Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Those are gorgeous! You've got a great eye for colour.

Knitting is easy to learn - I found it puzzling at first, but then something just clicks and you're off. I don't crochet, but I know people who do both say that knitting takes twice as much time, but uses half the yarn.
Hi fellow crafters just new here but longing this thread! I'm a crocheter mainly but started off by knitting. This post perfectly sums up knitting and crocheting. I picked up knitting very quickly but took years to master crochet. I prefer crochet because it's quicker and easier to follow a pattern. When I knit, I make small toys but when I crochet I make large blankets... I can't do it the other way around!

I've tried a lot of different crafts over the years, about 10 years ago I was really into card making. I still have all the equipment but don't use it much. I'd love a cricut machine though.

My most recent thing has been making miniature rooms-they come in kit form and you put them together, customise them, wire up electric lights etc. I've done 8 so far and I'm running out of space!

Reactions: 8
The charity “Knit for Peace” is always grateful for knitted donations, for people here in UK and abroad. If I fancy making something small eg a cardi I send it to them. It says what they need on their website.
Warm Baby Project on Facebook is good. They do appeals for all over the UK and Africa

Reactions: 6
Hi fellow crafters just new here but longing this thread! I'm a crocheter mainly but started off by knitting. This post perfectly sums up knitting and crocheting. I picked up knitting very quickly but took years to master crochet. I prefer crochet because it's quicker and easier to follow a pattern. When I knit, I make small toys but when I crochet I make large blankets... I can't do it the other way around!

I've tried a lot of different crafts over the years, about 10 years ago I was really into card making. I still have all the equipment but don't use it much. I'd love a cricut machine though.

My most recent thing has been making miniature rooms-they come in kit form and you put them together, customise them, wire up electric lights etc. I've done 8 so far and I'm running out of space!
Those miniature rooms sound awesome, do you have any pics?

Reactions: 1
Oh wow, these look amazing! I'd really like to try this, I used to love building monster models for my brothers when they were younger. Maybe I could combine these and the monsters, in a Godzilla style?!
Why not?! Loads of people customise them, what better way than to have a monster peeking through the window! They are made by a company called Rolife, they can be expensive but you can get lots of cheaper ones that are similar. Quality isn't quite as good on the cheaper ones and the instructions are in Chinese but they're a good place to start!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just overcome a mental block and re-threaded the needles on my overlocker.
Now starting to make a Billie sweatshirt (Tilly and the buttons pattern). First ever sweatshirt.
I’ve made the Billie sweatshirt dress twice now! I love the pattern so much it comes together so quickly!

I’ve made the Indigo dress a couple of times already too but I spent hours earlier cutting out this absolutely beautiful but horrendous to cut challis lawn for a new one! Glad that’s done now. Looking forward to sewing it up 😊

I’ve made the Billie sweatshirt dress twice now! I love the pattern so much it comes together so quickly!

I’ve made the Indigo dress a couple of times already too but I spent hours earlier cutting out this absolutely beautiful but horrendous to cut challis lawn for a new one! Glad that’s done now. Looking forward to sewing it up 😊
How did you find sewing on the neckband? I couldn’t get the first one to fit, despite lots of stretching. Cut another one 1cm longer, that fitted much easier. I want to make the dress version next.

How did you find sewing on the neckband? I couldn’t get the first one to fit, despite lots of stretching. Cut another one 1cm longer, that fitted much easier. I want to make the dress version next.
I didn’t have any problems with the neckband, maybe it was just the fabric you used? I used proper cuffing for my first one then I just made one in a soft sweatshirt fabric. I love them they’re so comfy 😊 I’ve made a few Romy tops and a dress, would recommend that Tilly stretch pattern it comes together a dream.

😀 How have I only just seen this thread?!

I crochet mostly, but in lockdown have also bought sewing machine to make masks and now I am having a go at a wrap dress pattern. So far the bodice is done, I need to do the skirt section next. I'm also learning to knot but am finding it harder to rectify dropped stitches compared to crochet, I find crochet is less scary to undo stitches.

I enjoy making arigurumi.

All of my spare spending money has gone on fabric and wool and sewing tools recently 😅

Reactions: 4
😀 How have I only just seen this thread?!

I crochet mostly, but in lockdown have also bought sewing machine to make masks and now I am having a go at a wrap dress pattern. So far the bodice is done, I need to do the skirt section next. I'm also learning to knot but am finding it harder to rectify dropped stitches compared to crochet, I find crochet is less scary to undo stitches.

I enjoy making arigurumi.

All of my spare spending money has gone on fabric and wool and sewing tools recently 😅
Which wrap dress pattern have you got? I spend waaaaay too much money on fabric and try and justify it by saying I’m not going out for meals or to the pub so I can afford it 😂🤣

Which wrap dress pattern have you got? I spend waaaaay too much money on fabric and try and justify it by saying I’m not going out for meals or to the pub so I can afford it 😂🤣
IMG_20210224_082210.jpg

I bought the paper pattern on ebay so I was able to cut out the actual pieces. I don't have a printer and I'm not yet competent enough to draft my own pattern or replicate them from a tutorial video 😅 I need the actual physical pieces else it all goes wrong for me.

I find sewing whilst listening to an audio book quite therapeutic.

View attachment 452842

I bought the paper pattern on ebay so I was able to cut out the actual pieces. I don't have a printer and I'm not yet competent enough to draft my own pattern or replicate them from a tutorial video 😅 I need the actual physical pieces else it all goes wrong for me.

I find sewing whilst listening to an audio book quite therapeutic.
That’s a lovely pattern! Oh life’s too short to be printing patterns yourself and sticking the pieces together anyway, I either buy the paper pattern or I’ll buy the digital one and send for it to be A0 printed!

Yeah I listen to podcasts usually when I’m sewing 😊 so relaxing.

That's so cool! I love the attention to detail.
I know, that's what I love about them too. The books have text inside them, the jars have "food," I've got a miniature sewing room with mini cotton spools made with real cotton. They think of absolutely everything! Here are 2 more, with some closer up detail.
IMG_20200816_115714.jpg
IMG_20201031_085652.jpg
IMG_20201031_085644.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I am in need of advice and I hoped someone here may be able to help.

Two of my bras have let go of their underwire - it's poking through the inner fabric where the two cups meet at the front. One I could excuse since it was about a year old, but the other is only 3 months old and is still perfectly acceptable so I'm loathe to throw it away.

Any ideas on how to patch the hole on the inside so it won't just pole through straight away again? I am capable of hand sewing and bodging a fix but don't have access to or the ability to use a machine!

Cheers dears xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I am in need of advice and I hoped someone here may be able to help.

Two of my bras have let go of their underwire - it's poking through the inner fabric where the two cups meet at the front. One I could excuse since it was about a year old, but the other is only 3 months old and is still perfectly acceptable so I'm loathe to throw it away.

Any ideas on how to patch the hole on the inside so it won't just pole through straight away again? I am capable of hand sewing and bodging a fix but don't have access to or the ability to use a machine!

Cheers dears xx
I've never made lingerie, but I think you might have to sew another piece of fabric on top of the channel, so it effectively adds an extra layer? If that makes sense!

Just moved and the new house has a couple of old and cracked concrete hearths where fireplaces used to be. @SoulRebel how hard is it to do mosaics? Did you do a course in it? Or shall I get a tiler in? Yours have inspired me but I have zero experience.

• Heart