Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was awful getting my 7yo to do the COVID test a few weeks back. The throat swab actually made her vomit😩 and she’d barely let me do the nose part after that. Was such a debacle I was convinced it would come back inconclusive. Hope we never have to go through that again.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
That’s disgusting what they’ve done to G Manchester. They’re really using it as an example to other local leaders- accept our offer or we’ll screw you over.

Local leaders said they were offered 60million, they agreed prior to they wouldn’t go below 65 so said no.
Government then withdraw from negotiations and then commit to offering 22million?! When they were prepared to give 60?! Only reason for this is they’re showing them who’s in charge and doing it out of pure spite! 😕

Andy Burnham was right, this is what all local constituencies will be faced with, it was never just about GM. The government have set a low precedent for any area that goes into tier 3.
HanCOCK says the 60 million offer is still available to them though.

What I'm struggling with is why there is a negotiation at all, why isn't it a fixed amount per person or per business, whichever way you want to do it, for any location that's put into Tier 3. I don't see why Manchester thinks it needs, or deserves, more than Liverpool, also in Tier 3. Very happy for someone to explain it to me but right now I'm confused about this point.

But then I also remember that Rishi and co have given absolutely no help whatsoever throughout the entire pandemic to 3 million freelancers and small limited company owners, which includes myself, despite paying considerable self-employed tax into the system, way way way more than I've ever taken out, over the last 30 years, 20 years a freelancer. In fact the gif has gone so far to imply that freelancers like myself are fraudsters, in spite of the hundreds of thousands of tax I've paid in over the years. So compared to the unholy dump that the government has taken on the nation's freelancer army, Manchester's not doing so bad right now.

Reactions: 14
Unfortunately even the test centres can't do an assisted test on any child under 12 due to consent issues.
It must be different in wales because when we got tested I was expecting to have to do the kids myself but they did it for us. Our 4yo (additional needs) did brilliantly and our 18m screamed but they just got it over with quickly and I was grateful it wasn’t me doing it!

Reactions: 2
This is interesting.. Yeah I know, Daily bleedin Mail...

Now that would be good.

Reactions: 4
Saw this tweet and I thought you guys might appreciate it, especially as there are posts here from such a variety of people having totally different experiences xx

9269FB18-DABF-4E52-973D-0DF05C46922A.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Unfortunately even the test centres can't do an assisted test on any child under 12 due to consent issues.
Must depend on the test centre. Where i am they ask if they you want them to do it for you. Thats adults & children.

Reactions: 1
the HSE has asked anyone who received a positive covid-19 test over the weekend to alert their own close contacts or anyone they might have been near at the time.......

Na, back to bed, I’m out 😂😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Saw this tweet and I thought you guys might appreciate it, especially as there are posts here from such a variety of people having totally different experiences xx

View attachment 282364
It’s a perfect summary. The external factors are all similar, but it’s so different for each person/family.

I agree there should be a set amount per head/business turnover dependant on the tier. However this becomes difficult with the north south difference.

I’m so grateful for the SE assistance as I really didn’t think we’d get anything. But looking at my earnings this year compared to last I’m over £10,000k down, including claiming my grants. It doesn’t look like I’ll be back to any sort of decent earnings until 2021. They government need to realise, despite their hopes they need to continue the financial help and look at helping those who were left behind during lockdown one. I know a few SE who have had to fold their businesses or and who are just hanging on but won’t last much longer.

£10,000 is a hell of a lot of money to many households. Then there are the high earners who wouldn't miss it. But I feel so sorry for people who are hard working with a mortgage and family to support.

Reactions: 7
£10,000 is a hell of a lot of money to many households. Then there are the high earners who wouldn't miss it. But I feel so sorry for people who are hard working with a mortgage and family to support.
We are just bringing in enough to cover our mortgage/bills as luckily my husbands job has been unaffected. But those who are losing jobs and businesses and possibly homes is who need the help the most. The government need to accept they cannot just say of the help ends here, people have lost so much which had they shut the borders and got control of things earlier could have perhaps prevented.

