Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

monga

VIP Member
A joint trial it seems.

The study, led by South Africa’s University of the Witwatersrand and Oxford university, enrolled 2,026 HIV negative individuals, with a median age of 31. Half the group was given at least one dose of placebo, with the other half receiving at least one dose of vaccine.
So the healthy 31 year olds were suffering from severe disease ?

I redeployed 8 months ago as a covid 19 tester, swabbing people, I have spent the last month back in my optical role and for the first time in this pandemic I feel unsafe.
Why is that if you don't mind the question ?

Last edited:

Lilykins

VIP Member
I am totally happy for it to be a process somewhat like you’ve written above. What I’m scared of is that social distancing is going to stay and that is going to have a massive impact - basically very restricted social interactions, can’t work in the office, no events or nights out, probably won’t even be allowed to have a small gathering inside a friends house etc. I know it’s so trivial but the thought of another year with all work no play is just soul destroying!
That’s it - all work and no play is just crushing isn’t it. Not seeing anyone has been the hardest thing!

I agree with you entirely about the media whipping everyone into a frenzy and it being irresponsible. But really what is the answer to that? I don’t have one but I do know that I don’t want it censored. That’s a very slippery slope to start going down. 😔

Husband and I are seeing this both in our schools and at home. My son is back to being withdrawn and monosyllabic, I can’t get the doctor to refer him or any help from school as he isn’t “bad enough”. 😔 Compared to the kid at husband’s school who contacted him saying Daddy was drunk and hitting Mum again he isn’t bad enough but oh my god it’s breaking my heart.
Oh god yeah I don’t want censorship either! I don’t know what the answer is, but all I know is the press have made me so cross with their role in all this!!

Titntat

VIP Member
I would send her in a few layers . Id still send her in a coat but it can’t be easy to sit in your classroom all day in a coat. Maybe some fingerless gloves and a scarf so she doesn’t feel a draught.
It sounds so crazy asking. Their school is normally like a oven. She comes out with her cardy stuffed in her bag. I want her to warm but comfortable. Yes I agrees with the coat also when she goes outside she won't feel the benefit 🤣 Fingerless gloves are a good one ill get some ready for the morning, thank you.

Greencatfysh

VIP Member
I’m wondering if anyone can help - a close friend of mine has been shielding because she is on immunosuppressive drugs and received a shielding letter last year. She is obviously wary of stopping shielding and was under the impression she’d be vaccinated in Group 4 (clinically vulnerable). However when trying to register for a vaccination it isn’t allowing her so we are thinking maybe she’s not in that group. So which group is she in?! Is anyone else in the same position and know when roughly they could expect the vaccine?

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
So I’ve just had a notification from the test and trace app saying I’ve been in close contact with someone - I work at Aldi so assume it’s someone there although not sure I’m ever close enough to a customer that long but my app says 12 days to isolate?? Everything I’m reading says 10 days isolation and my letter I’ve downloaded does I’m confused and also not sure how I’m going to cope 😞😞
Ah man this sucks

Jc456

VIP Member
Thank you. Nerves are kicking in about her going back i think. Hopefully will only be a few weeks before the weather improves xx
Does she wear tights? M&s do thermal school tights and body sensor ones too. Hope she enjoys being back. X

JLXRD

VIP Member
People who try to conceal coming from a red list country could face ten years in prison. That seems extreme in relation to what we've seen so far.
What as in by going via another country?

Agree that seems really strong.

openbook1

VIP Member
Its one of the only things we seem to have in place that is looking effective. We've still got the quarantine rules to come in yet with the hotel stay, lots more chance for us to mess up!
In all seriousness, I know very little about the vaccination programme in Canada, I would be interested to hear. Is the vaccination programme happening but just slowly ..?
Yes, very slowly. So far only around 2% (just over 1 million doses) of the population is vaccinated since December. The schedules are decided province by province, not federally.

reCAPTCHA

VIP Member
Do you need to be Prime? Do we still get charged customs? 😕

I will never fucking forgive the U.K. for adding customs charges to Irish customers. Never.
Not ever.

Seems reasonable to me. There's water between the two countries so customs is a logical decision, with precedent. Maybe not likeable decision, but a reasonable one imo.

I'm sure the powers that be might reconsider when they are aware of your outrage 🤞😉

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
Big drop in deaths from last week.
View attachment 427218
And on a Tuesday peak day when the numbers are always higher anyway due to admin processing weekend deaths.

As they have with the first 9 categories they should continue to go down the age groups. I can make an exception for the police as they have to get physical with others in their danger line of work. But apart from them when you do the under 50s it should go down through the decades no other exceptions, as nearer to 50 you are the most danger you're in. It wouldn't be fair for someone 40-49 for example missing out on a jab next so someone in their 20s or 30s can get one just because they work in a school or shop.

Gossip2211

I’m surprised you use the app when you’re at work? I work in healthcare and we were told quite firmly not to have the track and trace active when we’re with patients as the whole team would be constantly isolating! Not sure how it works with retail though as I guess you are just wearing cloth masks not proper PPE.
We aren’t supposed to have it on but didn’t realise the Bluetooth switch on was on the app not just your normal Bluetooth

monga

VIP Member
That’s no different than the flu, their always having to adjust that. I think it depends whether it carries on mutating to a ‘worse strain’ and the less cases the are the less it should mutate
They've said it can go either way that's why they have to keep monitoring it.They're giving businesses with more than 50 employees tests ,for people that can't work from home they must be pushing for as many people as possible to take them to try and keep track of outbreaks .

The African health minister has said the opposite to Gilbert View attachment 424630
Who led the study it says, perhaps they did their own trial in Africa and used older population in the study which found that it was not effective.

Sarah.... is that you 😂😂

“my milkshake vaccine brings all the boys EU to the yard”
Unfortunately I am not named Sarah but like your twist on the song 😂