Depher/CPH CIC #2 The erratic and reactive way you run this causes half your problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The accounts say the house was bought from reserves from previous years...

View attachment 2788565

...but those reserves were also generated from donations and not the profit of paid work.
An investment property to generate a return “Which should be greater than what can otherwise be achieved in interest from the bank”…

I’m getting 5.5% on my savings. What is he getting for the rent, and is it coming from the public purse by way of housing benefit??

Reactions: 16
He made £72,793 in profit from paid work from 2018 to 2023. That is less than the value of the house. So the house was bought from donations. Alternatively, paid work profits have not been used for free work. Pick one.

1709279825758.png

But even if we assume all the profits from paid work were used for free work, once added to the donations they would make up only 4% of the funding for free work over the last five years.

And over a third of donations to date are now in the house and cash in the bank.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
He must have thought he’d get away with all of this. What-a-mistaka-to-maka

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Holy tit! I had seen Depher referred to on other threads, but had skimmed over it as I didn’t know who or what a Depher was.

I’m all caught up now and bleeping hell, this is the motherlode of grift!

thank you to you all for the diligence here. It’s absolutely shocking to see what Slippin’ Jimmy here has pulled off.

Reactions: 25
Here's what he said to the CIC regulator.

1709282693971.png

This is the first mention to the CIC regulator that free energy bill payments, free food shopping and free work for government departments are what this CIC does.

The use of the word 'earnings' here is interesting with the respect to the house. Really this means profits from donations.

Reactions: 13
He is, it seems, possibly the most not very bright, not very bright person, I've had the displeasure of reading about.

How did he think this would all work out? The only answer for me is that he is unable to think. That's why he thought this would work.

The incontinence stuff is also weird. Anyone of us who has ever suffered an "abdominal issue" short or long term, don't tend to want to tell the world in ~250 characters.
---
An investment property to generate a return “Which should be greater than what can otherwise be achieved in interest from the bank”…

I’m getting 5.5% on my savings. What is he getting for the rent, and is it coming from the public purse by way of housing benefit??
I mean if you buy the right property you can easily gross in more than 6%. But it's taxable and carries a risk. And locks up capital in a CIC created to allow the distribution of essential services rather than the holding of long term investments (all the more long term when tenanted. You can't sell a tenanted property quickly for full vacancy value). If a boiler costs £2000 (too high I know) 70k allows you to buy 35. The rent (maybe 500-600 a month max?) would only allow you to pay for one every 4 months or more... at the maximum, 3 a year.

It's a terrible investment for a CIC aimed at helping people with heating.

If it was such a great investment, why didn't they buy 5, 4 of which weren't for family? With the cash held. Could it be because it's not a great investment?

I've diverted money out of property in the last couple of years because overall it isn't the best investment, right now, for my circumstances. Which is all the more reason not to seek to rent to friends and family. Clouds your judgment on numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Why is he doing free work for the police and government departments? is he going round putting boilers in their offices??
given he won't do free installations in properties that are rented, it seems obscene that he's doing free work for the government estate. either it's: a lie, a misrepresentation, or he's mislead those who donate small/large sums of money to help those in dire circumstances.

He is, it seems, possibly the most not very bright, not very bright person, I've had the displeasure of reading about.

How did he think this would all work out? The only answer for me is that he is unable to think. That's why he thought this would work.

The incontinence stuff is also weird. Anyone of us who has ever suffered an "abdominal issue" short or long term, don't tend to want to tell the world in ~250 characters.
---

I mean if you buy the right property you can easily gross in more than 6%. But it's taxable and carries a risk. And locks up capital in a CIC created to allow the distribution of essential services rather than the holding of long term investments (all the more long term when tenanted. You can't sell a tenanted property quickly for full vacancy value). If a boiler costs £2000 (too high I know) 70k allows you to buy 35. The rent (maybe 500-600 a month max?) would only allow you to pay for one every 4 months or more... at the maximum, 3 a year.

If it was such a great investment, why didn't they buy 5, 4 of which weren't for family? With the cash held. Could it be because it's not a great investment?

I've diverted money out of property in the last couple of years because overall it isn't the best investment, right now, for my circumstances. Which is all the more reason not to seek to rent to friends and family. Clouds your judgment on numbers.
The accounts only refer to the house as an investment. There is no mention whatsoever about the role of the CIC as a landlord.

Reactions: 10

---

Throughout this whole period he’s been begging on Twitter for donations from the public for plumbing work when he’s had more cash in the bank than he can actually spend on plumbing.
The job of his CIC is not to accumulate cash or invest it for the future, it is to use profits/income for a social purpose. If you are not spending it you should not be soliciting donations.
the level of overheads/admin is insane compared to t/o and cost of sales. As I’ve said before Depher is a job (and housing) creation scheme for his family.
---
It seems so far that the CIC regulator are as toothless as the ASA.
Probably. Does anyone know if they ever take enforcement action?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Throughout this whole period he’s been begging on Twitter for donations from the public for plumbing work when he’s had more cash in the bank than he can actually spend on plumbing.
The job of his CIC is not to accumulate cash or invest it for the future, it is to use profits/income for a social purpose. If you are not spending it you should not be soliciting donations.
the level of overheads/admin is insane compared to t/o and cost of sales. As I’ve said before Depher is a job (and housing) creation scheme for his family.
---

Probably. Does anyone know if they ever take enforcement action?
There are many people with inadequate heating mind. When you look at the boiler install list he posted, I was shocked there were so few. Then more shocked how much money there was 1. Being kept and 2. Being used on expenses (that aren't much related to the boilers unless you have gas safe installing employees sat around doing nothing for most of the time).

Reactions: 12
There are many people with inadequate heating mind. When you look at the boiler install list he posted, I was shocked there were so few. Then more shocked how much money there was 1. Being kept and 2. Being used on expenses (that aren't much related to the boilers unless you have gas safe installing employees sat around doing nothing for most of the time).
it’s almost like he was much more successful at getting donations than getting new plumbing jobs, isn’t it.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
yes, i've given this some thought too. i had thought of it alongside charities who are constantly out with the begging bowl despite having millions (sometimes hundreds of millions) in the bank. but then i reminded myself he isn't a charity and that isn't how CICs work.

he's playing a very dangerous game here. i bet Hugh Grant wouldn't have given 20k if he'd known the half of it.

Reactions: 19
I bet St Jimmy will be glad he nominated the RNLI for the CIC asset lock when he finds himself up tit creek without a paddle when the authorities come.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Yeah I’m sure Hugh Grant wishes he hadn’t attached his name to this guy.
Hugh wont miss the £20k, but how many people could have been helped if the money had been used for its proper purpose instead of sitting in the bank or used to pay for vans and a house?

Yeah I’m sure Hugh Grant wishes he hadn’t attached his name to this guy.
Hugh wont miss the £20k, but how many people could have been helped if the money had been used for its proper purpose instead of sitting in the bank or used to pay for vans and a house?
He's got enough money not to miss it. But he also has deep enough pockets to seek to recover it, if he so chose to. He seems to stick to his principles so I'm wondering if anything will come from it.

Reactions: 12
I *think* Hugh Grant has given Jimmy two lots of £20k. One donation was a couple of years ago.
He wouldn't miss the money, but his involvement has legitimised Depher, and probably encouraged others to donate. Rather like Nigella with Monroe.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.