Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aww Kate Garraway is amazing. I hope her husband gets better.

Great to hear her talking more.

Reactions: 12
I've been shopping today in my nearby town and decided to go into the Sainsbury's there which is an enormous super store. It was just a free for all. Everybody going whichever way they liked. No social distancing. Nobody bothering with masks🙄. I was walking past Poundland later and there was someone on the door counting people in and out and everything looked to be very organised😂😂. Good old Poundland😂😂👏👏

Reactions: 14
Did my 6 year olds random covid test this morning, the swab one and the new saliva one (they want to compare).

Trying to get my 6 year old to understand how to spit into a tube may have been be of the most frustrating experiences of my life 😂 shoving a swab up her nose was far easier, and I thought it would be the other way round!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Aww Kate Garraway is amazing. I hope her husband gets better.

Great to hear her talking more.
I honestly love her so much, I’m really pleased to see Derek has made improvements and hoping he makes a full recovery 🤞 when she did her interview with Ben I was SOBBING 😂

Reactions: 2
Cmon then, who is the 1 person who has voted for the £10 meal vouchers? 😂🙊

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Im not sure if I am posting on the correct thread but just wanted to say that my anxiety and paranoia is literally taking over my life. I work in a (thankfully and touch wood) covid free care home, all thanks to manager intervening sooner by stopping visitors before lockdown and telling all staff to be mindful of this outbreak. I am always very careful. I only go shopping once a fortnight and local corner shop once a week. I use handsoap and hand sanitiser constantly and I avoid touching my face at all unless my hands have been washed about 5 times! Any stuff that comes into the house I wipe down. I'm very much OTT. The rest of the time it's work and home and back again. My worry is that I'm going to get this virus and I'm not worried about myself but I'm worried about my family, both who are BAME and the residents and staff with health problems at work. We are being tested for covid every week and so far, negative but one positive and that's it. Its game over. I'm not sure what it is but I'm always coming down with hay-fever symptoms which I suffer with any way, today is terrible I'm sneezing, blocked up nose and sore throat. The only place I've been to is corner shop. This is really taking over my life guys. I used to have health anxiety and was very fearful of dying but now, I think I wouldn't care if I did because I hate living my life like this. It's depressing and the thought of contracting covid and passing it on, potentially killing people I just can't live with that.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Im not sure if I am posting on the correct thread but just wanted to say that my anxiety and paranoia is literally taking over my life. I work in a (thankfully and touch wood) covid free care home, all thanks to manager intervening sooner by stopping visitors before lockdown and telling all staff to be mindful of this outbreak. I am always very careful. I only go shopping once a fortnight and local corner shop once a week. I use handsoap and hand sanitiser constantly and I avoid touching my face at all unless my hands have been washed about 5 times! Any stuff that comes into the house I wipe down. I'm very much OTT. The rest of the time it's work and home and back again. My worry is that I'm going to get this virus and I'm not worried about myself but I'm worried about my family, both who are BAME and the residents and staff with health problems at work. We are being tested for covid every week and so far, negative but one positive and that's it. Its game over. I'm not sure what it is but I'm always coming down with hay-fever symptoms which I suffer with any way, today is terrible I'm sneezing, blocked up nose and sore throat. The only place I've been to is corner shop. This is really taking over my life guys. I used to have health anxiety and was very fearful of dying but now, I think I wouldn't care if I did because I hate living my life like this. It's depressing and the thought of contracting covid and passing it on, potentially killing people I just can't live with that.
I'm so sorry this is affecting you so badly, you seem very selfless and it's lovely you care so much about not infecting others. The fact is, you are already doing everything within your control and community transmission is currently very low (I'm not sure what part of the country you are in though as some areas are lower than others.)

Have you spoken to anyone about this? Like a dr etc. If this is having such an impact on your day to day life it might be time to. Also raise your concerns with your manager at work.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm so sorry this is affecting you so badly, you seem very selfless and it's lovely you care so much about not infecting others. The fact is, you are already doing everything within your control and community transmission is currently very low (I'm not sure what part of the country you are in though as some areas are lower than others.)

Have you spoken to anyone about this? Like a dr etc. If this is having such an impact on your day to day life it might be time to. Also raise your concerns with your manager at work.
Thank you. I honestly care about everyone else who can get extremely poorly from this. I haven't spoken to a GP as I'm sure there's thousands of other people in the same boat as me, but my manager is aware and all she said was to just keep on top of hygeine, social distancing etc and of course any symptoms then self isolate immediately. We wear PPE at work so thay helps as we can't social distance at work. It's very small and no proper air flow. I am lucky the home I work in is fantastic but of course the worry is there constantly. I just can't wait till this is all over. Wish I could hibernate!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you. I honestly care about everyone else who can get extremely poorly from this. I haven't spoken to a GP as I'm sure there's thousands of other people in the same boat as me, but my manager is aware and all she said was to just keep on top of hygeine, social distancing etc and of course any symptoms then self isolate immediately. We wear PPE at work so thay helps as we can't social distance at work. It's very small and no proper air flow. I am lucky the home I work in is fantastic but of course the worry is there constantly. I just can't wait till this is all over. Wish I could hibernate!
Just because they may be receiving a lot of people with the same anxieties as you doesn't make yours any less valid - I would really recommend asking your gp for advice over the phone as they can offer you some support.

