Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m not surprised the police are confused even some of us normal folk (not that police aren’t normal lol) can’t seem to get our heads round it. Basically it’s fine to buy random tat whilst doing your usual weekly shop. If the shop sells it they can’t really stop you. It’s not fine to go out for the sake of buying random on top of doing your normal weekly shop. But then it gets even more confusing with shops that aren’t food shops being open, encouraging people to make unnecessary journeys. Where does the buck stop?

Thoughts on chip shops? I assumed they were all close apart from a few who went onto the delivery apps and were doing delivery only. But one of my local ones which is also really popular has a queue of people (doing social distancing 2m apart) going down the street!

Not sure how I feel about it, on the one hand I wanna go down there and get some chips for myself🤣 on the other hand it seems a bit irresponsible of the owners, but if they’re doing social distancing properly then is it really doing any harm? Such a tough one, got a sanctimonious idiot going off on one on the local residents page as a result lol.

Regarding death tolls, after hearing it’s not literally people who have died today I’ve kinda lost interest. I don’t mean that in an insensitive way, of course people ARE dying but I feel we are not being told the numbers in an accurate way so I’m choosing to pay less attention to the daily toll at least, from now on.

Reactions: 7
One minute I feel like I'm dealing with all of this just fine then the next it feels like a surreal nightmare.
I kept a close eye on the daily figures of deaths at first but then once you hear that they're an amalgamation of yesterday's and last few week's it's hard to see the wood from the trees. The numbers are so high that it's easy to lose perspective but those feeling guilty for having nice days in the midst of all this, remember there's nothing you can do to prevent any of this other than doing your bit and adhering to guidelines.
As a teacher and head of department of a core subject in a school that's currently closed due to lack of need for key workers, I feel redundant and at the same time worried about ensuring Y11 and Y13 get fair grades. My son was due to resit 2 A levels and is now in limbo without an institute willing to provide him with predicted grades.
I miss my parents who live 200 miles away up north and who I should have been catching a train to see today to spend Easter with.
I was supposed to be getting married this August in a very low key ceremony with closest family and no idea if this can happen.
At same time am able to spend more time than ever with my partner and my son, read,eat (and drink) a fair amount so have lots to be grateful for. Sorry for essay, just wanted to unload!
I’m on a parents Uni group and obviously there was a lot of talk about 6th formers not being able to sit A Levels so schools would use mocks and predicted grades and many universities were now giving unconditional offers. It never even crossed my mind about those who were due to resit. Surely they must have something in place for them too? It’s so unfair on him.
I hope you still get your wedding in August x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It’s definitely starting to take a toll on my mental health now. I was ok for a couple of weeks, but this week has been tit. I dumped a post on the support thread which has helped me get it out my system a bit (super grateful for the replies from people who I see also post here so thank you).

I thought duck it and ordered the kids a pool for the garden. It will probably be tit weather by the time it arrives but it should last longer than the crappy blow up paddling pools we’ve gone through over the years so I’m telling myself it’s an ‘investment’.

Also ordered a new mattress(in a box) as it was very much needed and I figured maybe having a better sleep and not waking up with a sore neck and back every day will help with my partners mood and also my mood.

Not ‘essentials’ but the companies are still operating so🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s given me the tiniest amount of joy.
I don't see the harm in buying stuff if it makes this situation a bit more bearable ,even death row inmates are allowed a treat every now and then ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Not sure how I feel about it, on the one hand I wanna go down there and get some chips for myself🤣 on the other hand it seems a bit irresponsible of the owners, but if they’re doing social distancing properly then is it really doing any harm? Such a tough one, got a sanctimonious idiot going off on one on the local residents page as a result lol.
I kind of feel like it shouldn’t be allowed because social distancing isn’t perfect, it was on the news the other day that it’s now thought the virus can travel quite far (through coughing). Obviously buying food and getting medicine are essential so social distancing is the best we can do in those scenarios. Also if we’re not supposed to be going to the shop to buy a chocolate bar just because we fancy one, surely buying chips is the same thing?

I live by the seaside so a lot of people get chips to eat outside which is apparently a no-no as well

I don’t feel passionately about it but I can see why some think it shouldn’t be allowed

Reactions: 4
What I mean is the people who are going to die are going to die anyway. This is a fact. The governments should have invested and opened up nightingale hospitals to treat the Covid-19 patients way before they have and allowed the hospitals and life in general to carry on as normal. This tanking of the economy and loss of jobs was not the right move here.

Governments are afraid of death, if the citizens die then they will be blamed but these people will die anyway. That is what I was told when I had it. They can't treat you and it is survival of the fittest, basically.
Are you a qualified expert in this field? Or an armchair one?