Reactions: 9
HanCOCK says the 60 million offer is still available to them though.

What I'm struggling with is why there is a negotiation at all, why isn't it a fixed amount per person or per business, whichever way you want to do it, for any location that's put into Tier 3. I don't see why Manchester thinks it needs, or deserves, more than Liverpool, also in Tier 3. Very happy for someone to explain it to me but right now I'm confused about this point.
The Tier 3 in Merseyside was approved very quickly. I get the impression that council leaders simply accepted the measures as a fair accompli if you know what I mean. When some aspects of it were scrutinised in more detail it became clear that the government had been less than clear/fair on some aspects and Manchester leaders thought hang on a minute we ain’t accepting all aspects of it blindly; if there is room for negotiation then that’s what we expect- discussion and debate.

For example, some decisions were lauded as having been ‘negotiable’ by the government (gym closures), but council leaders have confirmed that they never wanted gyms to close and have gone on record to say that they support them opening! So in neighbouring counties with similar infection rates, gyms are closed in one area and open in another. Businesses in one area will benefit/lose more than those ‘across the border’.

I don’t think it’s that they felt Manchester was more deserving then any other area, more that if Tier 3 restrictions (and financial support) is going to be a negotiation then Manchester felt that everyone deserved better. Their point is that the first few local authorities going through his process will almost set the blueprint for the rest that are likely to come under the ‘deal’ in the coming months.

[edit to add that I’m a simple soul so might have missed the point entirely 🤷‍♀️😆]

Reactions: 13
the HSE has asked anyone who received a positive covid-19 test over the weekend to alert their own close contacts or anyone they might have been near at the time.......

Na, back to bed, I’m out 😂😂
update 😂 Friday, Saturday and Sunday....
Of last week..... it’s Wednesday
😂

oh and fungie hasn’t be found 😕

My sisters kids were done by someone else and they are 9 and 12. She doesn't live in the same area as me though.. x

My family is impossible! My brother has just tested positive for Covid and has symptoms (he's quite young, only 20), my mum doesn't share a house with him but he's been staying with her the odd night (don't even get me started) anyway and she is high risk so is getting a test. I told she really should be isolating now at least til she has done her test and got the results. I warned if she gets a positive result warned her she will need to get her food etc organised (I don't live close by so can't help out). She is still going to see her sister and mother (both high risk) today and mentioned that if needs be during her 2 weeks she can just "Mask up" and go to the shop?!

I don't know how to talk with people who behave like this.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 25
My family is impossible! My brother has just tested positive for Covid and has symptoms (he's quite young, only 20), my mum doesn't share a house with him but he's been staying with her the odd night (don't even get me started) anyway and she is high risk so is getting a test. I told she really should be isolating now at least til she has done her test and got the results. I warned if she gets a positive result warned her she will need to get her food etc organised (I don't live close by so can't help out). She is still going to see her sister and mother (both high risk) today and mentioned that if needs be during her 2 weeks she can just "Mask up" and go to the shop?!

I don't know how to talk with people who behave like this.
I just don’t think you can reason with people like this (sorry!). Some people just don’t get it no matter how you explain it, it’s been 7 months now.

What a worry for you. Could she do online deliveries and maybe say it’ll be easier in the colder weather?

Reactions: 8
It seems ridiculous to me that the government is bickering over a few million quid of financial support for particularly hard hit parts of this country, when spending on Official Development Assistance (foreign aid to us normal folk!) is set to be £12.9 BILLION this year.

I am painfully aware that I sound like a Little Englander. Right now, I don’t give a shiny tit about that fact 😜

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Looks like they’ve accepted their error on gym closures In Merseyside and they will re-open (or open legally if they never shut 😆) from Friday. What a right royal mess that debacle was.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.