Deliciously Ella - Ella Mills Woodward and Plants By DE

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been curious about their place too. I assumed it was near Kensington Park Gardens, but definitely West London. The decor is not my taste and naturally taste is subjective, however their style looks quite old fashioned for their age, and not in a fun and quirky way, but like it was designed by someone a lot older than them.
I thought that too, very like an old grandma house? It looks huge too! Oh to inherit that much money... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 5
The wealth really doesn’t fit in with the brand. I haven’t followed her for some time now but I was a big fan in the beginning. From her story I thought she was just a normal girl who had grown a very humble blog. When I found out how privileged she was, the story just didn’t seem authentic.
I think she doesn’t draw attention to it because of this.
Plus she comes across like she has absolutely no idea how the average person lives. She probably has no idea how privileged she is compared to others, so feels it’s not relevant.
I agree the blog belies her privileged roots, but I think the wealth is 100% on-brand. It’s a very white, thin, disposable income (packaged snacks) and reasonable cooking skills (“exotic” ingredients: cashews, quinoa, avocado...) type of plant-based living, not just “here’s some good ways to eat more vegetables!”

Reactions: 11
I agree the blog belies her privileged roots, but I think the wealth is 100% on-brand. It’s a very white, thin, disposable income (packaged snacks) and reasonable cooking skills (“exotic” ingredients: cashews, quinoa, avocado...) type of plant-based living, not just “here’s some good ways to eat more vegetables!”
Yes couldn’t agree with you more actually. I think my wording wasn’t correct - maybe it’s not in her personality brand type thing - ‘I was ill, started cooking etc, made me better, now I’m all about kindness and trying to make it accessible for everyone etc.’ Which is absolute rubbish in my opinion. Funnily enough she’s left out the bit about her Mum being a Sainsbury and being from one of the wealthiest families in the country. (Don’t know if that’s true but I read it somewhere).

Reactions: 3
The wealth really doesn’t fit in with the brand. I haven’t followed her for some time now but I was a big fan in the beginning. From her story I thought she was just a normal girl who had grown a very humble blog. When I found out how privileged she was, the story just didn’t seem authentic.
I think she doesn’t draw attention to it because of this.
Plus she comes across like she has absolutely no idea how the average person lives. She probably has no idea how privileged she is compared to others, so feels it’s not relevant.
Yes this really irritated me. It seemed like she was an average girl who had made a website. The truth is, although social media/blogging is seen as meritocratic. It does still favour the wealthy who have more to spend on aesthetics and, in this case, food.

She probably wouldn’t even have got diagnosed (with the illness she apparently cured herself of by scoffing avocados all day - the later admitting that she’d been taking symprove from the very beginnning) on the NHS. I’m not denying it’s not a credible illness but it does seem very prevalent among wealthy young women...

Reactions: 4
Yes couldn’t agree with you more actually. I think my wording wasn’t correct - maybe it’s not in her personality brand type thing - ‘I was ill, started cooking etc, made me better, now I’m all about kindness and trying to make it accessible for everyone etc.’ Which is absolute rubbish in my opinion. Funnily enough she’s left out the bit about her Mum being a Sainsbury and being from one of the wealthiest families in the country. (Don’t know if that’s true but I read it somewhere).
Definitely, and she’s edited her origin story, too. The brand used to focus far more on the wellness side of things, with dubious health advice to boot, and when it all started kicking off (I believe some other faux advice givers got into hot water over their health claims, too), she rejigged her About Me. My sister has her original cook book and I’m sure that intro is heavier on the nutriwaffle. Ella’s doing an actual nutrition course, too, now - not that I’ve investigated it - so will be interesting to see how her approach evolves, or not.

Matt’s family will be well-off, too, and they moved in and got married pretty sharpish. No one comes from nowhere, eh!

Definitely, and she’s edited her origin story, too. The brand used to focus far more on the wellness side of things, with dubious health advice to boot, and when it all started kicking off (I believe some other faux advice givers got into hot water over their health claims, too), she rejigged her About Me. My sister has her original cook book and I’m sure that intro is heavier on the nutriwaffle. Ella’s doing an actual nutrition course, too, now - not that I’ve investigated it - so will be interesting to see how her approach evolves, or not.

