Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #22

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As before, links you might find useful....

(GOV.UK)
www.gov.uk

(NHS advice about COVID-19)
www.nhs.uk

(World Health Organisation)
www.who.int

(Total cases - U.K. numbers)
www.arcgis.com

Geographical distribution of COVID-19 cases globally. The data is updated daily.
www.ecdc.europa.eu

COVID-19 MAP (google maps)
https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1yCPR-ukAgE55sROnmBUFmtLN6riVLTu3&hl=en_GB

(Previous threads coronavirus)
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Users are encouraged to use our support threads if you’re struggling, feeling overwhelmed or lonely, remember nobody here is qualified to give medical/psychological advice and we’re all just here to support each other 🙂

Reactions: 1
France have a really high death rate as well it's been over 1000 for a few days
yer I think their highest was around 1400 and then America have had nearly 2000 in one day 😳. I try not to compare the numbers now, every country will be doing it differently I think. Just hoping we’re near the peak and will hopefully see number start to go down.

Reactions: 6
One of my best friends is a nursing student, she’s been told she has to go back on placement despite finishing her hours for the year. If she doesn’t then she won’t be allowed to graduate. I understand that this is an unprecedented (that word :rolleyes:) situation but I feel so bad for her. She’s put so much work into her degree and done so many unpaid hours already. She’s also terrified because her placement could be anywhere in the hospital. It’s hard to see her getting stressed out over this as she’s usually a chilled out person

I just hate how this virus is affecting literally everything

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
kenny Dalgleish has been hospitalised with the virus
Interestingly he’s asymptomatic but tested positive. He’s in hospital for a different illness - an infection requiring IV antibiotics. He’d been self isolating too prior to his hospital admission. Hope he’s ok!

Reactions: 13
Someone posted about this whole thing making you realise you hate your job.....I had this reply typed out, so you’re getting it now whether you want it or not 😆

I resigned from a high-stress job 6 months ago. We moved 3 hrs away, to a more rural location; the house price difference meant that we could pay off 65% mortgage so I can be a lady of leisure for a good few years, with hubby working from home. (sorry if I sound like a smug asshole; I’m still chuffed that we pulled it off 🤷‍♀️)

Ironically, my previous role will have been off-the-scale busy and stressful during this crisis and do you know what, despite a little professional interest in how my successor is handling it, I can honestly say that 90% of me is so happy and relieved that I don’t have to concern myself with all that tit. I read a quote somewhere that said ”If you die on a Monday, your role will be advertised on the next working day.” and it’s true......unless you have a genuine vocation, the vast majority of paid employment is just that- an exchange of money for labour. So many of us become so invested, because we’re conscientious and hard-working, and it’s a shame really because it comes at the expense of what really matters which is our own life, family and friends.

I feel irritated now at the amount of time my work laptop was ’on’ at home when I wasn’t officially working, the number of nights my husband would put my kids to bed as I sat downstairs still working (I was only in a 9-5 role but there was a culture of working outside of those hours), the amount of my leisure/family time where I would take a work call when I should have turned my phone off.

My 3 kids have been home from school with me for several weeks now, and opposed to frantically trying to homeschool them alongside working from home, which would have been my previous situation (and would have brought so much stress on us all), we’ve (strangely) had a really lovely few weeks. Don’t get me wrong I am aware how lucky we have it, but lockdown has been....well....kinda nice? Our lives have become smaller; no outings, no cinema, bowling, a holiday cancelled, no swimming, hobbies,.....but we go for a long walk every day, we have watched films together, baked cakes, played games, probably got to know each other better and laughed more than we have in a long time. Don’t get me wrong it’s been a bleeping ball ache having them all home as well (much gin has been consumed), but it’s confirmed for me what matters and it sure as hell ain’t work. Those fuckers haven’t missed or needed me at all....and Jesus I worked my god damn ass off for that company for years.

• Heart
Reactions: 76
One of my best friends is a nursing student, she’s been told she has to go back on placement despite finishing her hours for the year. If she doesn’t then she won’t be allowed to graduate. I understand that this is an unprecedented (that word :rolleyes:) situation but I feel so bad for her. She’s put so much work into her degree and done so many unpaid hours already. She’s also terrified because her placement could be anywhere in the hospital. It’s hard to see her getting stressed out over this as she’s usually a chilled out person

I just hate how this virus is affecting literally everything
I’m not sure where she’s based but student nurses in the ROI are all being paid for their placement hours. It really should be like that everywhere.

“Apple and Google have said they will work together to create contact tracing technology that aims to slow the spread of the coronavirus by allowing users to opt into a system that catalogs other phones they have been near”

yeah, no thanks.
would anyone opt in?!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I’m not sure where she’s based but student nurses in the ROI are all being paid for their placement hours. It really should be like that everywhere.

“Apple and Google have said they will work together to create contact tracing technology that aims to slow the spread of the coronavirus by allowing users to opt into a system that catalogs other phones they have been near”

yeah, no thanks.
would anyone opt in?!
Not a hope!

Reactions: 4
Someone posted about this whole thing making you realise you hate your job.....I had this reply typed out, so you’re getting it now whether you want it or not 😆

I resigned from a high-stress job 6 months ago. We moved 3 hrs away, to a more rural location; the house price difference meant that we could pay off 65% mortgage so I can be a lady of leisure for a good few years, with hubby working from home. (sorry if I sound like a smug asshole; I’m still chuffed that we pulled it off 🤷‍♀️)

Ironically, my previous role will have been off-the-scale busy and stressful during this crisis and do you know what, despite a little professional interest in how my successor is handling it, I can honestly say that 90% of me is so happy and relieved that I don’t have to concern myself with all that tit. I read a quote somewhere that said ”If you die on a Monday, your role will be advertised on the next working day.” and it’s true......unless you have a genuine vocation, the vast majority of paid employment is just that- an exchange of money for labour. So many of us become so invested, because we’re conscientious and hard-working, and it’s a shame really because it comes at the expense of what really matters which is our own life, family and friends.