Reactions: 6
I kind of feel like it shouldn’t be allowed because social distancing isn’t perfect, it was on the news the other day that it’s now thought the virus can travel quite far (through coughing). Obviously buying food and getting medicine are essential so social distancing is the best we can do in those scenarios. Also if we’re not supposed to be going to the shop to buy a chocolate bar just because we fancy one, surely buying chips is the same thing?

I live by the seaside so a lot of people get chips to eat outside which is apparently a no-no as well

I don’t feel passionately about it but I can see why some think it shouldn’t be allowed
I’m with you if I’m honest. It did make me feel uncomfortable seeing the photo of the queue and like it shouldn’t be happening.

I feel like they should adapt their business like others have and maybe do home delivery if they really need to be operating. Bit selfish of them? Because other chippies have closed for safety yet they’re carrying on and obviously if they’re open people will go. But then they’re a small business and I feel bad slagging off a small local business lol.

Maybe the sanctimonious idiot on my local page has a point🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just checking in for a bit to see how everyone is. I had a "news-free-Friday" today, and oh my gosh it totally reset my mood (as in I stayed stable all day, ha!). I made art, tidied up, sorted my plants "Leon" style, and just wanted to say happy easter to everyone. 😊 I haven't got an egg tho...I do have some chocolate caramel digestives that I have been saving.
caramel digestives whatttt 👀👀
No eggs broken here we managed to get some of those cheap ones you buy without a box 😂 everyone knows about my husbands penchant for buying as many malteaser bunnies as he can fit so we have a warren of those to tuck into 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m not surprised the police are confused even some of us normal folk (not that police aren’t normal lol) can’t seem to get our heads round it. Basically it’s fine to buy random tat whilst doing your usual weekly shop. If the shop sells it they can’t really stop you. It’s not fine to go out for the sake of buying random on top of doing your normal weekly shop. But then it gets even more confusing with shops that aren’t food shops being open, encouraging people to make unnecessary journeys. Where does the buck stop?

Thoughts on chip shops? I assumed they were all close apart from a few who went onto the delivery apps and were doing delivery only. But one of my local ones which is also really popular has a queue of people (doing social distancing 2m apart) going down the street!

Regarding death tolls, after hearing it’s not literally people who have died today I’ve kinda lost interest. I don’t mean that in an insensitive way, of course people ARE dying but I feel we are not being told the numbers in an accurate way so I’m choosing to pay less attention to the daily toll at least, from now on.
The chip shop shouldn’t be open like that. Cafes, bars and restaurants have all had to close.
Our local chip shops are doing pay online and delivery only.

fish and chips is not an essential. Yes it’s nice to have the option and I’m not saying they shouldn’t keep running ( I’ve had a couple of takeaways in lockdown) but they should be adapting their business model to fit the rules

Reactions: 4
anyone else in this time of being off work, realise how much they actually hated their job and how badly your treated at the job!

Reactions: 3
The chip shop shouldn’t be open like that. Cafes, bars and restaurants have all had to close.
Our local chip shops are doing pay online and delivery only.

fish and chips is not an essential. Yes it’s nice to have the option and I’m not saying they shouldn’t keep running ( I’ve had a couple of takeaways in lockdown) but they should be adapting their business model to fit the rules
Agree. Especially the point about cafes and restaurants.

Should they be reported and to who? I don’t want them to close, but a queue down the street surely isn’t right given the circumstances. Other chip shops in the area have gone onto Uber Eats and the like. Don’t see why they can’t do that or set their own delivery service up.

Reactions: 1
anyone else in this time of being off work, realise how much they actually hated their job and how badly your treated at the job!
Yes! But I knew that anyway, and was looking for another one when the lockdown happened. I'm furloughed until the end of May though, so there's that :)

Reactions: 1
Very well said.

Some of us don’t have large families and so those close to us mean the world. Why should we risk losing them? not everyone gets off lightly with this virus. I’m going to have to start ignoring some comments and scroll past 🙄
Yes exactly! My family is limited to 5 people and it would likely kill 3 of them if not them all and none of them would be classed as a priority against another person if they get it due to age/health(neither would I for that matter but at least I have age and health on my side) why should they be risked just because some people are bored and want things back to normal?

As it is if my partner gets it he's probably going to die and he's only 29! But then some people clearly only care about themselves, they don't see other people just their own wants 🙄

Some people are clearly idiotic at best and downright cruel and sick at worst. I think I will take your advice and scroll by in future. Things are hard enough right now without giving idiots the attention they obviously crave.

I hope that you're well and that your family are safe ❤ same goes for all you other wonderful people on this thread

Reactions: 9
Yes! But I knew that anyway, and was looking for another one when the lockdown happened. I'm furloughed until the end of May though, so there's that :)
I swore last summer was the last one I did in my job. I was planning on leaving before all this. Iv been furloughed too til end of May. Do you know how it works at all. Can you leave after the furlough period or would you owe them any back? I’m 0 hours so technically have no notice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.