Your manager sounds like she is doing all she can - I worked in care homes a few years back so I know how hard it must be to adhere to the distancing guidance particularly with manual handling etc. All you can do is what you are doing to stay safe, check your areas hospital admissions too as it's probably a lot lower than you think and might help a bit with perspective of how prevalent it actually is right now.

(In case anyone jumps on this, I am not saying it is gone and not to worry, just that currently we are in the best position with the virus that we have been in since early March, and are still seeing declines so the actual likelihood of contracting the virus right now whilst adhering to guidelines is quite low)

Reactions: 9
My son’s (primary) school have issued guidance today about how they’re planning on running from September.
Staggered start/finish/lunch times, parents not allowed on site for the older years, one way system, desks facing forwards. Bubbles will mainly be by class but full years if required.

No singing in classrooms, no assemblies, windows kept open throughout winter so wrap up warm!

I think they’ve done a great job keeping parents updated, it must be a real headache! Part of it makes me feel sad and anxious. We’ve become used to our new routine at home and branching out slowly but this is a whole new ball game.

As long as kids feel happy at school that’s the most important thing to me right now. Theyve said first and foremost they’ll make that priority and then once kids are settled, focus on maths and English above other things.

My kids school are doing staggered start and finish times from Sept too.

I have 3 kids in 3 different year groups 🙄🙄

Reactions: 5
My kids school are doing staggered start and finish times from Sept too.

I have 3 kids in 3 different year groups 🙄🙄
Same here. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time hanging around the edges of the playground, trying not to get in the way/be spotted between time slots 😆

My son’s (primary) school have issued guidance today about how they’re planning on running from September.
Staggered start/finish/lunch times, parents not allowed on site for the older years, one way system, desks facing forwards. Bubbles will mainly be by class but full years if required.

No singing in classrooms, no assemblies, windows kept open throughout winter so wrap up warm!

I think they’ve done a great job keeping parents updated, it must be a real headache! Part of it makes me feel sad and anxious. We’ve become used to our new routine at home and branching out slowly but this is a whole new ball game.

As long as kids feel happy at school that’s the most important thing to me right now. Theyve said first and foremost they’ll make that priority and then once kids are settled, focus on maths and English above other things.
My daughters school have taken the same approach. They have all year groups back in limited numbers (160 out 420) now for those that wanted to go back.

I was nervous when she first went back but she’s happy and settled, and has enjoyed the changes and doesn’t want it to go back 😂 - there have been no issues across the school so far.

Same here. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time hanging around the edges of the playground, trying not to get in the way/be spotted between time slots 😆
Ours let’s you drop off all children at the earliest time slot, so you clear off!!!

Reactions: 3
Wow John Lewis has just announced:

JohnLewis said:
Prior to COVID-19 some of our shops were already financially challenged, despite the drive and determination of our Partners. The pandemic has accelerated the shift from shopping in-store to online, and in order to navigate these changes, we are having to make some difficult decisions. As a result, we are not planning to reopen the following shops: Birmingham, Croydon, Heathrow, Newbury, St Pancras, Swindon, Tamworth and Watford.

• Wow
  • Sad
Such a shame for the employees, but sadly I’m not surprised. Long gone are the days of shopping at John Lewis because the customer service is so much better, since the centralised call centre was introduced the service (not in store) has been dire in my experience. We have a large John Lewis in the city I live in, they need to up their game to survive. So many other shops now offer a better experience.

Reading about the 9 tower blocks in Melbourne which were closed off with no warning for the residents, they went to go to the shop one day and police just stopped them leaving the building. Letters were sent a couple of days after advising they couldn't leave, not giving any time scales. Some of the people living in the blocks do not speak English, they are also some of the poorest.

Apparently food boxes have not been adequately provided either, the community has had to provide support.

Sorry but this terrifies me, it's all a bit 1984 for my liking and I refuse to beleive they would do it in a more affluent area. If you're going to do this at least have the information ready for the residents as soon as possible and provide the necessary provisions. No excuses from such a developed, wealthy and mostly liberal country like Australia.

(I realise this has been happening in other countries like China for a while but everything in general is a bit 1984 there so it's less shocking to me.)

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.