I feel irritated now at the amount of time my work laptop was ’on’ at home when I wasn’t officially working, the number of nights my husband would put my kids to bed as I sat downstairs still working (I was only in a 9-5 role but there was a culture of working outside of those hours), the amount of my leisure/family time where I would take a work call when I should have turned my phone off.

My 3 kids have been home from school with me for several weeks now, and opposed to frantically trying to homeschool them alongside working from home, which would have been my previous situation (and would have brought so much stress on us all), we’ve (strangely) had a really lovely few weeks. Don’t get me wrong I am aware how lucky we have it, but lockdown has been....well....kinda nice? Our lives have become smaller; no outings, no cinema, bowling, a holiday cancelled, no swimming, hobbies,.....but we go for a long walk every day, we have watched films together, baked cakes, played games, probably got to know each other better and laughed more than we have in a long time. Don’t get me wrong it’s been a bleeping ball ache having them all home as well (much gin has been consumed), but it’s confirmed for me what matters and it sure as hell ain’t work. Those fuckers haven’t missed or needed me at all....and Jesus I worked my god damn ass off for that company for years.
As the saying goes "your only a number" no matter who you are ..

Reactions: 18

yeah, no thanks.
would anyone opt in?!
She’s being paid for the extra placement - Band 3, £1/hour more than minimum wage, the same wage she gets for working as a HCA which is less responsibility and more flexible. Apparently the fact they’re actually being paid is the justification 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
kenny Dalgleish has been hospitalised with the virus
At risk of outing where i live Kenny lives in the same town as me and they paid for the refurb of the medical day unit at our hospital. Wonder if he’s stayed with us or gone to a Liverpool hospital. Wishing him all the best.

Reactions: 9

yeah, no thanks.
would anyone opt in?!
Is that not the system the Chinese have been using ? I think they said the data is flawed so was useless ...and no I wouldn't

Reactions: 1
So I caught up on the thread previous, am I right in thinking that with our numbers for deaths - these numbers are being widely interpreted by News as the last 24hrs when actually they might not have been the last 24hrs?

Reactions: 4
She’s being paid for the extra placement - Band 3, £1/hour more than minimum wage, the same wage she gets for working as a HCA which is less responsibility and more flexible. Apparently the fact they’re actually being paid is the justification 🤷‍♀️
I’ve seen a lot of doctors who graduated early last Wednesday and went straight onto wards on Thursday.

i can’t imagine what the impact on their mental health will be.

• Sad
I’ve seen a lot of doctors who graduated early last Wednesday and went straight onto wards on Thursday.

They’re going to have to plough some serious funding into mental health support for NHS staff after this!

@Jg182 I'm replying to your furlough question on the other thread. As far as I understand it - furlough is simply that work has paused for now and you cannot work for that company until whatever end date they specify. No annual leave will be granted or accrued, and to this effect, no time will be owed or due. You will get 80% of your wages as specified by the government, and your employer will apply for that via HRMC, and pay you on your due pay date. (or pay you anyway, and apply afterwards, depending on the queue and how much money they have in the bank!)

@grumpycat - Try the chocolate caramel digestives. You will not regret it - although you will regret the weight they pile on. The one and only packet I bought is now being transformed into making my curves just a little bit curvier! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 7

And it’s just expected of them, the same as it’s just expected of teachers (not the same stress I appreciate) we are all in it together but some people have got it far worse than others and yes they’re mental health will suffer. I know it’s different but I messed up loads in my first year of teaching and that was under normal circumstances not this sort pressure. These poor doctors and nurses who’ve just trained and literally thrown into it!

Reactions: 9
@Jg182 I'm replying to your furlough question on the other thread. As far as I understand it - furlough is simply that work has paused for now and you cannot work for that company until whatever end date they specify. No annual leave will be granted or accrued, and to this effect, no time will be owed or due. You will get 80% of your wages as specified by the government, and your employer will apply for that via HRMC, and pay you on your due pay date. (or pay you anyway, and apply afterwards, depending on the queue and how much money they have in the bank!)

@grumpycat - Try the chocolate caramel digestives. You will not regret it - although you will regret the weight they pile on. The one and only packet I bought is now being transformed into making my curves just a little bit curvier! :rolleyes:
Have you tried the Digestives chocolate filled thins? delicious. 😋 :love:

Reactions: 3
At risk of outing where i live Kenny lives in the same town as me and they paid for the refurb of the medical day unit at our hospital. Wonder if he’s stayed with us or gone to a Liverpool hospital. Wishing him all the best.
As someone has already said he has no symptoms, he was in for another reason but has tested positive but is due home shortly.So it looks like he's OK.

Reactions: 5
And it’s just expected of them, the same as it’s just expected of teachers (not the same stress I appreciate) we are all in it together but some people have got it far worse than others and yes they’re mental health will suffer. I know it’s different but I messed up loads in my first year of teaching and that was under normal circumstances not this sort pressure. These poor doctors and nurses who’ve just trained and literally thrown into it!
I can imagine we might lose some of these new ones due to the horrendous situation......not by getting the virus, but simply the hell of it all.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.