Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #63

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@JoeBloggs is completely right!
Those of you still seeing your parents socially, unless you’re in a childcare bubble or support bubble it is not allowed at the moment. It’s hard for all of us but it’s especially harder for those of us who are abiding by the rules because the people who are selfishly carrying on regardless are making this drag on even longer (and let’s face it, it doesn’t affect them if they’re doing their own thing whereas it prolongs the difficulties for those of us separated from our loved ones because we’re doing the right thing!). I’ve been separated from my partner for the last 2 weeks so I could bubble up with my dad and give him support. My son is now isolating from school due to a case in his school bubble so now my dad’s on his own again and I’m on my own with my son.we’re doing the right thing so I can hold my head up high!

Because it’s an extra, and in this case unnecessary, risk.....it’s how it’s spread. You know that really so don’t be pedantic.
Even if you're in a childcare bubble you shouldn't be seeing them socially.

Reactions: 6
I like to try and see both sides of the argument. I’d like to think most of you know I’m a compliant pleb, was playing devils advocate and hypothesising to see other sides of the story. It’s not so black and white.
This virus isn’t going to go away. There’s so much victim blaming it’s ridiculous. If Jayne is suffering poor mental health and wants to see her mum, then I think this is perfectly acceptable.
I agree to an extent.I have a friend whose husband works away, sometimes up to 2 weeks at a time. When he is away, she is completely alone with their 3 kids (all under 7).

I’ve said to her that perhaps when he is away for a number of days as he is at the moment, maybe she could be classed as a single household as she is struggling a lot being alone. She could then form a bubble to see her parents and get some help with her kids (she works from home).

She won’t though as she is worried about rule breaking and her neighbours seeing and judging etc. I feel like this is such a tiny rule break though, as technically she is only not a single house hold about 3 days in 2 weeks.

I do think though, if someone is doing it for their mental health they probs don’t need to then post it on Facebook 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've only got my mum and we live together so I dont have any Christmas dilemmas but I feel heart sorry for people for people with multi-generational families.

I've got 2 colleagues who've both become grans this year. Both also have elderly parents, and one has a disabled brother.

When Glasgow brought in the 6 people, 2 households (1 september) one of them was saying she'd spend Christmas with her parents and brother and her daughters and grandchildren would spend it together away from them. This family always spend Christmas together.

I felt this would be really cruel. Especially for her disabled brother who adores his nieces and their children. Personally i think she should have her normal Christmas dinner fior the 4 generations. It's one day and this family hasn't been together since her dad's birthday in March.

And for the people going on about, we'll have other Christmases, how do you know that? Tommorrow is promised to none of us.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone else feel pressure from their families for actually following the rules?

My husband and I live about an hour away from both our families and get made to feel like the devil for abiding by the rules. It was my birthday the other week and my mum was fussing over us getting to see each other - "you could come down and I'll cook dinner" and getting frustrated when I reminded her again that I am not allowed in her house.

• Heart
If people are that desperate to see their relatives at Xmas, they should be responsible for doing a total lockdown on themselves for two weeks prior.

Reactions: 16
I don’t really see why NHS front line vs back office is different?

The frontline of any organisation cannot function without the back office work of support, corporate or enabling teams. It’s great for us to worship nurses and doctors but without NhS procurement, finance, payroll, patient services, logistics, laboratory staff etc. the entire effort against covid would have collapsed. These people are all back office workers, surely they are important. It would be the same as if no. doctors/nurses/porters/auxiliaries etc were on shift. It would all fall apart. Both areas compliment each other and are essential. So if both are working through Covid... why wouldn’t they both get the discounts offered?

IMO the NHS discounts from retailers was crass bandwagon jumping anyway.

I 100% support NhS and all they do but I am fed up of the hero worship of certain roles in NHS and that’s it. I do think lots of public sector face being shafted after a very difficult year.

It’s not an easy task to balance books but raiding the public sector, sadly, is a Tory policy default position.

I disagree. How many NHS back office employees work such long hours, or up front dealing face to face with Covid patients? Most back office staff will arrive in work on time and can't wait to go home when their hours have finished. I don't know of any who would work double shifts, or try to sleep in a bed in a room at the end of a ward because they were on call; or who would need to shower and change clothes because a patient had spewed over them, or similar.

