Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m getting confused about all this. Do you have symptoms? Because I don’t and I’m not sure if I still need to stay away from my dad (under 60 but diabetic), my aunt and granny (both over 70)?
My dad is 77, has severe COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. I work with young children and also have a 9yr old daughter. He is in a very at-risk category so we are choosing to stay away to minimise risk to him. He doesn't leave the house, though mum goes out at the minute to get shopping. We have told her, should lock down begin, she is to text us what she needs and my husband will literally drop it on their doorstep.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I really liked the chancellor’s speech tonight but I still feel like BoJo needs a rocket up his arse. In layman’s terms he needs to say - we’re all in this together. We need to take this seriously and social distance to slow this thing down. Emergency childcare in schools and communities for the front line workers only - everyone else keep your kids off and at home. Not only to protect our NHS and in turn our loved ones that might need it, but also to help us get back to normal as quickly as we can. That’s all of us. Even you Joe Bloggs who’s gagging for a pint or you Sue who‘s survived the war and doesn’t want to give up her coffee in the garden centre of a Wednesday morning. ALL OF US. Together. As a United Kingdom.
It should be a speech that’s printed on the front page of every newspaper tomorrow, every online headline. He HAS speech writers, they can work remotely, where are they?? I really do think this country’s in desperate need of pulling together and a morale boost. He could do it for his Brexit campaign, he needs to find it from somewhere now.

It’s clear that they don’t want to lock us down completely in the hope of some sort of herd immunity and to prevent already stretched police resources being wasted on trying to enforce it. But if we could convince even half of the people who think it’s a load of nonsense to actually do it, we’d have a much better chance of beating this thing.
SavvyBee for PM!!!!

Reactions: 3
SavvyBee for PM!!!!
Flattered but my first destination of choice is a beach somewhere sunny not Downing St!! I’m worried and upset by people who were blasé last week now suddenly seeming panicked. My husband was calling me ridiculous for being so obsessed and now he’s panicking about going bankrupt. Trying to be strong and positive when all I want to do is cry.

Reactions: 8
Just seen someone on Instagram saying we will run out of food here because most of our stuff comes from overseas. I'm not that educated on things like that though. Is there any truth in it?

Reactions: 1
Just seen someone on Instagram saying we will run out of food here because most of our stuff comes from overseas. I'm not that educated on things like that though. Is there any truth in it?
The government and heads of supermarkets have said absolutely not. Shops are empty because everyone is buying more and all of a sudden so they can’t restock quickly enough, there are warehouses full of food and fresh is still being grown.

Reactions: 12
I’m getting confused about all this. Do you have symptoms? Because I don’t and I’m not sure if I still need to stay away from my dad (under 70 but diabetic), my aunt and granny (both over 70)?
Maattte. So much sympathy. Nurses and doctors and other nhs employees are quite rightly getting their due appreciation right now, but seriously you and your colleagues deserve it too. You’re heroes ! For real, not being glib. If we didn’t have people to work in the supermarkets we’d be fucked. I hope it gets better soon...
Surely it can’t go on like this for much longer?

Reactions: 9
The only thing I’ve seen tit tonnes of left is Easter eggs. I think that’s the way forward a chocolate diet for the foreseeable future

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m on an island 94 times small than the U.K. and we seem to be ok so I think you will be too x

Reactions: 6
All the supermarkets are saying there is no threat to the food supply ,only the people are panic buying and they can't stock up fast enough..Italy and China have been on lockdown and I haven't heard anyone mention they were low on food ...

Maattte. So much sympathy. Nurses and doctors and other nhs employees are quite rightly getting their due appreciation right now, but seriously you and your colleagues deserve it too. You’re heroes ! For real, not being glib. If we didn’t have people to work in the supermarkets we’d be fucked. I hope it gets better soon...
Surely it can’t go on like this for much longer?
Yes, supermarket workers, anyone involved in the food chain, post office people and amazon delivery drivers are all heroes too!!! And the dustbin people Without all of these people the country will grind to a halt and we need them all.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Yeah my friend works in Tesco and they just got potatoes after 4 days without. The shops empty people are telling them to check through the back for things but the back is also empty that's why I'm a bit worried about that too

The only thing I’ve seen tit tonnes of left is Easter eggs. I think that’s the way forward a chocolate diet for the foreseeable future
My Tesco which last year was stocked to the rafters with them, and couldn't shift them, hardly has any this year. None on the seasonal section at all. I saw an old woman bulk buying Mars Bar eggs the other day when I was in there, so there are some near the entrance doors, but I've never noticed them as I'm too transfixed with getting to the fruit, veg, and fresh meat.