Matt’s family will be well-off, too, and they moved in and got married pretty sharpish. No one comes from nowhere, eh!
Some of the health advice she has given is just insane, things like when you drink milk your body actually gets rid of calcium so it is bad for your bones. I don't get why these people aren't reported to advertising standards. Is her course for a nutritionist or dietician? because the former doesn't have to have a real scientific basis and the qualification has no weigh, anyone could claim to be a nutritionist with no knowledge of anything. highly dangerous IMO

Reactions: 8
Some of the health advice she has given is just insane, things like when you drink milk your body actually gets rid of calcium so it is bad for your bones. I don't get why these people aren't reported to advertising standards. Is her course for a nutritionist or dietician? because the former doesn't have to have a real scientific basis and the qualification has no weigh, anyone could claim to be a nutritionist with no knowledge of anything. highly dangerous IMO
She is an absolute quack.

Reactions: 8
I know, it’s ridiculous. And yet she was happy to give Skye formula as she “couldn’t” breastfeed - ignoring the fact that she was back at work almost immediately, and admits this herself. I don’t care how anyone feeds their child, but I do think it’s dishonest to be peddling such calcium-leeching nonsense.

I know she previously did a qualification in naturopathic nutrition. I think this one is a nutritionist degree, but I can’t find anything. She posts Stories about it every so often. Would be interesting to see what happens to the ethos of Deliciously Ella if it was a dietitian course, though!

I know, it’s ridiculous. And yet she was happy to give Skye formula as she “couldn’t” breastfeed - ignoring the fact that she was back at work almost immediately, and admits this herself. I don’t care how anyone feeds their child, but I do think it’s dishonest to be peddling such calcium-leeching nonsense.

I know she previously did a qualification in naturopathic nutrition. I think this one is a nutritionist degree, but I can’t find anything. She posts Stories about it every so often. Would be interesting to see what happens to the ethos of Deliciously Ella if it was a dietitian course, though!
I imagine it won't change at all as she has probably just chosen a course that fits into what she already believes. Even a degree in nutrition is not the same as a dietcian one, there aren't really clear guidelines on it, from what I have understood

I imagine it won't change at all as she has probably just chosen a course that fits into what she already believes. Even a degree in nutrition is not the same as a dietcian one, there aren't really clear guidelines on it, from what I have understood
Yeah, if she goes for nutrition then she can just validate what she already peddles. These people are absolute snakes!

Sooo mention here of her formula feeding skye and then there is a story with a not so subtle peek at her freezer of breastmilk 👀

• Haha

Yes the advice on her original blog was so crazy. I used to be a bit obsessed with her recipes in the beginning (I’m quite embarrassed to say that now!) but I specifically remember someone asked about something related to losing weight as a blog comment and she replied that her recipes contained no processed ingredients or refined sugars so you could eat as much as you wanted without having to worry about your waistline. She actually said that!
She was doing the naturopathic qualification in the beginning too, I guess she hasn’t got round to finishing yet, even though the advice she gives or has given on nutrition she appears to be an ‘expert’. It’s not surprising she’s had to get rid of that part of the blog.
Also I remember if I wanted to make anything sweet from her recipes, I had to buy multiple boxes of dates, they were really expensive and surely just as sugary as a chocolate bar, if you eat loads of them! But there I was thinking I was being healthy...

Yes Matt is from a wealthy family too I believe.

Reactions: 10
This article is a few years old now but it does a great job of explaining just how damaging these "clean eating" influencers are:

This article is a few years old now but it does a great job of explaining just how damaging these "clean eating" influencers are:

This documentary is also quite interesting https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07r1hnj/clean-eatings-dirty-secrets

Reactions: 6
“Invested every penny” like it was such a stretch for her to get her business up and running. Probably no shortage of investors when the name Sainsbury pops up!

Reactions: 12
“Invested every penny” like it was such a stretch for her to get her business up and running. Probably no shortage of investors when the name Sainsbury pops up!
Rolled my eyes when I read that knowing what i know now thanks to this thread!

Reactions: 7
“Invested every penny” - yes, Ella, but there was little risk to your investment as at the very least you’d get your products stocked in Sainsbury’s; and you sure do have a lot of pennies. It’s not like you would have been broke if it hadn’t been wildly successful. I have no issue with rich people in business, but please acknowledge your privilege!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
“Invested every penny” - yes, Ella, but there was little risk to your investment as at the very least you’d get your products stocked in Sainsbury’s; and you sure do have a lot of pennies. It’s not like you would have been broke if it hadn’t been wildly successful. I have no issue with rich people in business, but please acknowledge your privilege!
exactly! I hate how influencers do this, just admit your priveledge, I wouldn't hold it against her she still has been very savvy jumping on the whole vegan/wellness trend (even if I think she is an idiot and her nutritional claims are often ridiculous). reminds me so much of
grace Beverley

This exactly! It the ‘invested every penny’ that drives me mad, there is zero risk in investing all your money when your family net worth is 3billion - invested time, love, hard work yes. But acknowledge the difference in investing cash in this way

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.