Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #64

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean out of all the things this government have done, covering the cost of delivered food for staff doing over time during a pandemic is at the bottom of the shady list imo.
Everywhere I have worked has let you expense dinner to the office when you are working past 8pm or round about that.
For it cost 44,000, how many takeaways have you been ordering.

Reactions: 7
We have a new hotspot because people went to a wake for a firefighter that passed away (not sure if from covid or something else) and now all of his fellow firefighters are infected and somehow they even managed to infect someone in retirement home so now there's a huge problem there too.

Why, WHYYYYYYY are people so stupid??? If someone dies now 20 others must too?!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
For it cost 44,000, how many takeaways have you been ordering.
We aren't taking a handful of people though. The DoH employ 2,160 staff. It only takes a small percentage of those to be in working on the pandemic response to hit those numbers. At 10% and spending £15 a person you are already come close to 4k in one order.

Reactions: 4
We have a new hotspot because people went to a wake for a firefighter that passed away (not sure if from covid or something else) and now all of his fellow firefighters are infected and somehow they even managed to infect someone in retirement home so now there's a huge problem there too.

And this is why I do not support the Christmas break!

Reactions: 10
We aren't taking a handful of people though. The DoH employ 2,160 staff. It only takes a small percentage of those to be in working on the pandemic response to hit those numbers. At 10% and spending £15 a person you are already come close to 4k in one order.
I suggest pay it out of their own wages.

The number seems high, but agreed - it's a huge staff. I'm angry at this government for everything, but this isn't a big deal.

ETA: the take aways.

Matt Hancock spent £44,000 on takeaways for his staff. His government has rejected to give a pay rise for every in the public sector, apart from nurses and doctors. No outrage from anyone.
Not sure this is so bad.

Staff within our company who cannot work from home have been getting their meals provided since March so they don’t have to leave the office and put themselves at further risk - it’s also good for morale. We are talking thousands of employees. They also haven’t made the commuting/transport savings others have.

True, it’s a private company but I really don’t mind the public sector workers being allowed the same - they are having to go to work and put themselves at risk too, I bet most of them aren’t on lots of money. Don’t begrudge them it at all.

Reactions: 13
The number seems high, but agreed - it's a huge staff. I'm angry at this government for everything, but this isn't a big deal.

ETA: the take aways.
Everytime the government wastes money is a big deal. Especially when they're going to give a pay freeze. That just proved the majority of the clapping on the doorstep wasn't about the public sector, it was about themselves, competition between other streets.

Not sure this is so bad.

Staff within our company who cannot work from home have been getting their meals provided since March so they don’t have to leave the office and put themselves at risk - it’s also good for morale. We are talking thousands of employees. They also haven’t made the commuting/transport savings others have.

True, it’s a private company but I really don’t mind the public sector workers being allowed the same - they are having to go to work and put themselves at risk too, I bet most of them aren’t on lots of money. Don’t begrudge them it at all.
They're getting takeaways, not just ordinary meals. But, it's ridiculous, if you want a takeaway, pay it our for your meals, like everyone else has to do.

Reactions: 5

Is this Canada? As see Alberta has declared a state of emergency including closing high schools.

I'm wondering what usa rates be life after thanksgiving.
Might give UK indication of what after effects Xmas be like.
Did Canada see spike after their thanksgiving?

Saw this on twitter. Dramatic but gets point across.

Doesn't seem like much change our family spending review.
We always get council tax rise in April.
It might oosh teachers to strike as no reward for them and unsafe working environment least NHS get to wear ppe.

£244 a day on takeaways over a six month period. 🤔
London prices i guess but maybe gourmet options

Is this Canada? As see Alberta has declared a state of emergency including closing high schools.

I'm wondering what usa rates be life after thanksgiving.
Might give UK indication of what after effects Xmas be like.
Did Canada see spike after their thanksgiving?

Saw this on twitter. Dramatic but gets point across.

Doesn't seem like much change our family spending review.
We always get council tax rise in April.
It might oosh teachers to strike as no reward for them and unsafe working environment least NHS get to wear ppe.

London prices i guess but maybe gourmet options
There's takeaways in London that do pizzas for a £1.

Reactions: 1
£44,000 split by 2160 is a little over £20 per head. They probably spent more on their Christmas party last year.....

Reactions: 7
I love everyone defending spending £44,000 on takeaways, yet people in the NHS have to being their own meals and get them discounted in the canteens. Not to mention Parliment's one million bar and foo bill..

Reactions: 8
Just saw Maradona's dead don't think it was the rona heart attack they're reporting.

At least £250 pay rise for me thanks to Rishi... or in other words just under 68.5p per day🙄 lower level civil servants really do get shafted by the government. Still waiting for our annual 2% to come through.
Still having a relatively safe job is better than the repeated kicks to the teeth that Rishi has given to the 3 million self employed and small business owners of the UK that for one convoluted reason or another don't qualify for any of his much publicised but carefully small-printed schemes.

I've seen my IT support business that was perfectly successful since 1997, and contributed a fuckton of tax in that time, go to nothing this year, and haven't been able to get a penny of support out of the government the whole time. And I'm very much not alone. If you really want to see what a shafting by Rishi looks like try stepping aside from the civil service and see how many payrises you get then!

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I love everyone defending spending £44,000 on takeaways, yet people in the NHS have to being their own meals and get them discounted in the canteens. Not to mention Parliment's one million bar and foo bill..
No one is defending anything, it is providing context. This isn't a race to the bottom. The majority of the 2,000 staff working for the department for health are civil servants on relatively low salary bands, they aren't all fat cats earning 150k+ a year, they work hard, they also pack their own lunch and expensed dinners are when you work significantly outside your hours. No one goes to their office 9-5 and packs a dinner.

This isn't taking away from the hard work NHS staff do, or how much they should earn, it is a normal "perk" to many jobs and completely blown out of proportion to provide a "gotcha story".

The amount wasted on dodgy procurement for PPE contracts, that is an outrage.
Steve and his 200 colleagues getting a £15 takeaway curry for working 18 hours during a pandemic response when their canteen is shut is a distraction.

Also £1 takeaway pizzas in central London...yeah good luck with that.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.