Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We are with octopus and pay our exact amount by DD every month. Have done since we moved just over a year ago

Reactions: 1
We are with octopus and pay our exact amount by DD every month. Have done since we moved just over a year ago
I was going to say I do think there’s another option where you pay for usage, obviously that then means heavier bills in the winter and leaner in the summer but if you’re okay with that then definitely preferable as you still benefit from the cheaper DD rates!

Tbh I’m half tempted to change over to it cos it is an awful lot of money to have sat earning 0 interest when rates of even the most basic easy access savers are ever increasing?

If you want to pay for what you use rather than what they say is your average over 12 months then variable dd is best, you still get the dd lower price cap but won't be in credit as far as I know

We will be with octopus soon so we'll hopefully do that. Bulb have become so awful to deal with since the government bailed them out. We pay a month in advance but they still want us to build more credit. I have told them not to contact me any more as it felt like harassment and we've never missed a payment or gone into debit.

If you need to apply for a passport renewal anyway , it would be best to get your application in now as prices will be going up from the second of feb by £7 for an adult and £4.50 for a child (online prices).

Reactions: 2
Is anyone with eon.next? I've been giving my meter readings monthly and it was billing me and showing the monthly useage on the homepage but hasn't done that since Oct/Nov for gas and Sept for electricity 😕

The ban on installing prepayment meters missing the point again. I seen a minister argue on QT that the additional cost is to cover merchant fees but that’s rubbish for those of us on PAYG who top up online. I’d wager it costs them less than all the other options.

Yel

Has anyone switched to the octopus variable feed? Looks like it's a way to save money, but also giving me a bit of a migraine reading about it.

Has anyone switched to the octopus variable feed? Looks like it's a way to save money, but also giving me a bit of a migraine reading about it.

The Octopus fb group I'm on says tracker is cheaper than flexible. Agile looked good too but apparently aren't taking any more on this one now

Last edited:
Is anyone with eon.next? I've been giving my meter readings monthly and it was billing me and showing the monthly useage on the homepage but hasn't done that since Oct/Nov for gas and Sept for electricity 😕
I am with Eon Next and having a multitude of issues with them since July last year, generally I find their customer service terrible but I have found the quickest way to contact them is through Whatsapp or Facebook don't bother with emails as they've not responded to one I've sent!

I am on a smart meter which hasn't been working since July - doesn't show any usage at all for gas on my in home display, and doesn't send auto readings. I was supplying manual readings for gas up until December, when the screen on my gas box outside went completely blank and now I can't send readings at all. Eon have told me they can't send someone out to my property until we lose gas supply :mad: so I'm stuck on them constantly chasing me for a reading, me telling them I can't provide it because my smart meter doesn't work and the screen on my meter for me to manually do it also doesn't work! An endless, and very frustrating circle! Estimated bills they are giving me are extortionate!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4

Yel

Interest rates up to 4%.

I think many miss the wood for the trees with this. The time to kick up a fuss was when they were artificially kept so low and the can was kicked
down the road pretending the new future forever more was virtually 0 interest rates.

It's a real shame things were'nt funadmentally sorted back in 2008 when they had the chance.

1675339881171.png

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Glad I sorted my remortgage deal last month. 5 year fix at 4.4% will take that for a win
Mortgage rates are much lower now than a few months ago. I’m a first time buyer with a 10% deposit and have been offered 4.75%. I don’t think they’ll return to october levels any time soon

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Mortgage rates are much lower now than a few months ago. I’m a first time buyer with a 10% deposit and have been offered 4.75%. I don’t think they’ll return to october levels any time soon
I thought mortgage rates were up at 6% especially with the increase today of the base rate? We fixed for 5 years in July at 3.5% seemed high at the time... obviously not anymore!

• Sad
I thought mortgage rates were up at 6% especially with the increase today of the base rate? We fixed for 5 years in July at 3.5% seemed high at the time... obviously not anymore!
The rate increases today make no difference to fixed rate products available as they would’ve already factored it in months ago. Mortgage fixes aren’t exactly dictated by base rates they’re dictated by SONIA swap rates.
Mortgage rates were 6% in October but are no longer at those levels unless you have terrible credit.
If you look on the Halifax website you can see what the rates are for different LTV ratios https://www.halifax-intermediaries.co.uk/products/mortgage-product-search.html

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Yel

They've now changed the freedom pass so that you can't use it before 9am on weekdays.

Some people are outraged that "working pensioners" have to pay to travel into work now. Ignoring that it's not pensioners as it's 60-pension age, people are still lucky enough that their journey home and every other journey is free.

I get it must be annoying having to pay for something that was free, but they're still getting a great deal. I'm sure this used to be the rules with the freedom pass, always struck me as odd that they removed the restriction when the service was so busy. So much vast generation inequality has been ignored for a long time.

Reactions: 9
They've now changed the freedom pass so that you can't use it before 9am on weekdays.

Some people are outraged that "working pensioners" have to pay to travel into work now. Ignoring that it's not pensioners as it's 60-pension age, people are still lucky enough that their journey home and every other journey is free.

I get it must be annoying having to pay for something that was free, but they're still getting a great deal. I'm sure this used to be the rules with the freedom pass, always struck me as odd that they removed the restriction when the service was so busy. So much vast generation inequality has been ignored for a long time.
I believe certain disabilities are also eligible for these too, like epilepsy because you can’t hold a license. Iirc it was a few years ago they did this? Our local Facebook group was carnage when they did 😬

Yel

I believe certain disabilities are also eligible for these too, like epilepsy because you can’t hold a license. Iirc it was a few years ago they did this? Our local Facebook group was carnage when they did 😬
Ah I didn't realise the disabled pass was called a disabled freedom pass. Seems odd to call two very different schemes both a type of freedom pass. Seems like it's putting the covid changes in effect to be perm.

I remember in Newcastle they changed the pensioner scheme to ask for a £20 admin fee once every 5 years to get the card for free unlimited travel on the buses, trains, metro and people took to the streets with their outrage 😶

Changes to Freedom Pass Travel Times
From Wednesday 18 January 2023, the temporary suspension of free travel for Older Person's Freedom Pass and 60+ London Oyster photocard holders between 04:30 and 09:00 on weekdays, which was put in place during the pandemic, will become permanent.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.