Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sad like pathetic sad as in upsetting. People sitting for hours in the dark for hours with their kids to save £1 odd. Just a sad state of affairs the country is in. It shouldn't have to be like this.
Me and my husband quite enjoy it. But we have been together a long time and have to find new ways of keeping things interesting 🤣🤣🤣

For us it's a challenge and makes us actually sit and talk or read a book etc. rather than just watching TV sat next to each other.

They are just experiments at the moment and some people/families will find it too difficult. But as low peak time energy users, it isn't that hard for us to cut back every further and ease the burden on the grid.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve been back in touch with British Gas again today. That’s over 2 months since they closed my old account and moved me over onto their new system which Ive never been able to access. Anyways they are now saying on 25th Jan they are launching an app and then I will finally be able to view my account details….let’s see 🤷🏻‍♀️
So no British Gas app launch on the 25th and I have still no access to my account, it’s been 3 months now. I’ve put in a complaint and waiting to hear back. Anyone else having issues accessing their account?

I think it's really sad to see the people posting online about sitting hours in the dark with nothing on to see how much they save
It's humiliating. I wouldn't do it even if it saved half my bill. Energy usage is something I won't move an inch on. It's not a luxury but a necessity. What next? Taxed for how much air we breathe? Once you give into these ridiculous limits imposed on us its the end.

Reactions: 11
So no British Gas app launch on the 25th and I have still no access to my account, it’s been 3 months now. I’ve put in a complaint and waiting to hear back. Anyone else having issues accessing their account?
No problems with me, would be nice to get the quarterly bill. I've noticed that with the new
system BG do not email you to acknowledge your meter readings anymore.

Reactions: 1
No problems with me, would be nice to get the quarterly bill. I've noticed that with the new
system BG do not email you to acknowledge your meter readings anymore.
Ah so your on the new system. We you transferred straight over from one to the other?

Ah so your on the new system. We you transferred straight over from one to the other?
Yes, no real issues at all, I didn't even have to re input the banking details, I did in fact
reply to you at the beginning of the month.

My understanding of it is that they’re doing these experiments to try and reduce the burden on the national grid at peak times, so to ensure stability/no black outs? For that reason alone I’d participate even if it was free 🤷🏻‍♀️ pls correct me if that assumption is wrong as I imagine this thread knows lots about it!

Sadly even the max payment of £3 wouldn’t even cover standing fees for a week would it?
This is true. It's not really about saving money. It's also not required to sit in the dark, just not to use washing machines, dryers, electric cookers, etc at these times.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This is true. It's not really about saving money. It's also not required to sit in the dark, just not to use washing machines, dryers, electric cookers, etc at these times.
Yeah like I’m cool with anything that pushes me to reconsider how I do things at home whether it’s for the environment or for money!

Like the stage of life our family are at is such that we would all be in the same room at the same time anyway and probably without the tv on, but if you had teens etc it wouldn’t be hard to suggest all doing something in the one room together or going screen free for an evening or doing an evening walk or something. 🤷🏻‍♀️ If I lived alone I’d probably just go out tbh 😂 Like I don’t think any of those scenarios are tragic or Dickensian personally but understand everyone has different appetites for this stuff. Just fingers crossed there aren’t black outs and especially not in winter. Tbh I’d even opt in for black out sessions if it was needed, but we do have continuous power supplies so it wouldn’t be bad.

Reactions: 2
FFS!!! I'm waiting for the gas/leccy bill, I really want to know where I stand!!
I logged onto BG last night and they are asking for meter readings AGAIN!!
I only submitted them last weekend, anyway I'm submitted new readings
today but when the bill will become available I haven't a bloody clue.
UPDATE!

The Gas bill arrived, we are £340 in debit, I knew we were not paying enough!
Awaiting for the leccy bill now.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Thanks for this. That scammer programme I mentioned earlier has really shook me up so I want to simplify my digital life.
I’m sure you already know this but two factor authentication on email and socials is also a great move. Also if you’ve got an iPhone they tell you any compromised passwords that need changing in the keychain section. Good luck ❤

Wind generation is turned off and people paid to stop producing it because sometimes there's too much and there's not the infrastructure to deliver it to the south of the country. o_O This seems bonkers but true.

---

On the windiest days, we deliberately capped the amount of power our turbines were producing, reducing the total amount generated by 6%. In fact, it’s worse than that: not only did we turn off our turbines, but we paid the owners of windfarms to turn them off. This is called curtailment.

In 2022, a year characterized by extraordinary hikes in energy prices for consumers, we spent £215m on turning windfarms off, and then another £717m turning on gas power plants to replace the lost wind power. In the process, we emitted an extra 1.5 million tonnes of CO2.

Wind generation is turned off and people paid to stop producing it because sometimes there's too much and there's not the infrastructure to deliver it to the south of the country. o_O This seems bonkers but true.

---

On the windiest days, we deliberately capped the amount of power our turbines were producing, reducing the total amount generated by 6%. In fact, it’s worse than that: not only did we turn off our turbines, but we paid the owners of windfarms to turn them off. This is called curtailment.

In 2022, a year characterized by extraordinary hikes in energy prices for consumers, we spent £215m on turning windfarms off, and then another £717m turning on gas power plants to replace the lost wind power. In the process, we emitted an extra 1.5 million tonnes of CO2.

Yes, I was perplexed seeing wind turbines switched off on very windy days. Who is the brains behind British energy? A toddler could do better.

Reactions: 4
Nearrrrrrly pay day for me, (Tues). This month (and this last week) has dragged so much, in terms of managing what's left of my disposable income.

Reactions: 4
1 more day until payday, been on sick leave for 2 weeks then start mat leave pay in February 😖 Does anyone know if employers are meant to tell you what your monthly payments will be?
I feel a bit in limbo just waiting each month to find out the pennies I get.

1 more day until payday, been on sick leave for 2 weeks then start mat leave pay in February 😖 Does anyone know if employers are meant to tell you what your monthly payments will be?
The HR dept should have sat down with you and had a meeting but maybe hasn’t happened if you’ve been off. Might be worth asking your manager for their details as you will need to know what to expect.

I hope you’re feeling better and congratulations 💐 I worked for a huge company when I went on mat and they provided me with a .pdf that showed my 90% payment schedule and then wrote something like then down to £xx per week. From memory my monthly stat payments varied monthly as they’re paid out weekly and obvs you get 4 or 5 week months. But remember you still accrue annual leave in that time and you’re entitled to 10 keep in touch days that are fully paid even if you “only” pop in for a bit, so might be worth mentioning them in any meeting you have.

Reactions: 3
Your Manager should be able to ask HR on your behalf. If you don't want your Manager to know about your situation, you can ask HR directly.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.