Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SkankHunt42

So I genuinely have a degree that included virology modules, I and friends all work in NHS/labs (you guys have no way of knowing if this is true obviously)
I posted several links that showed the person that gave the advice is an expert.

Lifeinmyeyes88

Health wise it isn't a big issue yet but it is more worrying than the normal flu as it's new so no immunity, high risk people haven't had the jab and its far more life threatening, so it can't be ruled out as media scaremongering. The economic impacts are the real issue at the moment as holidays aren't booked, people stay at home and the supply chain is so intertwined with globalism.

It makes it look like all of Venice and Milan have been killed off!! :LOL:

View attachment 91101
Ah so it’s more so that the most at risk people haven’t been vaccinated rather than it being worse?
I didn’t look at the rest of the world just the uk! I maybe should have! Lol

freddiesmum09

I’ll have to take your word for it. The people I know people with lupus and lung disease have never self-isolated, let alone for months at a time.
I think a lot don’t. Like a lot don’t take up the flu jab. People do/don’t take diff precautions that they feel are right for them.

SkankHunt42

Lots of hospitals are holding lectures for staff on Coronavirus and the overwhelming message is we don’t know so much...
We don't know much about this one. But the guy that wrote the advice was writing the definitions of what a coronavirus is back in the 70s.

I think SD will be OK. I think it is the airport that is the biggest risk. SD is one of my fav cities ever, you're in for a treat. Make sure you go to Coronado Island and get ice cream from Moo Creamery, grab a cocktail from the beach bar at Hotel Del Coronado and watch the navy jets fly overhead. And go to Brockton Villa in La Jolla for brunch. Then take a walk and look at the tide pools. Also really recommend Herb and Eatery for brunch in SD as well as Cafe 222. For dinner, check out Cafe Coyote in Old Town, King and Queen Cantina, and The Farmers Table in Little Italy. We go at least once a yr as it's only a 3 hr flight from us. Make sure you have good health insurance and read the small print. Enjoy!

Thank you!! I can't wait and yeh am prepared for the airports :) I last went to SD in 2006 so its been ages and I can't wait to get some sun tbh! Thanks for your recommendations, I am making a note of them now!!

As for health insurance - I have no idea whats good/bad - it covers for me for up to £20 million - that seems a good price ha!

Yel

Chatty Member
And ginger! Anyone heard of rubbing it on your hands will kill the virus? Just my wierd town?
Interesting! I do like ginger tea when I've got a cold. It's a spice that's said to be anti inflammatory and all that. Maybe some viral Facebook video.

Anything else odd that people are buying?

Influenced

Chatty Member
I agree but it would have been good news if the measures in the north were shown to be working, this is not the case.

Please read this article from a professor of pathology at UC San Diego.
It’s a list of the kinds of precautions you should take to avoid becoming infected by the coronavirus.
It would be wise to share this with your friends and family.

Dear Colleagues,

As some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s).

I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained.

Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take.

These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas. Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land on are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! JimJames Robb, MD FCAP
Living for a week on surfaces is bullshit surely. No virus does that.

Mustard

VIP Member
We have one confirmed case in our county, toilet roll, hand soap, bars of soap, child and adult paracetemol and ibuprofen and pasta shelves were empty in our massive asda this morning.
Manager was in the hand soap aisle (i was there to get shower gel, of which there was plenty, guess people really dont wash their legs 🤯) and he told me a woman came in the day before and bought 19 packets of 12 toilet rolls 😑
I totally get people stocking up but unless your backside is the size of the titanic then you don't need 228 toilet rolls!
I think it would be fine to dilute shower gel and put it in a pump dispenser.

BlahBlahSheep

I think a lot don’t. Like a lot don’t take up the flu jab. People do/don’t take diff precautions that they feel are right for them.
But self-isolating means staying in one room of your house with no contact with your family in the rest of it. I’m not surprised people don’t do it - people work...

liarliarliar

Did an online order on Tuesday and got my usual loo roll, hand soap, paracetamol. Went in today and loo roll shelves were completely cleared, paracetamol shelves empty, hand soap shelves empty, anti bac wipes were all gone. A member of staff was putting a few hand soaps out and people were waiting to grab them 😞

Fairypop

VIP Member
This is worrying me! I obviously don’t know how feeding is going to go for us but I wanted to wait and see. I’m going to have to get it all now before he’s even born because I can’t not be able to feed him. So formula, bottles and breast pump it is!!!!
Ah what a position to be in 😩 hopefully you’ll be able to feed baby yourself! It’s worrying though isn’t it? Even if you stock up on formula, there’s always a chance it wouldn’t agree with your little one.

I’m in Kent, only one case confirmed here and it’s miles away from me 🙄 I just want one bloody tub 😂. Will try some smaller stores like you’ve suggested, thank you! The only problem I’ve found with some of the smaller stores is that they’re still selling old formula - some brands have had new formulas come out over the past couple of weeks, we’ve just transitioned our little one onto the new formula so don’t really want to buy the old one! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Lifeinmyeyes88

Italy has had 30 deaths today, that's three times more deaths than they would get a day at this time of the year from the standard flu and they've only got 2500 corona cases, up 500 today. The rest of europe could only be two weeks behind this and it's only set to get worse in italy. Let the stats speak for themsevels. It's rapidly coming a terrible situation.
Let’s hope it doesn’t. We can’t compare us to Italy as it would be like comparing China to the rest of the world

Notothefakes

VIP Member
So I just went to the supermarket and there was no hand soap, no toilet roll.

Are people that selfish they are clearing the shelves?

Supermarkets should ban people over buying, they are a supermarket not a wholesalers.

When I eventually find loo roll I will buy 1pack extra (as we have two in our household with ulcerative colitis) so we need loo roll and hand wash and cannot run out. Like a previous poster mentioned, a bottle of hand wash does last.

Rant over, off to look for loo roll.
I haven’t cleared any shelves 😂 I have one extra pack of loo roll (it is a 24 pack) more. Try the little corner shops. Our local ones seem to be ok. That’s where I got my hand gel from.