Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I was getting frustrated at people (in real life) saying they were avoiding the news, they needed time away from the reports, but it feels like it’s reports...updates...numbers..stats.
reports...lives...numbers...stats 😰
My head is on spin cycle.

I’ve made the choice to do that today, I’m not looking at twitter, I’m not scrolling through people I don’t know panicking about what *might* happen,
I’m not avoiding the news, I’m not avoiding this thread, I just realised at 1am I needed a breather.
This isn’t a flouncing post I’m going nowhere 😂🤣
I've come back here because I like the mix of banter and facts here,
but to everyone on here, walk away for a bit, just distance yourself from the news for a while when it gets too much, there’s no point making yourself sick with worrying about something we can’t control.
Part of keeping yourself healthy isn’t just stocking up on brown rice and pasta, it’s managing your anxiety and metal health as well.

that’s my patronising AF comment of the day 😜 I’m gonna go sniff some incense and find my chachra
(I have no stockpiled Incense and I cannot spell chachra)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23

Cocod28

Apologies again if this has already been said as trying to catch up but was just saying to my husband.
If one of my relatives had died from Coronavirus this week, the first thing I would do is be on the phone to all of the Sunday papers giving as many free interviews with as many publications as I possibly could. I would be asking all of our politicians to fully justify and explain to all of us as much as they could about their plan of action. I am getting crosser and crosser that they have all gone to ground over this. Are there any petitions started already about this?

Any journalists on here, please please start asking where BoJo is and what the actual plan is rather than just telling us about this f@cking herd immunity. Why are the WHO saying we aren’t doing the right thing? (Again excuse my naivety re WHO as I know some posters said they had political associations)

• Heart
  • Wow

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Virgin Atlantic have written a letter to the government saying the airline industry needs 7.5 billion (not million) is government aid.

How on earth would that work? The government can't bail out all these private companies that are going to suffer. Sure delay tax bills and adjust things to make it easier but can't just print and give money imo.
And surely government money should be used to help the "man on the street", every day people whose business will be struggling rather than multinationals?

AfroCircus

Chatty Member
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but from my perspective there is a pretty simple answer to origin of COVID-19.

The original Coronavirus originated in bats. This was then passed to an animal intermediary. Then it was introduced to humans.

Spend 10 minutes looking at Chinese wet markets, where birds, bats, and fish are slaughter alongside deer, pangolins, rabbits...every animal imaginable. These animals are kept in wired cages on top of each other for hours until sold and then slaughtered. They are in distress. They are defacating on top of each other. They are starving. They will eat anything that lands in their cage, including shit.

The markets are steaming hot and full of people constantly traipsing through. This is a breeding ground for novel, mutating viruses.

I’ve also seen talk of this being due to wild animal capture. Animals in the wild eat infected bat poo. Animals are put into said wet markets. Same ideas apply.

This virus essentially IS man made, it’s happened before and will happen again. It happened with swine flu and bird flu. They buried the pigs and ducks alive and continued as beforeyes, they really did do this).

Please no one take this as an attack on Chinese people. Just as many appalling things happen to animals in the U.K. But there is a reason why we’ve never had a novel viral outbreak - we don’t cross-contaminate in our meat industries.

Also DON’T recommend you look at the things I’ve mentioned if you’re sensitive to animal cruelty.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 22

Yel

Chatty Member
Is anyone else getting annoyed with family members that work for the NHS playing down the risk to old family members and speaking as if they're an expert?

One was saying on a group chat with high risk people it's fine to go out and do things, just don't spend 15 minutes within 2 meters of someone that has come back from an infected area. 😬 All it takes is a sneeze or touching some droplets. If it was really that difficult to pickup it wouldn't be spreading from unknown sources like it has been.

• Heart

MrsGarcia

Chatty Member
Yes it is.

I still go to work.
My kids go to school.
We go out for dinner.
We go out for 'family' time.
We are still going on holiday (UK).

Unless all these places are officially closed, then I will still be doing them.

No change in my life. Haven't panic bought loo rolls, soap, pasta, anything.

If we get it the virus we get it, if we die we die. At least we have enjoyed life whilst other people shit themselves.

I have family with Asthma and lung disease. We are all in agreement to continue as normal.
That's great. It's nice to see the people whom will be the reason for military style policing should it come to locking down the country. Unfortunately, your attitude of "I'm ok so what's the big deal?" is exactly why the government haven't imposed stricter guidelines so far. Our population is not yet *scared enough* to obey the simple rules suggested to keep others safe. Practice good hygiene, avoid busy places, don't travel unnecessarily, maintain social distance. These aren't being suggested to be awkward or to dampen everyday life. A couple of months of changing your lifestyle slightly could literally save a life. Or, you could die. Whatever.

