Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Food/toiletries price increases are just insane. Plus I hate the way manufacturers reduce package sizes and contents yet charge the same, or more. As if customers won't notice! 😬🙁

Reactions: 16
I don't know if you guys noticed at your supermarkets but a lot of big brands have been left on the shelves.

The other day I went to do some quick groceries and I was surprised to see that juices such as Tropicana, Nescafé coffees, Activia yogurts and McCain products were left untouched. While the supermarket's brands and the cheaper brands' shelves were empty 😶

I am praying for this to push the big brands prices down 🙏

Reactions: 10
All of this chat about pensions/no retirement etc makes me happy I am childfree by choice. The couldn't imagine bringing a child into this hell hole world. What would it be like once they grow up? Yikes.
---

Its the food costs that are driving me crazy. Today at Tesco 2 bags of shoppping £68 I dont even feel I bought anything that special.
Grocery costs are driving me nuts and there's only two of us.

I try my best to shop around for sales but it's a pain.

I was $45 at Costco.
Yogurt x3
Bread loaves x3
Big jar of olives
Peanut butter x2
Rotisserie chicken

Next week I will need toilet paper, nuts and wipes from there.

I was $40 at Walmart.
Cucumber
Pepper (they tried to charge $3 for one red pepper!!)
Bananas
Mushrooms
Spinach
Arugula
Coffee
Sour cream
Crisps
Milk
Lemons

Then at Superstore almost $50
Bag of snap peas
Bag of carrots
Bag of apples
Flour
Parsnips
Rice cakes
Can of chickpeas x3
Diced tomatoes x 1
Tomato paste
Black beans x 1
Cheese

That's $135 which would be £80.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Food/toiletries price increases are just insane. Plus I hate the way manufacturers reduce package sizes and contents yet charge the same, or more. As if customers won't notice! 😬🙁
I buy Innocent smoothies when they are on offer (not full price)... The last two bottles I got were shockingly more watery than the last. 🤔 And what's with crisp multipacks going from standard 6 pack to 5 pack?! Same bloomin' price though. I am cutting back on processed snacks though, but still!
---

I don't know if you guys noticed at your supermarkets but a lot of big brands have been left on the shelves.

The other day I went to do some quick groceries and I was surprised to see that juices such as Tropicana, Nescafé coffees, Activia yogurts and McCain products were left untouched. While the supermarket's brands and the cheaper brands' shelves were empty 😶

I have noticed the Heinz stuff isn't shifting in my local shop.

Reactions: 6
I've noticed in asda all of the just essentials is in people's trolley. They refer the juice and cheese over the brand at least

Yel

Lots of commodity prices have peaked and now fallen.

I spend a lot of time in France and the exact same lidl products are often 10-20% higher compared to the UK. Probably due to the higher costs of running a business in France.

Screenshot_20230208_082143_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230208_082306_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2
Food prices are crazy. My husband and I used to spend about £80/week. I can't remember the last time our shopping came in under £110, and we shop in Aldi, occasionally Asda.

Reactions: 10
Rent is going up 7% this year, will get a letter later in the month with amounts but roughly £10pw. Takes my rent to higher than what I was paying privately for a bigger house!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Can you enter in a negotiation with them to reduce the rent increase?

My landlord wanted to increase mine (again 🙄). I showed him an email proving that I asked for a pay raise from my company to balance the rent increase and got denied. So he cancelled the rent increase completely and told me that we'll talk about it next year.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I've always bought supermarket own/basic brands, unfortunately a lot of them seem not to be in stock at the moment. I'm still not going to pay crazy prices for heinz or mcvities stuff, we'll do without.
If you insist on branded food, B&M and poundland are often a good source, though often in smaller quantities.
I think the big brands might be forced to reduce their prices, Tesco have already butted heads with heinz. Plus some customers will be discovering that supermarket brands are just as good once you get used to them.

Reactions: 3
Can you enter in a negotiation with them to reduce the rent increase?

My landlord wanted to increase mine (again 🙄). I showed him an email proving that I asked for a pay raise from my company to balance the rent increase and got denied. So he cancelled the rent increase completely and told me that we'll talk about it next year.
It's housing association so goes up annually 😔 they've got a fund to help people who will struggle. I'll be fine it's just a bit annoying it's now more than my old big 3 bed which was slightly closer to the secondary my eldest goes to so she'd of got the bus for free!! Moved half a mile down the road so have to pay 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I agree.

One such example. The Size of Quality Street tins over the years.

f05c6fff14a2aa1496e5a03a43e35913.png

By this much since 2009.

KS_TABLE_QUALITYST.jpg

The only thing that hasn't shrunk is the price.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Had our water for the year total arrive, £553.70 so around £69.23 a Month. Which to me is crazy for 2 people but oh well nothing I can do about it

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Had our water for the year total arrive, £553.70 so around £69.23 a Month. Which to me is crazy for 2 people but oh well nothing I can do about it
Why don't you challenge it? £70 a month sounds ridiculous for two people: I live by myself and my water bill averages around £45 a quarter.

Reactions: 1
Why don't you challenge it? £70 a month sounds ridiculous for two people: I live by myself and my water bill averages around £45 a quarter.
Didnt know that was possible, also from talking to Neighbours its seems a normal amount for our road

Is this based on rateable value/other fixed rate? Your water supplier should have info on their website for working out your approx. use & how much you could save on a meter.

Is this based on rateable value/other fixed rate? Your water supplier should have info on their website for working out your approx. use & how much you could save on a meter.
Thanks I looked & we could save £100-200. I live with Mum though and she's for some reason anti water meters/smart meters etc. Might try explain how big a difference it'd make

Thanks I looked & we could save £100-200. I live with Mum though and she's for some reason anti water meters/smart meters etc. Might try explain how big a difference it'd make
See my post on previous page (41) which has a calculator to see what you'd save.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.