Daily Anti-Procrastination Accountability Thread

Are you a procrastinator?

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Some People! Suggested starting this thread for those of us that are queens & kings of procrastination!

It could be:

• Housework
• Uni/home work
• Paperwork
• Life admin
• Etc / anything you’ve been putting off!

It could 1 item or several things that need doing. I am hoping that this thread will hold me accountable for getting things done ✅☺

8A1BF06F-8089-4C92-973E-27AAB523ED6A.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I've not answered the poll because in true procrastinator style, I'll come back to it later :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My life is a study in procrastination. I can't even admit certain things I've put off for YEARS.

It all started when my dad died when I was 25. I think I rebelled against adulting and responsibility by relentlessly putting things off. And it's continued basically for 25 years 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ (I'm now 50 and have 2 ardent procrastinator children - they are in their 20s. I told them 2 years ago to choose new furniture for their rooms. They still haven't 'got round to it')

My current main items are house/ garden. In the short term, I have guests coming next weekend. Between now and then I need to
Rake the garden
Jetwash and oil my decking
Buy new cushions and lights for the garden plus food, drinks etc
Jetwash my drive and paint the front steps
Plus clean my whole house
I was also considering redecorating my downstairs loo but realistically that won't happen!

I intended to start the above this weekend.
Needless to say I didn't.
So that list starts tomorrow (as ever!)

I will report back tomorrow with progress (or lack of!)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Oh I’m so glad it’s not just me who procrastinates! 🙈 I think mine stems from overthinking everything and having difficulty making decisions because of anxiety, but also perfectionism - I often don’t do things until I feel certain I’m doing them “properly” even if that’s just cleaning things around the house 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Love the idea of this thread!!
My favourite way to procrastinate is with writing out lists of what I need to do. I set up a Trello board and I think my main list view has maybe 11 separate lists cos separating them by type of to do list was a better use of my time than actually completing any of them.

I recently got diagnosed with ADHD and my medication and new coping mechanisms are definitely making it easier to get some of the longer/easier lists started but I'm also someone who doesn't want to do something unless I'm going to do it properly and thoroughly, so it's definitely still a challenge. It's odd that after so many years of so much procrastination, I always think the next to do list or the next weekend/monday/month I'll be different and find the answer to be consistently productive. I don't think I've had a day in my whole life where I have forgiven myself for not being that sort of person. I feel like I'm so busy procrastinating that I don't actually have any time where I'm 'allowed' to do nothing and relax. Do other procrastinators feel this way?!

Priorities this week for me that I'm going to be accountable on here with:
-finish a website that's it's been under maintenance since May, and almost totally completed in May - something about just finishing it that I'm hitting a wall on
-book flights visit a friend next month
-reply to an email I've been ignoring
-look up how complicated it is to redo bathroom flooring yourself

• Heart
Reactions: 12
All such relatable experiences!

I write endless lists too (absolutely love Google Keep for this!) 🙄

This week I need to:
* RSVP a wedding invite + email them (bleh!)
* Check on the plan for my mam's birthday and communicate with her about it
* Finish sanding the bureau I've stripped, order the wax I need, apply a couple of coats, and put the whole thing back together —I'll need to do a bit every day to get this done in time for the start of start of term.
* Do my morning walk every day - I've totally let this slip lately.
* Keep on top of the basic household upkeep stuff - I've got a massive week at work and I really just need to not let everything go totally to tit at home. Partially to tit, max.

We can totally do these things!! Let's go, procrastinators!! 💪💪💪

@oksobasically I've laid every floor in my whole house, including the bathroom - you can almost certainly do it yourself! Let me know if I can help 😊

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I relate to much of what you've both said. I am a perfectionist and do and redo things until I'm satisfied (actually that's not true, I redo them until I get fed up and then look at them resentfully.

Washing windows is one of those. I do them. See a streak. Redo them. Another streak. Repeat 2-3 times til I give up and still see the streak.

I also can't do one thing at once, generally my brain is whirring with a million tasks. I don't write lists often, not l even for shopping so rely on remembering everything I need to do. I have a good memory but it makes life very stressful!

I'm currently procrastinating about making my bed (changed bedlinen today), washing up and several other tasks. I did at least put the bins out which is something!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
All such relatable experiences!

I write endless lists too (absolutely love Google Keep for this!) 🙄

This week I need to:
* RSVP a wedding invite + email them (bleh!)
* Check on the plan for my mam's birthday and communicate with her about it
* Finish sanding the bureau I've stripped, order the wax I need, apply a couple of coats, and put the whole thing back together —I'll need to do a bit every day to get this done in time for the start of start of term.
* Do my morning walk every day - I've totally let this slip lately.
* Keep on top of the basic household upkeep stuff - I've got a massive week at work and I really just need to not let everything go totally to tit at home. Partially to tit, max.

