Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #92

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Prebooking is driving me mad. It’s so hard to just decide you want drinks or a dinner everything is booked weeks before!
Oh tell me about it. Having to make plans weeks in advance! It was harder when everything was outdoors only as not many places opened. I was having to put alerts on Twitter and Instagram for all the bars in Cardiff so that I could book something as soon as they opened their reservations!

Reactions: 4
One of the issues I have with the flu comparison is that, unlike flu, c19 is far more deadly, unpredictable, and still unknown in its biomechanisms, including long term effects on survivors of it and interactions with other conditions. There isn't a predictable mortality baseline. It could kill or disable a man in his 50s in reasonable health, it could leave untouched another man in his 50s who was a chain smoker, had a heart problem, and a bit too fond of beer and take aways, even though the latter would be considered much higher risk. Similarly c19 has and could kill or disable a woman with a previously undiagnosed heart condition in her late 30s, or someone of that age with no pre existing condition at all, while a woman in her 70s may be able to shrug it off. Yet it is something you can catch as easily as the flu, or for a more accurate comparison, a cold, and is transmitted as easily as a cold from person to person. But has far more potential for poor or fatal outcomes than flu, across a much broader sweep of people.

We know a lot more than we did, a knowledge written sadly in blood, but still don't know the precise mechanisms, the interactions it has between biochemistries. It behaves in ways we've not seen before, it's genuinely a novel set of mechanisms that will take a lot of research to understand.

A good proportion or dare I say most, apart from high risk elderly, of the data verified higher risk groups for c19 (men, 65>, the elderly, obese, existing conditions) would shrug off the flu, but you have no such assurance with c19. You don't know if you will be fine, perhaps even symptomless, you don't know if you will end up in hospital or have long covid or degrade extremely quickly without realising something was wrong, as many people did in the early days of the pandemic. You can make some prediction based on your risk group, but there are still so many unknowns about c19 and it doesn't behave in the same way as any other virus we know. Yet you can catch as easily as a flu or a cold because it is a Corona virus, and the potential outcomes are far more unpredictable and far more inclined to fatality over a broader spread of groups than the flu.

C19 isn't going away and we do have to learn to live with it. But I think it's a mistake to think of it like flu, whatever side of the fence you are on.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk 🦠🦠🦠

Reactions: 7
I tried to book a meal for thursday and everywhere I tried is fully booked and says NO WALK INS. It’s mental!
We have one extreme or the other here. Booking only - where not only do you need to give them all your details and a deposit on booking but also the names and numbers of every person you’re booking for (!) which is a nightmare if you’re not sure who is coming yet. Or places are walk in only but inevitably they are always full when you turn up which makes for quite an awkward evening out when you end up wandering around looking for room at the inn!! (This is mainly going by what it was like in August here, but I think it’s the same now).

Reactions: 3
We had a table booked for a bar on sat night. Decided they were going to drop bookings like 3 days before and do walk in only so had a mad dash to find somewhere we could book (as was our birthday outing). We were fortunate to get somewhere and had a really good night in the end but was such a flap of messaging everywhere we could think of trying to get a table!

Reactions: 1
The type of facts and figures you won't see branded about in the mainstream media as the MSM prefer to scare people instead without OTT and unrealistic guess work from the likes of SAGE, Whitty and Vallance.

Reactions: 11
I tend not to eat at the big mainstream chain pubs or restaurants so the ones I’ve gone to we’ve been seated straight away x
So lucky - mine have been my local pubs / restaurants which are independently owned. Amazing they are fully booked but less amazing for me😂

Prebooking is driving me mad. It’s so hard to just decide you want drinks or a dinner everything is booked weeks before!
it really is a nightmare , i hate it , living life by planning every single portion of your night by 2 hour sections , everyone will give up and the country really will be in a bad economy

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I've not ventured into any bars or restaurants yet. I think everyone's excited at the moment so this week will be mad busy. Hoping it settles to a point where hospitality is getting good trade and there's just a steady flow of people. Hate the booking thing as well, Covid has robbed us of spontaneity

Reactions: 3
The pre booking thing is a joke. I live in a small village with a pub that is renowned locally for their food, so they are fully booked. I bumped into the landlady walking and had a chat, she told me ever since they were allowed to reopen at least 12 people fail to turn up per each open session but she has to hold their slot and turn walk in away in case they turn up 10 minutes late or something. I guess that was partly because people didn't fancy dinner outside in the rain, hopefully people actually show up now.

I haven't gone out to eat/drink because I won't engage in all the track/trace stuff and giving details.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I also hate the booking situation it is a nightmare. I’m going out Saturday night with my oh first real date night we’ll have had since beginning of October. None of our bars/restaurants opened up after the October lock down other than the recent out doors which we did but got too cold so that didn’t count 🤣. I’m really looking forward to it it’s been booked since they opened up for bookings when Boris announced the road out of lock down. Places we like to go aren’t chains and even without Covid restrictions it’s always been a case of booking a good few weeks in advance.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.