Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not a jeremy corbyn fan but hes asking all the questions we want the a answers to.

Reactions: 15
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but I’ve heard from someone in the police force that the gov are trying to get a bill passed by tomorrow for total lockdown, military and police on streets...

• Wow
Reactions: 5
People with holidays, flights etc booked and worrying about their rights - Moneybox Live on Radio 4 today at 3pm is having a phone in about exactly this.

If anyone wanted to call with a question the number is: 03700 100 444 (call from about 1ish to broadcast your question).

Hopefully the programme might answer some worries even if you don't call.

Reactions: 1
Hi,

I'm a teacher too. Last week one of my A Level students was off with a throat infection and suspected glandular fever. She came back last Thursday, but was still unwell and had a mouth full of sores/ulcers. I have since seen on some accounts that confirmed cases have suffered with sores in the mouth. My youngest is now poorly. His temperature has been difficult to manage, getting up to 39.8 last night, and he has diarrhoea and some sickness. I am terrified that I have bought it home to him from my workplace!!

This is why I am really hoping schools close this Friday!! I only teach A Level as I work in a college, and fully understand the mass disruption it will cause, especially to working parents and to the summer exam period. Many staff at my workplace are self isolating (pregnant, underlying illnesses, poorly children) which is putting huge pressure on the remaining staff and the students are getting more and more stressed and anxious!

I am now self isolating with my kids, youngest is still really suffering today. I'm worried for my year 13 students, but health is more important!!

Reactions: 9
Not a jeremy corbyn fan but hes asking all the questions we want the a answers to.
I think a citizens income to replace benefits really needs to come in.

The economy and workforce was already in a terrible mess before this. The increase in automation (that's not robot but algorithms) was already expected to take lots of jobs over the coming years.

House prices even before this were so far out of sync with wages, that was never going to last forever.

Reactions: 8
Having heard nothing back from my employer and still having nothing in writing, I have sent an email this morning:

Hi,

I initially reached out to see if it were possible for me to work from home. This came from a place of me trying to strike a balance between protecting myself in line with government advice and also wanting to still work and contribute. I like working for XXXX. I felt that if I were to continue regularly attending the office that if I were to become infected with the virus and have to be off for two weeks or longer (without working) that it would be a bad situation for everyone involved. I wouldn’t be able to continue to still be productive in that scenario.

I received a phone call from XXXX yesterday where I was told that a laptop could not be provided for me because there was no means to provide one. I was also told that all of my work has been given to others in the office and that I am to be paid sick pay.

My understanding of the regulation is that if I am not able to work or have Covid-19 symptoms, that is when sick pay becomes relevant. As I am ultimately willing and able to work, if I were able to buy my own laptop, would this work better for everyone and resolve the issue? Alternatively, if there is no other option, I can attend work at the office.

I am concerned that if they do move to lock us down fully by the weekend that I have things at the office that I need to work from home efficiently. I would like to be able to collect them if possible.

I haven’t come to the office today as I was asked not to by XXXX yesterday.

On a personal level, I have been up most of the night worrying about this and I am worried that the tone of my initial request was misunderstood. I am not the type of person to look to get out of work at the drop of a hat. I can’t lie to you - I am scared about coronavirus. I was extremely malnourished and thin near Christmas when my Crohn’s was diagnosed and now I have learned that the drugs that keep me healthy have the potential to put me at high risk of death in this situation. My anxiety is very high, but as I mentioned previously, I respected that there was the chance that you may say no to home working.

I look forward to hearing back from you when possible and whether you would like me to come into the office today.

Thank you

Kind regards,

————————————

Honestly if they don’t reply or think that’s rude then that’s just that. I don’t think that there is anything else I can do, I feel so anxious and upset.
Oh my goodness, if you have Crohn's then you'll be on heavy duty medications and need to take extra precautions to ensure your safety - your employer should be supporting you, not making you anxious! Can your GP help your case, maybe email your employer supporting your need to work from home? Honestly, I work in the NHS and will be working at home myself because my blood pressure puts me at heightened risk, fully supported by my manager and no questions asked! I cannot fathom why some employers feel they can play god with their employees' health.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh my goodness, if you have Crohn's then you'll be on heavy duty medications and need to take extra precautions to ensure your safety - your employer should be supporting you, not making you anxious! Can your GP help your case, maybe email your employer supporting your need to work from home? Honestly, I work in the NHS and will be working at home myself because my blood pressure puts me at heightened risk, fully supported by my manager and no questions asked! I cannot fathom why some employers feel they can play god with their employees' health.
Thank you, I’m on an immunosuppressant at the moment. It’s actually my long term treatment plan. It’s a scary time.

