Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Quick question on furlough

Have a situ where possible furlough staff could be earning more than current working staff if we take into consideration overtime (currently paying 40hr 80%)

Feel like it’s a v difficult awkward stance morally as we need as many staff working for when our industry picks up (in the next few weeks) but if they realise they’ll get more furloughed than working then I think they will not (understandably) be happy
I used to work for a pub chain (friends still do) and they paid furlough based on average hours over the course of a year or their current employment (if less than a year).

Reactions: 2

Have a situ where possible furlough staff could be earning more than current working staff if we take into consideration overtime (currently paying 40hr 80%)

Feel like it’s a v difficult awkward stance morally as we need as many staff working for when our industry picks up (in the next few weeks) but if they realise they’ll get more furloughed than working then I think they will not (understandably) be happy
This is going to sound so stupid, but how has that situation arised?
If furloughed staff are only being paid 80% but other staff are in work and on usual wage + overtime... Surely they're taking home more pay for being in work?
Or am I missing something? 😂🙈

It is the businesses decision though, so if staff need to be in work as a functioning business then they have to be in. If they're isolating then they need to switch to SSP and if they don't want to be in then they can discuss unpaid leave.
Its a case of lump it for the majority unfortunately but it makes for awkward atmospheres 🤦🏻‍♀️😔

I think you will find he's my Rishi I saw him first.....or was that Raab?:unsure: oh duck knows!
On the gin already? 😂

Reactions: 3
If furloughed staff are only being paid 80% but other staff are in work and on usual wage + overtime... Surely they're taking home more pay for being in work?

It is the businesses decision though, so if staff need to be in work as a functioning business then they have to be in. If they're isolating then they need to switch to SSP and if they don't want to be in then they can discuss unpaid leave.
Its a case of lump it for the majority unfortunately but it makes for awkward atmospheres 🤦🏻‍♀️😔

On the gin already? 😂
surprisingly not. Is it too early to start? :unsure: 😊

• Haha

On the gin already? 😂
because business is quieter. we work in transport so they work 40hours and anything over 40hours is paid overtime - usually we are busy so they can clock up more, but because we need to tide over, so the guys who are working are taking home a couple of hours overtime at most, whereas if those who are furloughed (Which we have done as goodwill due to shielding) could take home more of average hours are paid if you see what I mean?

I have a feeling we are being too kind to offer furlough for shielding when SSP is fine for that situation

Reactions: 1
And?
Vulnerable people have more than enough in place to be able to get delivery slots and things delivered to them.
If the slots online are available to you and me, then she should be able to use them without curtain twitchers getting so worked up about it.

Mind your own business.
Why on earth are you so bothered about it? Surely to god you've got yourself and your own family to worry about.
I'm classed as extremely vulnerable (shielding etc) and I struggle to get a delivery. I had one last week and can't get another one now until next week. Even then that was due to luck. It is not easy at all to get a delivery slot.

I'm classed as extremely vulnerable (shielding etc) and I struggle to get a delivery. I had one last week and can't get another one now until next week. Even then that was due to luck. It is not easy at all to get a delivery slot.
have you called Tesco to ask? My mum did, and she gets a slot a week now. They put you as priority

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I thought the extremely vulnerable who are being asked to shield were being delivered government food boxes?

Plenty of people in here have had good experiences calling/ emailing supermarkets and getting a slot for elderly relatives, try that.

I thought the extremely vulnerable who are being asked to shield were being delivered government food boxes?

Plenty of people in here have had good experiences calling/ emailing supermarkets and getting a slot for elderly relatives, try that.
I haven't received anything, my neighbour with terminal lung cancer recieved his first government food box today.

Completely agree. We've had to rely on family some weeks as we just can't get a slot

• Sad
because business is quieter. we work in transport so they work 40hours and anything over 40hours is paid overtime - usually we are busy so they can clock up more, but because we need to tide over, so the guys who are working are taking home a couple of hours overtime at most, whereas if those who are furloughed (Which we have done as goodwill due to shielding) could take home more of average hours are paid if you see what I mean?

I have a feeling we are being too kind to offer furlough for shielding when SSP is fine for that situation
I didn't think overtime was included, isn't 80% of contract?

SSP is fine for shielding?! The government has ordered them to stay home for 12/17 weeks and you think £94 a week is enough.... am I missing something?

Reactions: 8
I haven't received anything, my neighbour with terminal lung cancer recieved his first government food box today.
Have you not received letters and texts from the Government about it? My friend is shielding and she's constantly receiving info. She has had the NHS volunteers ring to ask if she needs her shopping doing?

Also, all supermarkets have the list of the 1.5 million shielding and were meant to phone them and ask if they need an online slot?

Why is it the fault of the furloughed staff that the employer has cut pay for those still working?

I didn't think overtime was included, isn't 80% of contract?

SSP is fine for shielding?! The government has ordered them to stay home for 12/17 weeks and you think £94 a week is enough.... am I missing something?
depends on your contract, they have changed their wording and have allowed commission and non discretionary overtime to be included.

and no, obviously I don’t think it’s enough to live on hence why my business is in this situation. I’ve furloughed all staff who need to be shielded, but the Gov say you do not need to furlough- it is a business choice and they suggest otherwise they go on SSP.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.