Reactions: 3
My Tesco which last year was stocked to the rafters with them, and couldn't shift them, hardly has any this year. None on the seasonal section at all. I saw an old woman bulk buying Mars Bar eggs the other day when I was in there, so there are some near the entrance doors, but I've never noticed them as I'm too transfixed with getting to the fruit, veg, and fresh meat.
oh wow really! where I am there are so many piled up in all the big supermarkets

At least if you come across anyone with the virus, you'll be able to say "I'll see your Covid19 and raise you my puss filled zits. 😁

Flattered but my first destination of choice is a beach somewhere sunny not Downing St!! I’m worried and upset by people who were blasé last week now suddenly seeming panicked. My husband was calling me ridiculous for being so obsessed and now he’s panicking about going bankrupt. Trying to be strong and positive when all I want to do is cry.
And somewhere away from all the worrying. Yes, people should've been taking it seriously from the start. Oh no, I hope everything will be ok for you and your husband, the worry about bankruptcy due to the virus isn't good. It's good to cry, take yourself off somewhere quiet and have a cry, it makes you feel worse if you just hold it in.

oh wow really! where I am there are so many piled up in all the big supermarkets
My Tesco, while laughably being a "Tesco superstore", is actually a provincial small town store. It's doesn't even do Tesco home shopping. That all comes from a Tesco 25 miles away. It's gone right down hill in recent months, especially since Tesco took over Bookers. Butchery and fish counters have closed with nothing but yet more bottles of wine put in the space where the counters were. Deli counter is now self service. Instore bakery is tiny. Generally, the number of lines across product ranges has fallen through the floor.

I feel for you - and anyone with older relatives who are appearing so blasé about it all. I think until they feel the anxiety and reality of it all, theres' no amount of nagging in the world that will persuade them to stay put. However, you could always make them feel guilty by saying that they are putting the family at risk, or plain old "If you insist on going out, I have to keep my distance". Obviously its hard for them, and also us, but you need to keep yourself strong for the rest of your family, and if you are stressing about what is essentially someone having a strop because "No bloody government is going to tell me if I can go out or not" then you need to have that conversation with them :unsure:
irs tricky isnt it. im looking at it as if the over 70's etc (me being an etc) then we are staying well and wont impact on the nhs and as if i stay well i wont need their help and it can go to someone else who does need it

Well, this is what she says in her caption with regard to sources. She’s a credible journalist who works for reputable publications. This being “Fake news” in the sense of entirely making up the info and this caption ? I don’t think so. Is there a range of information and studies on this subject ? Of course. As she acknowledges.
View attachment 96935
But that's my point. I went and read the study and it's all done under optimal conditions. That's why in my opinion it's fake news. This will just spread more fear.
The best bit about the whole thing is encouraging people to CLEAN. I never realised how many dirty bastards there were until this virus came and knocked on the door

I am very sceptical of stories like this. This story was run 5 hours ago and has not been picked up by either the Sky News or BBC News websites which tends to be the barometer of truth for me.

There have been a few of these apocalyptic stories in the media over the last few days always on 'newspaper' websites as opposed to 'news' websites.

There was one yesterday suggesting up to 250,000 could die in the UK? 250,000, that is more than the current recorded infected figure for the entire planet. 30 times more than the number who have died to date. Given that infections have fallen in China and are levelling off in some other countries these numbers seem unrealistic.

I am trying to avoid reading newspaper sites at the moment because I believe a lot of there reporting is pretty irresponsible and at a time when they should be calming and reassuring the general public they are still indulging in sensationalist click bait stories.
i think its been said today that the scientific modelling was wrong and if we kept on that route there would be 250k deaths

Food security is an issue in the UK when there's a global shock to supply chains, however I think we'll be ok for the time being.
---
For those asking - You can be infected with COVID-19 and show no symptoms.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.