We can totally do these things!! Let's go, procrastinators!! 💪💪💪

@oksobasically I've laid every floor in my whole house, including the bathroom - you can almost certainly do it yourself! Let me know if I can help 😊
Thank you! Knowing someone that I'm assuming doesn't do this professionally has done it and not been so put off by the process that they did it repeatedly is genuinely really helpful in itself!! I made a mistake at the start of lockdown 1 of watching a YouTube of a guy demonstrating how to regrout and recaulk a bath/shower that took him about 45 minutes and looked really simple, yet I was there 6 sweaty hours later part covered in paste and wishing I'd procrastinated longer. All my DIY to-do's have really lengthy periods between thinking and doing with far less guilt now 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think I procrastinate with my own personal stuff because I’m the total opposite at work. It as if I get home and totally switch personalities. I’ve been needing to scan one document to send to the accountant for a week now, it’s just a few feet away from me right now, but instead I’m here telling you all about it 😂

My to do list for the next week includes

Scan that bloody document
Pay a bill that I should have paid two weeks ago
Reply to numerous WhatsApp messages from friends and family, that I always think about replying to but then leave it till they fall out with me 😆
Order a rabbit run extension
Plant the plants I recently bought rather than leaving them to die in the sun 🌞

Wish me luck 🍀🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thanks for starting this thread. My procrastinating depends on my mental health. If I’m feeling low or lacking in confidence I can’t get motivated and I find it so difficult to actually do anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@oksobasically LOL, I'm definitely not a professional, and I totally relate to the phenomenon of a job taking sfm longer than anticipated and putting you off doing anything ever again!
I really, really like a self-adhesive floor tile and I get a really good finish with them, even if they're a bit cheaper (some large spaces have required a compromise on affordability!!), plus it's perfect for the bathroom.
Depending on what's there already (and what's underneath), it could/should be a really quick and satisfying job... Assuming you don't have a huge bathroom (a smaller space means you can spend a bit more too). Most vinyl tiles can be cut with scissors even (great for round pipes etc) and definitely with a Stanley knife, so no mad tools required. Finish with a bit of sealant round the edges, bosh! 😂

@prozacprincess I'm the same with a hyper-organised work persona and a can't-get-tit-done home persona! I think I use up all my "effectiveness and productivity points" at work so once I try to get things done at home I'm just a useless lump and can't get started 🙄
I'm also exactly the same about messaging friends & family - I think I'm gonna start just replying when I see the message, even if it's not my best work, so I don't get into that situation so much.
I also tend to leave plants in trays and I feel so guilty!
Good luck! You can do it! 🍀💪

@Libbylulu I'm definitely the same where MH is concerned - when I'm not feeling my best, everything just seems impossible and then I get to feel extra crappy about that on top of everything else. I think the key is just starting. Any progress is progress 🖤🖤

• Heart
How's Monday gone for everyone?

I knocked a couple of things off my list today 💪 It's exhausting, doing the bare minimum of normal stuff for just one day! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think I procrastinate with my own personal stuff because I’m the total opposite at work. It as if I get home and totally switch personalities.
This is me! But I'm not working at the moment so the procrastination personality has well and truly taken over.

Tasks that would be beneficial for me (for example, making things or taking photos of things that I could sell to earn money) get pushed back in favour of....not much really. I always think there are too many steps "in front of" the task I need to do - like "I need to tidy this area before I can do this before I can do this" etc etc. I hope I'm making some sort of sense!

This week I hope to accomplish:

- ring up a company about something
- change password online
- list at least 3 things on eBay
- put some paperwork away in file
- repot 2 succulents
- weather permitting, get all the washing done
- clean bathroom (I'll split this over a few days due to back/hip problems)
- do a mani and pedi on myself
- make some pizza bases and put in freezer
- make pizza sauce and put in freezer
- do some work towards something that I hope will eventually lead to a wage

Thanks for starting this thread. My procrastinating depends on my mental health. If I’m feeling low or lacking in confidence I can’t get motivated and I find it so difficult to actually do anything.
Me too.

• Heart
How's Monday gone for everyone?

I knocked a couple of things off my list today 💪 It's exhausting, doing the bare minimum of normal stuff for just one day! 😂
I truly thought I'd done loads today, it's been a busy one. I scrolled up to see the things I wanted to do today and I'd forgotten 2 of them that would have been easy to do, whoops. Some progress though! Mondays are always hard to get going with - is anyone making good progress?

Priorities this week for me that I'm going to be accountable on here with:
-finish a website that's it's been under maintenance since May, and almost totally completed in May - something about just finishing it that I'm hitting a wall on
-book flights visit a friend next month
-reply to an email I've been ignoring
-look up how complicated it is to redo bathroom flooring yourself buy vinyl tile samples; choose 1; order for room

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Well I achieved zero off my list today.

I somehow convinced myself that I needed to tidy up first, but that ended up taking me all day. Rather than just put something away I decide to completely reorganise things 🙄 I do now have a wonderfully alphabetised wine fridge 😆

Still not scanned that sodding document …. Maybe tomorrow 🤓

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I've not answered the poll because in true procrastinator style, I'll come back to it later :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My life is a study in procrastination. I can't even admit certain things I've put off for YEARS.