Yes, back office staff are essential, but their part in the scheme of current events is just that, back office support who stay clear of patients at the moment, as much as possible.

I believe our front line staff, including paramedics, are doing a sterling job and deserve every penny they earn, plus some.

• Heart
I felt this would be really cruel. Especially for her disabled brother who adores his nieces and their children. Personally i think she should have her normal Christmas dinner fior the 4 generations. It's one day and this family hasn't been together since her dad's birthday in March.

And for the people going on about, we'll have other Christmases, how do you know that? Tommorrow is promised to none of us.
The only thing I would say to people considering things like this - i.e. not paying mind to restrictions for Christmas Day or Boxing Day as its only one day - I'd try to do something of a quarantine for about 2 weeks before to minimise my own risk of spreading it others at Christmas dinner I.e. only leaving the house the bare minimum amount, not seeing anyone else for any reasons.

Reactions: 4
Does anyone else feel pressure from their families for actually following the rules?

My husband and I live about an hour away from both our families and get made to feel like the devil for abiding by the rules. It was my birthday the other week and my mum was fussing over us getting to see each other - "you could come down and I'll cook dinner" and getting frustrated when I reminded her again that I am not allowed in her house.
My father in law. Its so hard because he's in his own, and he doesn't understand why my mother in law can see the children and he can't (they are separated). It's for childcare but he does feel his nose is put out of joint. He sees his sister so has company but we do worry about him. But he was a nightmare during the first lockdown as he thinks is a fuss over nothing.

• Sad

The frontline of any organisation cannot function without the back office work of support, corporate or enabling teams. It’s great for us to worship nurses and doctors but without NhS procurement, finance, payroll, patient services, logistics, laboratory staff etc. the entire effort against covid would have collapsed. These people are all back office workers, surely they are important. It would be the same as if no. doctors/nurses/porters/auxiliaries etc were on shift. It would all fall apart. Both areas compliment each other and are essential. So if both are working through Covid... why wouldn’t they both get the discounts offered?
i feel like this about local authorities. I work in one and during the pandemic the public have been very quick to praise the frontline services, like bin men, but in the same breath put down the office workers who have cushy lives working from home. I will tell you now that for most local authority workers their roles will have changed drastically due to Covid. It’s not just our bin men, and our frontline facing teams who are caring for people, teachers or those going out delivering food and medicine to the vulnerable, it’s all the people working long hours from home who make it happen. It’s the business development teams working through all the applications from businesses for the various grant schemes the government have developed. Its environmental health and trading standards working with businesses to make sure everyone is safe to open. It’s the housing teams who have been continuing to coordinate essential repairs, and make sure there is support for people who find themselves in a homeless situation during this time. It’s the team who have been working with community groups to ensure vulnerable people in their communities have access to the support they need. And it’s the pr and social media team making sure the public are informed about everything and dealing with social media enquiries and complaints to take some pressure off the main customer service phone lines. The “cushy” office workers are also essential.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
It’s not 4 weeks though is it? It’s been basically the whole year.
It hasnt been the whole year - from the beginning of July until when this lockdown was imposed you could see people inside, albeit some restrictions and changes in different tiers, but it hasn’t been all year.

Reactions: 7
The demands, hours and responsibilities are totally different. Saying something is different doesn't isn't saying it's not essential.

I say as someone that has worked in the NHS backoffice. My job is pretty much the same for the same money regardless of if it's the NHS, a charity or a petroleum company. Although the pay and hours are a bit higher in finance. But my job is piss easy compared to friends I know that have direct contact with patients.

Reactions: 1
I agree to an extent.I have a friend whose husband works away, sometimes up to 2 weeks at a time. When he is away, she is completely alone with their 3 kids (all under 7).

I’ve said to her that perhaps when he is away for a number of days as he is at the moment, maybe she could be classed as a single household as she is struggling a lot being alone. She could then form a bubble to see her parents and get some help with her kids (she works from home).

