Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been making cautious plans with the knowledge they could be cancelled - but i can imagine its hard for people with kids etc the uncertainty. I think they are trying to not lock us back down because once they do how do they A) get public support - especially from areas which are still low cases, B) end it safely and C) not put us right back in March - they could say its only 2/3 weeks and end up being another 3/4 months which would be detrimental to mental health and the economy. Its such a fine line.

Reactions: 8
With hospitals reaching 100%, I want to know what that figure represents. Is it
Total number of beds
ICU capacity
Staffing
Or all three

Are all wards now open, and have they actually started using Nightingales again.

Whitty did say last week, that there was a supply of additional doctors and nurses that they could call upon when necessary. Are they now being utilised.

I have so many questions, I think I need to get Beth Rigby on the case.
All of the above i'd say, where will they get the additional staff redeploy them from other hospital services ? that's what they had to do here .We're now without a full surgery block that treats cancer patients as that's our nightingale.They had to activate the surge plan, plus all other elective surgeries cancelled
58804240-3B91-457C-95F8-1CE7A3822520.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 2
A bit random, but it’s why I’m worried about the NHS being overwhelmed....

My first baby became a nightmare birth - 15 days overdue (they had no room for me until it was crucial), emergency c-section - heart monitor strapped to me, 36 hours in labour, code red when doctors and nurses rushed into the room. Basically a nightmare, BUT nursing staff on hand, consultant called in, theatre free, anaesthetist ready to prep me within minutes. I had excellent care and it probably saved my life and my baby’s but I’ll always assume this care wasn’t a privilege but mine and my child’s right.

If hospitals are overrun with Covid patients, maybe all the professionals who assisted in the birth of my child won’t be available. I’m using my birth story as an example because it’s the only time I’ve been close to ‘death’ but think of all the other incidences us ’regular’ folk experience that are critical.

Why so hard to swallow is that as a country, we have to make the choice of health or wealth. We can no longer have both after years of austerity. And it’s so bloody disgusting, 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 17

My first baby became a nightmare birth - 15 days overdue (they had no room for me until it was crucial), emergency c-section - heart monitor strapped to me, 36 hours in labour, code red when doctors and nurses rushed into the room. Basically a nightmare, BUT nursing staff on hand, consultant called in, theatre free, anaesthetist ready to prep me within minutes. I had excellent care and it probably saved my life and my baby’s but I’ll always assume this care wasn’t a privilege but mine and my child’s right.

If hospitals are overrun with Covid patients, maybe all the professionals who assisted in the birth of my child won’t be available. I’m using my birth story as an example because it’s the only time I’ve been close to ‘death’ but think of all the other incidences us ’regular’ folk experience that are critical.

Why so hard to swallow is that as a country, we have to make the choice of health or wealth. We can no longer have both after years of austerity. And it’s so bloody disgusting, 😡
I don't think people fully understand how vital itu beds are to so many services in the NHS.

Reactions: 14
we have to make the choice of health or wealth
But that's not the choice.

Trashing the economy and shutting down everything for a virus that is most harmful for those in their 80s will also trash tax receipts and the NHS. Not to mention the long term scarring for millions of people that have their whole lives ahead of them.

Reactions: 14

More people should be worried about this tbh. Especially those giving it “I’m not worried about the virus, I won’t be ill”. Staff absence will be an issue. My board have no flu vaccine for frontline workers at present, all cancelled effective immediately today due to national supply issues.

And when I say worried, I mean in the event of taking no action to prevent Covid cases increasing further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
But that's not the choice.

Trashing the economy and shutting down everything for a virus that is most harmful for those in their 80s will also trash tax receipts and the NHS. Not to mention the long term scaring for millions of people.
Yes, totally agree but that choice has been taken from us. Both can’t be done, so this precarious balancing act of tiers and partial lockdowns have been introduced because we can’t throw the old to the wolves (who‘ve paid their taxes, served in the war, etc) to save the young who have yet to show their receipts (tit analogy, but I hope you get what I mean).

Reactions: 4
If it was as simple as “health or wealth” there wouldn’t be as much division on whether another lockdown should happen or not in my opinion, because most reasonable people would of course put health before £££.

Health or wealth just makes it sound like those against another lockdown only care about money and when it’s far more nuanced than that. It’s important that the nhs doesn’t get over run so we can all seek treatment when we need it, but it’s also important that people aren’t left jobless and homeless because of knee jerk restrictions and inadequate help from the government. It’s certainly a fine line.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
If it was as simple as “health or wealth” there wouldn’t be as much division on whether another lockdown should happen or not in my opinion, because most reasonable people would of course put health before £££.

Health or wealth just makes it sound like those against another lockdown only care about money and when it’s far more nuanced than that. It’s important that the nhs doesn’t get over run so we can all seek treatment when we need it, but it’s also important that people aren’t left jobless and homeless because of knee jerk restrictions and inadequate help from the government. It’s certainly a fine line.
the thing is most people aren’t reasonable. If lockdown 1 has proved anything it’s that people are selfish and entitled

Reactions: 8
To add a positive here ✌ the NE of England’s rates are really starting to decline since the level 2 restrictions were made mid September 👍

Reactions: 26
How did lockdown 1 prove this? The vast majority followed lockdown.
maybe where you live but many didn’t. Tattle doesn’t represent the general population. I can confidently say people on this thread will follow the rules. I can’t say the same for the real world

Reactions: 3
Yes, totally agree but that choice has been taken from us. Both can’t be done, so this precarious balancing act of tiers and partial lockdowns have been introduced because we can’t throw the old to the wolves (who‘ve paid their taxes, served in the war, etc) to save the young who have yet to show their receipts (tit analogy, but I hope you get what I mean).
But it's not only the old people you'd be throwing it's still a completely unknown virus that's rampaging around the world changing as it goes .We'll not know for years the effects we'll be left with. I think that's why they're being so cautious you only need to look at the things that are emerging from it now in such a short time with so much of the population yet to catch it .

To add a positive here ✌ the NE of England’s rates are really starting to decline since the level 2 restrictions were made mid September 👍
Our hospitality has been closed a fortnight and we've had 82 cases today down from 220

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.