Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If we don't close things now, let's look at the possible figures.

Worst case: 80% catch the virus
WHO figures of CFR: 3.4%
Population of UK: 66440000

Actual worst case: 1.8 million deaths

I'm watching the news and it says there's going to be no mass testing, don't call tour doctor just stay home. But if people are on ventilators because of it how is that handled at home? Obviously the GP is busy but to not even phone. I don't get it

Reactions: 3
Thank the lord, my husbands been granted to work from home indefinitely. He has 1 meeting tomorrow then he can work from home as his boss said he’s sending anyone home who has partners or children with health issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
For Germany :

Coronavirus Cases: 2,512
Deaths: 5
Recovered: 25
I would like the media to focus more on Germany and what they’re doing right here. It would help people rationalise / stop so much of the panic buying at the least I think.

Reactions: 7
So it’s all over the world, why does everyone keep comparing it to Italy and not other countries? Just getting a bit confused about this?
Italy is the first country it broke out in europe, so most places are 1-2 weeks behind them and expect to see the same development.

Reactions: 3
I'm watching the news and it says there's going to be no mass testing, don't call tour doctor just stay home. But if people are on ventilators because of it how is that handled at home? Obviously the GP is busy but to not even phone. I don't get it
I think the thought process is that most can self manage symptoms at home. There’s just not capacity or even need to test everyone. Respiratory illnesses should just be treated as covid 19 and isolated at home unless proven otherwise. If someone is ill enough to need respiratory support they’ll go to hospital and then get the official test.

Reactions: 6
Just had a look at the corona thing on the nhs website. It has now changed the questionnaire and checklist thingy. If you have a temperature and can’t do your regular activities then it advises you to phone 111.

Thank the lord, my husbands been granted to work from home indefinitely. He has 1 meeting tomorrow then he can work from home as his boss said he’s sending anyone home who has partners or children with health issues.
Good for your husband

I don't understand these companies though that acted like WFH was never a possibilities, external webinars were too expensive, etc etc....now they going HAM on these things

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I feel like they didn't give enough tangible advice for overlooked, mundane aspects of everyday like - i.e. should people go to the gym? prescriptions? are there any foods people could implement to better their immune systems? (not everyone knows that mushrooms, for example, are quite good at this) should people really be going to pubs if alcohol suppresses immune systems? (I would say drinking alcohol in general...but Boris kindly reassured us that, alas, people are dying but the pubs are open!!) what mental health/well-being resources/self-help acts can people do to keep calm during this distressing time? I could write a book

Reactions: 9
I also wonder why they’re not bothering to test everyone they can. Do they not want the true extent of numbers? I wish they would also say how many recoveries we’ve had.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone got a link to the google drive document that shows cases per day? I found it useful for tracking the % rise. It was made by someone on Twitter.

I would like the media to focus more on Germany and what they’re doing right here. It would help people rationalise / stop so much of the panic buying at the least I think.
It's a bit difficult due to the federal system.. But football matches behind closed doors, no concerts or other events with more than 1000 participants in most parts of Germany (in some region also 500 or less... But in some regions no restrictions yet), in Berlin they will close state museums, theatres and libraries from tomorrow onwards... Universities in Berlin have also cancelled all events / conferences and the semester will start a week later. If somebody is infected the local health authorities track down all contact persons and also put them in quarantine. That's about it so far. School closures only if there have been cases.

Reactions: 2
It makes me wonder if everyone who was super proud they did are still as proud now.
1584036945651.png

Yes BoJo and his chums are glad we can develop herd immunity when they're safe behind their gated million pound homes and don't have to mingle with everyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
TBH I thought Boris looked a bit dispondant in that news conference...But great to see George Alagiah back..

Reactions: 1
The big push is on helping the elderly and vulnerable - who is protect them? Healthy people like myself?
I work in a massive open plan office. How am I supposed to help my elderly Nan with compromised health without putting her at risk. Who is supposed to help her?

to protect the vulnerable means that those doing the caring need to be the targeted group and that simply isn’t the case!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.