It all started when my dad died when I was 25. I think I rebelled against adulting and responsibility by relentlessly putting things off. And it's continued basically for 25 years 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ (I'm now 50 and have 2 ardent procrastinator children - they are in their 20s. I told them 2 years ago to choose new furniture for their rooms. They still haven't 'got round to it')

My current main items are house/ garden. In the short term, I have guests coming next weekend. Between now and then I need to
Rake the garden
Jetwash and oil my decking
Buy new cushions and lights for the garden plus food, drinks etc
Jetwash my drive and paint the front steps
Plus clean my whole house
I was also considering redecorating my downstairs loo but realistically that won't happen!

I intended to start the above this weekend.
Needless to say I didn't.
So that list starts tomorrow (as ever!)

I will report back tomorrow with progress (or lack of!)
I've not answered the poll because in true procrastinator style, I'll come back to it later 🤣

Made me lol for real x

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Thanks for this! I'm a dreadful procrastinator, except when the deadline turbobrain kicks in eg 7pm on 31st Jan to get the tax return in by midnight. I think it's a combination of perfectionism (see dsm iv for obsessive compulsive personality hahaha - not the same as ocd) , anticipatory anxiety /overwhelm and now the sheer bloody boredom of repeatedly doing the same tasks for 35 years. I did manage to defrost and reorganise the freezer yesterday, no idea what I actually went into the kitchen to do! A list of what I want to get done... I'll come back tomorrow with that. Probably.

• Heart
Thanks for this! I'm a dreadful procrastinator, except when the deadline turbobrain kicks in eg 7pm on 31st Jan to get the tax return in by midnight. I think it's a combination of perfectionism (see dsm iv for obsessive compulsive personality hahaha - not the same as ocd) , anticipatory anxiety /overwhelm and now the sheer bloody boredom of repeatedly doing the same tasks for 35 years. I did manage to defrost and reorganise the freezer yesterday, no idea what I actually went into the kitchen to do! A list of what I want to get done... I'll come back tomorrow with that. Probably.
I felt a sense of achievement one year when I did my tax return by middday on Jan 31st!

It's like Christmas presents, I never wrap til Christmas eve, and for years didn't start til 10, so was still wrapping at 3am (I don't buy lots of presents but I do fancy wrapping, plus my kids have about 30 small presents in their stockings). 2 years ago my Ex said he was sick of me being up all night, and sent me off to wrap at 6pm after an early dinner. I was finished by 10, it was amazing!

I have done nothing on my list apart from buy cushions. And set up a trap for fruit flies although that wasn't on the list, but was needed.

• Heart
Well I achieved zero off my list today.

I somehow convinced myself that I needed to tidy up first, but that ended up taking me all day. Rather than just put something away I decide to completely reorganise things 🙄 I do now have a wonderfully alphabetised wine fridge 😆

Still not scanned that sodding document …. Maybe tomorrow 🤓
I’m like this when there isn’t a deadline! I try to sometimes think how I will feel after doing the thing I’m putting off. Relief, sense of achievement and all that good stuff! I wonder if you were to fine yourself if you don’t get that document scanned give/donate money to a cause/person you can’t stand! That worked for me many years ago!

I’m going to go through my planner and have a look at things that have been on my to do list for months! Even if I get one thing done I’ll be happy - maybe? 🤔

I believe most procrastinators are perfectionists in that we don’t want to start unless we know that it will done right/correctly/perfectly, therefore we don’t do it!

I struggle with the action side, so someone said do 1 minute which sounded ridiculous at first, but once I’m there doing it the action makes me want to continue to maybe 5-10-20 minutes.

Having a look at some of the lists on here have reminded me of some I’ve forgotten! 😅

Last edited:
Ive been meaning to comment on this thread since it started 🤭

I've been a procrastinator since I was a little girl. My favourite quote is "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow"!

I can only survive by writing a list for everything including housework, meals, things for the kids, work etc. I use an app called evernote where I make checklists.

My goal is to get up and get sorted every morning instead of lying on my bed thinking about how I should be getting ready.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I struggle with the action side, so someone said do 1 minute which sounded ridiculous at first, but once I’m there doing it the action makes me want to continue to maybe 5-10-20 minutes.
This is definitely it for me - just getting started is the hardest part! I do find the UFYH 20/10 or Pomodoro really liberating in terms of both starting and perfectionist tendencies.
Funnily enough "Action" is my word for the year - I have to remind myself regularly to *Just Start* and *Do Something*.

Ive been meaning to comment on this thread since it started 🤭
I do this a lot! 🤣

I can only survive by writing a list for everything including housework, meals, things for the kids, work etc. I use an app called evernote where I make checklists.
Lists are the only way I can get by and manage the bare minimum to keep things ticking over, and it does have to be the bare minimum because too much to do = overwhelm = cba.
I use Google Keep and have pinned lists called 'Morning' and 'Evening' which I tick off every day. I'll look like a right simpleton, but here's my 'Evening' list:
[] Dishwasher empty/load
[] Kitchen reset
[] Packed lunch?
[] Take pills
[] Check diary for tomorrow
[] Get clothes ready for the morning
[] Charge phone/ tablet/ watch/ tablet

... And i don't go to bed till it's all ticked off.

The 'Morning' one is longer and more complicated because that's mornings for you! 🙄

• Heart