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
If it's man made, would they not also have a vaccine? or at least have a very good idea how to create one?
Some say that the vaccine is the true weapon. That this is why it is being blown up by the media and world governments, a lot of intervention for such a small death rate. Malaria kills a child every 30 SECONDS yet there isn't this hysteria. Some think that we are being made to feel scared so that we willingly take the vaccine. Almost beg for one. The vaccine will then cause infertility in some children when they are older as a way to reduce the population. I can't say that I would be surprised if it were true. In any case, I am not having the vaccine. No way and neither are my children.

• Wow
  • Heart

Darlascott236

Yes it is.

I still go to work.
My kids go to school.
We go out for dinner.
We go out for 'family' time.
We are still going on holiday (UK).

Unless all these places are officially closed, then I will still be doing them.

No change in my life. Haven't panic bought loo rolls, soap, pasta, anything.

If we get it the virus we get it, if we die we die. At least we have enjoyed life whilst other people shit themselves.

I have family with Asthma and lung disease. We are all in agreement to continue as normal.
If you die you die what?!!! You have children! Oh god I cry if I think of anything happening to my babies or me and leave them. Oh god no way absolutely no way!

Yel

Chatty Member
I really would appreciate a daily address from the PM. I'm probably being very simple but it would help give some illusion of control. Although I think they're holding so much back it would make it difficult to do.

Notothefakes

VIP Member
What’s funny is I’m a home person, it’s who I am, I like to be tucked up in my home. But now the idea that I will have to stay in my home seems atrocious ri me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Cocod28

There is a huge amount of work being done to try and combat this virus. I'd far rather the government and medical experts be working on this rather than giving interviews to justify themselves to the press! As for the plan, I think we've been given very clear and concise information on that but not everyone seems prepared to take it. All the information is freely available on the government website and the NHS website.
Boris is that you?
Me too but I think they should be giving us an update or at least leaking to the press that senior medics/scientists are going in and out of Downing Street so that the public are reassured. Instead we are at the stage were supermarkets are rationing and people are fighting over toilet rolls. We need a clear strong leader who is coming out and telling us that planning is going on behind the scenes then to reassure us esp when other European countries have such different responses. It’s all very well telling us to keep calm and sneeze into a tissue but people are getting scared now.
Did you watch Macron or Varadkar? They instilled confidence and said they were protecting their elderly. We got told we’d loose love ones. It’s just NOT good enough. There’ll be riots before we know it.
I voted Tory too (don’t hold it against me) so you can’t say I’m a Boris Hater either.

Mitchymoo

I'd rather the media did put the facts out there than keep things from us ..people need to realise the seriousness of this . My local hospital has a woman in an induced coma because of the virus . It isn't just hype it's real.

• Sad
  • Wow
My mum is in Spain, she went on Friday before the announcement from the forgien office. She’s meant to be coming back on Wed, if the flight is cancelled or our borders don’t close. I’m normally a very rational person but i’m suddenly terrified she’s going to get it and die out there and I’ll never see her again. Even though this is probably the least likely outcome, I geneuieny cant stop thinking about it. It’s making me feel sick and my chest tight 😭

• Sad

PUGLETT

A 20 Yr old in my extended family currently has pneumonia. An ambulance was called for chest pains and medics came in Hazmat suits. They said he should stay at home and wouldn't test but it seems likely it is Corona Virus. He seems to be on the mend and he and his parents who are isolated with him can end isolation on Friday if they do not develop symptoms. It surprised me as they make out young people will just get a cold. I'm convinced now they are downplaying it. Still terrified for my parents in their 70s who are carrying on as normal. I think a lot of older people would rather get it than isolate 😔

• Wow
  • Sad

RachyWoo

VIP Member
The more I read the symptoms and hear the few stories from people who have had it and recovered,the more it sounds like whatever strain of flu I had last year. It was like flu I'd never had before and it floored me for over a month, and I usually get over cold and flu quite quickly. Even going to the toilet left me struggling to breathe. I remember one night sat on the edge of the bed trying to get my breath back, I'd just about crawled back from the toilet.

• Sad

50sGirl

VIP Member
Could we please not argue amongst ourselves about whose job is more risky regarding coronavirus?
We are ALL at risk of catching it, even when we are just going about our usual day-to-day lives, so arguing about it is not helping anyone.
It is an unknown disease, with no known vaccine and that is the reason people are so concerned.
As horrible as it sounds, it is just a waiting game. 😔

• Heart

Dandylion1

VIP Member
My son goes to a special school, alot of the kids there would be classed as in the high risk category for Covid-19, most of these parents have decided to keep the children off school. Which I think is the right decision. I really hope they government won't penalise parents taking their kids out. I'm very tempted to take my children out as I'm classed as high risk even though I'm early 30s.
My other sons school has a suspected case with one of the pupils. Also a parent was supposed to be self isolating after being in contact with a confirmed case and hasn't. People like that is what's going to cause this to rise sharply.
@Onthehop thanks for that info, was really helpful
Someone near me has had to take the child out of school because of the symptoms and the school has put it down as truancy it’s disgusting

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 20

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
ITV are obviously immune considering Saturday night takeaway have a....
live studio audience...?! of hundreds? did I hear that right?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20