024 and it's £12 a month.
Martin explains better than I could. 😄 and you could use the calculator.
I love his calculators 😁

Had my new water bill through. I pay 4 weekly and it’s gone up by £10 every 4 weeks. Biggest increase I’ve ever seen for water. Anyone else had their new bill through and seen similar increases?
What's your monthly bill? I pay £25.50 a month with south west water (one of the most expensive) I think we're low users

Reactions: 1
What's your monthly bill? I pay £25.50 a month with south west water (one of the most expensive) I think we're low users
Mine is now £50 every 4 weeks. I’m with United Utilities. I live with my son.

• Wow
  • Haha
Mines the same. No water meter but you can’t get rid once it’s installed and I’d definitely regret it if I end up having multiple kids! I have a large garden too.

Last edited:
Mines the same. No water meter but you can’t get rid once it’s installed and I’d definite6 regret it if I end up having multiple kids! I have a large garden too.
I always heard that they give you a year or twos grace to see if you want to keep it. Should mention that in your water company's details about water meters

Reactions: 1
Water is our only cheap bill, as in it’s less than Netflix lol, but that’s because we only have supply to the house. There’s absolutely no way I’d get a meter and go through the grief of credit/debit balances on yet another utility.

Its the food costs that are driving me crazy. Today at Tesco 2 bags of shoppping £68 I dont even feel I bought anything that special.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Mine went to £65 with UU! It’s only me and two kids, I have a water meter and thought they’re suppose to be cheaper, I emailed them and told them I cannot afford that.

• Sad
our water for Me & Mum was £63.32. Not been told the amount for this next Year yet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.