Even if this situation resolves itself and I have the ability to work from home, I will struggle to forget their lack of empathy for me at this time and probably will find it hard to relax while working there.

Reactions: 7
Hi,

I'm a teacher too. Last week one of my A Level students was off with a throat infection and suspected glandular fever. She came back last Thursday, but was still unwell and had a mouth full of sores/ulcers. I have since seen on some accounts that confirmed cases have suffered with sores in the mouth. My youngest is now poorly. His temperature has been difficult to manage, getting up to 39.8 last night, and he has diarrhoea and some sickness. I am terrified that I have bought it home to him from my workplace!!

This is why I am really hoping schools close this Friday!! I only teach A Level as I work in a college, and fully understand the mass disruption it will cause, especially to working parents and to the summer exam period. Many staff at my workplace are self isolating (pregnant, underlying illnesses, poorly children) which is putting huge pressure on the remaining staff and the students are getting more and more stressed and anxious!

I am now self isolating with my kids, youngest is still really suffering today. I'm worried for my year 13 students, but health is more important!!
Retailers etc are putting health and safety measures in place why not the teaching unions ..I agree your health and that of your family must be paramount..the NHS staff are provided with masks ,gloves and even hazmat suit's in their line of duty (and rightly so) but nothing for front line teaching staff ??

Reactions: 3
I think a citizens income to replace benefits really needs to come in.

The economy and workforce was already in a terrible mess before this. The increase in automation (that's not robot but algorithms) was already expected to take lots of jobs over the coming years.

House prices even before this were so far out of sync with wages, that was never going to last forever.
What was PMs response re sick pay?
Does anyone know if a business closes are employees eligible for any help? If my boss had to close our office but I am not sick or in isolation what help would i be allowed?

Reactions: 2
I work for a civil service department and I’m so lucky to have the support I do. My management have been a dream through all of this. Today we got an email with tips to make working from home easier and we had a 30 minute Skype meeting with the whole team just to have a general chat about it all to make sure everyone had some kind of human contact today. We’ve also been given the phone numbers of the mental health first aiders I n work and through it all the emphasis has been on our wellbeing.
It’s such a stressful time but I am so lucky to woek where I do. Please make sure that all of you reach out if it is needed!

Friends husband has just been laid off. No warning just a text saying he no longer has a job. Two little babies as well. Landlord adamant regardless they want their rent or they have to find somewhere else to live. Poor thing is in a mess! All down to this bloody virus!

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 27
What was PMs response re sick pay?
Does anyone know if a business closes are employees eligible for any help? If my boss had to close our office but I am not sick or in isolation what help would i be allowed?
Look on you know who's page our local ex politician there's lots of info he's getting bombarded with questions...

Friends husband has just been laid off. No warning just a text saying he no longer has a job. Two little babies as well. Landlord adamant regardless they want their rent or they have to find somewhere else to live. Poor thing is in a mess! All down to this bloody virus!
Sadly they won't be the only ones in this situation I fear.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I must admit, I stand corrected about this entire thing.

I wanted to believe it was all a big conspiracy because that was easier to accept than the stark truth. I could tell myself that it wasn't real. Which helped with my severe health anxiety. Accepting that it is real was going to be a massive trigger. Which it has been. 😔

Sorry if I offended anyone by suggesting it was a conspiracy.
We all cope in different ways, I for one think you have nothing to apologise for. I hope you're okay mentally, us tattle family are all here for you 💙

• Heart
oh this is awful :( what job was he in?

My council has shut all leisure centres. I personally wouldn't x
Interesting. I got an email from our local leisure saying they are staying open and that swimming is safe as the chlorine kills the virus.

From the sound of prime minister’s questions this afternoon, the government are introducing something to protect private renters from being evicted. The terms weren’t made clear but tell them to watch the press conference later just in case. I’m so sorry this has happened to them. 🙁

Sky News are reporting help for people who rent are to be unveiled shortly

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.