She won’t though as she is worried about rule breaking and her neighbours seeing and judging etc. I feel like this is such a tiny rule break though, as technically she is only not a single house hold about 3 days in 2 weeks.

I do think though, if someone is doing it for their mental health they probs don’t need to then post it on Facebook 😬
I would agree she’s a single household whilst he’s away! She needs the support then as a single household would do regardless of if he comes back.

Reactions: 4
i feel like this about local authorities. I work in one and during the pandemic the public have been very quick to praise the frontline services, like bin men, but in the same breath put down the office workers who have cushy lives working from home. I will tell you now that for most local authority workers their roles will have changed drastically due to Covid. It’s not just our bin men, and our frontline facing teams who are caring for people, teachers or those going out delivering food and medicine to the vulnerable, it’s all the people working long hours from home who make it happen. It’s the business development teams working through all the applications from businesses for the various grant schemes the government have developed. Its environmental health and trading standards working with businesses to make sure everyone is safe to open. It’s the housing teams who have been continuing to coordinate essential repairs, and make sure there is support for people who find themselves in a homeless situation during this time. It’s the team who have been working with community groups to ensure vulnerable people in their communities have access to the support they need. And it’s the pr and social media team making sure the public are informed about everything and dealing with social media enquiries and complaints to take some pressure off the main customer service phone lines. The “cushy” office workers are also essential.
Similar for my mum who works for ONS, she was temporarily moved to DWP to process all the new claims for universal credit.

I think the thing which is grinding me the most is I’ve followed the rules to a T both lockdowns, haven’t been outside unless necessary or to go to work, not met anyone etc etc. I had to drop some supplies to my grandparents yesterday and upon arrival my uncle and aunt and three cousins were inside their house. I stood outside handing the supplies and had a quick chat with them where my aunt proceeded to say someone she came in contact with has tested positive but didn’t mention the time frame. Last time and continuously young people have got a bad rep for breaking the rules but I am a young person and see the impact of my decisions so haven’t seen my boyfriend despite it impacting my mental health because it’s not just about me and him but to see such blatant disregard around angers me so much.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

It'll be incoming from my MIL. My partner is dreading having the conversation with her. She also lives three hours away, and I'll be the one having to drive because my partner doesn't.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Totally agree local authorities are always shafted mine has already started a voluntary redundancy process (again) were literally cut to the bone due to years of austerity, honestly it’s frightening.

My local authority has a £20 million funding gap this year due to Covid and Gov refuse to cough up.

Yet again it will be front line services that suffer.

My MIL is the one kicking up a fuss to us already! Our original plan was to spend this Christmas with my mum and MIL knew that. But then I found out that a few days after Christmas, I'm having surgery and need to isolate for 2 weeks over Christmas. It's just going to be me and my partner now!

MIL is a theatre nurse and should know better, but I know she has been mixing with her friends etc (she isn't a single person household) as she has straight up told me on the phone who she's seeing. She thinks that because she has the antibodies as she had it earlier this year, that it's OK 🤦‍♀️ I'm in the vulnerable category and she keeps trying to get me to spend time with her.

Anyway, she's given up with Christmas and has moved onto "why don't we have new years day as our Christmas", two days after surgery she's expecting me to be as fit as a fiddle to go to hers for the day 🙃 partner told her no way will I be up for that, but she just thinks that because she works in a hospital that she knows I'll be OK. Maybe a week or so post surgery I may be up to it, but not two frigging days! I've had many surgeries, but this is the first surgery I'll have since I've had my chronic health issues so I really don't know how I'll be afterwards. The cheek of her making demands from me right after surgery and I haven't even had it yet 😂

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Oh absolutely, agree 100%. I also work for a public sector agency that provides drinking water. Obviously an essential service. We have this exact same divide between front line worker/inspector vs perception the rest of us are sitting at home with our feet up. Absolutely not the case!
I have family members who work for a local Authorties and their roles have changed to include hub working and providing drop offs of supplies for vulnerable members. Then other days they are in their “back office” job.

I just wish we would recognise all jobs have value and worth (well... maybe not influencers 😂😊) only kidding!

Just seen an article where Hancock has supposedly said they'll be a ban on hugging and arguing over the xmas period should we be able to mix!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.