Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine is hopefully going back, she’s got a place but I live in a labour area and it’s got very political 🙄 . She’s ok, but really wants to go back (although she doesn’t know that if/when she does none of her best friends are going back because only 20 out 60 have said they would

My youngest will be going back to nursery as well.

I have said this before but I have been really unimpressed with the home schooling of my daughters school. One phone call in 9 weeks to check how we were, no work sent home just access to a couple of apps. I know of multiple people who have been unable to access the apps and they haven’t even really helped them 🙄

Feel like we’ve been totally on our own, with no help and we’ve both worked throughout.

Interesting because we were told no LA staff would be furloughed. I’ve asked 3 times 😂

local authorities now have a massive black hole due to lack of income and government not bailing them out.
Weve just had the phone call this morning 🤔

that’s shocking! We get an email every evening with a whole day of work planned. Spellings, reading, maths & writing. Then a theme project that changes every 4 weeks. We easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day working through it. She’s in year 2. Can’t believe how different the schools can be.
I know we have done 4 hours a day - but that’s me creating a curriculum 🤦‍♀️ I think the lack consistency in education is a scandal in itself.

Reactions: 1
Mine is hopefully going back, she’s got a place but I live in a labour area and it’s got very political 🙄 . She’s ok, but really wants to go back (although she doesn’t know that if/when she does none of her best friends are going back because only 20 out 60 have said they would

My youngest will be going back to nursery as well.

I have said this before but I have been really unimpressed with the home schooling of my daughters school. One phone call in 9 weeks to check how we were, no work sent home just access to a couple of apps. I know of multiple people who have been unable to access the apps and they haven’t even really helped them 🙄

Feel like we’ve been totally on our own, with no help and we’ve both worked throughout.

Interesting because we were told no LA staff would be furloughed. I’ve asked 3 times 😂

local authorities now have a massive black hole due to lack of income and government not bailing them out.
It's being reported 2m could lose their jobs as employers will have to pay 20% of wages on the furlough scheme ,so I'd say employers will be keen to get everyone back ASAP if they can..

• Sad
Reactions: 2
that’s shocking! We get an email every evening with a whole day of work planned. Spellings, reading, maths & writing. Then a theme project that changes every 4 weeks. We easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day working through it. She’s in year 2. Can’t believe how different the schools can be.
Ours is the same. Student class portals get updated every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with heaps of work to do! We are 3 weeks behind on some subjects (mainly because I had to teach myself before my siblings!🤫) We never get through all of it as I think the kids can only handle 3 hours of lessons a day and even then they have a gazillion excuses to leave the room, have a break, questions! Going to try to negotiate a salary with my parents if this continues!!

They are both Y4 and go to a small school - think the school have handled things brilliantly and we get bi weekly calls to check in from class teacher and Senco.

I know we have done 4 hours a day - but that’s me creating a curriculum 🤦‍♀️ I think the lack consistency in education is a scandal in itself.
What are they offering to the children who do go back in terms of education?
Ours have been brilliant with home learning, really supportive. The school has said those returning will be doing the same work that is set for those learning from home (so activities based around subjects) but not following the curriculum so that all children are on an even keel when they return. How would a school like yours manage that if they arent giving the proper resources out to home learners?

Weve not had much search for my daughter that's in Y1. They have been posting very regular updates on a website you can attach pictures, videos. Her teachers been reading them stories a couple of times a week, setting them little challenges, basically getting the kids to engage and check up on them.

God!
Have you seen the news that South Korea have had to re-shut their schools not long after reopening them due to a spike?

I honestly have big reservations about schools going back. I know up here in Scotland they are going for a mid August return.

Any English parents on here... what’s your thoughts about your schools reopening sooner?
I guess that's why they want then open next week... 6 weeks before they're due to close for the summer. Maybe a test. Teacher here and massively oppose it. Independent sage have said they shouldn't open.

Reactions: 3
What are they offering to the children who do go back in terms of education?
Ours have been brilliant with home learning, really supportive. The school has said those returning will be doing the same work that is set for those learning from home (so activities based around subjects) but not following the curriculum so that all children are on an even keel when they return. How would a school like yours manage that if they arent giving the proper resources out to home learners?
They can’t even decide if they should reopen at the moment 😂

But they have said they will be teaching the curriculum and the same will be “available” to those that don’t send their children. I assume links to worksheets etc to print off at home

• Wow
I guess that's why they want then open next week... 6 weeks before they're due to close for the summer. Maybe a test. Teacher here and massively oppose it. Independent sage have said they shouldn't open.

Some parents in Germany have won a court battle to stop their kids going to school as most feel it's not safe yet ,so all the stories about German schools opening without a problem must be false, it said most schools are not even open yet ?

• Wow
I could have written this. My daughter (reception) is going in and my son (year 4) will stay at home and have a bit more home schooling from me as his sister won't be taking up all of my time.

I live in a low risk area in Dorset and personally don't know anyone who has had covid in our local area.
Dorset girl here too 🙋‍♀️ interesting as from your posts we share kind of similar views but Dorset looks to have had one of the lowest rates in the country so maybe that colours our views to being a bit more relaxed.

Reactions: 3
Dorset girl here too 🙋‍♀️ interesting as from your posts we share kind of similar views but Dorset looks to have had one of the lowest rates in the country so maybe that colours our views to being a bit more relaxed.
Hello! Yes we are very lucky here not to have many cases. That's not to say we won't see a rise because everyone is flocking here for the beaches and countryside. But I still feel comfortable with my decision re: school.

Just found out I'm returning to work in 4 weeks....been working from home for 2 months, going back to a big open plan office...no idea how we are supposed to social distance and it's freaking me out!

• Wow
Just found out I'm returning to work in 4 weeks....been working from home for 2 months, going back to a big open plan office...no idea how we are supposed to social distance and it's freaking me out!
My fiancé's company is opening beginning of June. It is a tower with thousands of people so only people that don't have proper software at home and essential will be going in for the first while, and may rotate. Only 3 people allowed in an elevator at once. Masks must be worn. Luckily my fiancé has his own separate office so he can take it off if he's alone but people in cubicles have to wear it all day. His work mailed out a bunch of masks to him. The food court in the office will be open but no tables or chairs.

We’ve been told we will be working from home for many months. They’ve said our building can only take a 30% capacity when they adhere to the 2m rules. Suits me fine. My neck is agony though from sitting on a silly little fold up chair hunched over my laptop daily

I’ve been into mine today they’ve started marking the floors out and there were posters everywhere.

They aren’t allowed to open offices until risk assessments have been done, you will not be going back with no strategy in place 😘

We’ve been told we will be working from home for many months. They’ve said our building can only take a 30% capacity when they adhere to the 2m rules. Suits me fine. My neck is agony though from sitting on a silly little fold up chair hunched over my laptop daily
Can you not take office furniture home? I’ve taken a chair etc (took the best one since I was first in 😂)

Reactions: 4
I hate humans!!!!!! Apart from my family, (although some are questionable), friends and some people in here, you're fine!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm raging here. Kids from 4 different families out our backs all mixing together and playing, not bothered who's sees them. It's been happening every day for the past few weeks. I'm sat trying to relax and they keep coming down my end and I'm a proper grumpy sod telling them to bugger off and get back up their end. Parents dont give a tit either. I was trying to explain to the kids the 2m rule and they all just stared at me.😂 I've turned into my father. I'll be known forever as that grumpy lady who keeps telling us off 😂

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
School letters and emails from primary schools seem to have gone out in Ireland today,

Looks like reopening will start on the 28th/31st of August

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.