Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just seen this on Facebook. Is there any truth to it? Just in case people aren’t aware, DNR stands for ‘do not resuscitate’ and these orders are used in hospitals in instances where your heart or breathing stop. If you have signed a DNR they do not have to assist you.

It just seems so awful to me that they would be sending these letters and especially at a time where people with these conditions would be feeling isolated and vulnerable anyway. I’m hoping that this is fake news because it’s a horrible prospect.

View attachment 104111
I don't believe that. However, it is true that before all this families do get advised by Dr's to sign DNR's if they have life limiting illnesses but it is up to the family members to decide. Sometimes it's also because they would be too weak to survive any intervention so in that case, it is a waste of NHS resources.

Reactions: 4
Depends which of those two categories you fall into I guess. Selfishly, and as a healthy 40 yr old...it doesn’t feel so awful to me 😐
My husband was once a healthy 40 year old.
He is now a 50 year old with heart disease.
Perhaps you would think differently if it were closer to home. 🥺

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
We need a stricter lockdown and we need it now. We've had families sat on the greenbelt outside of our house today having picnics and mixing with others. It's been absolutely crazy. They have since been moved on but it's not the point is it? People aren't listening to this soft lockdown

I'm 36 with leukaemia and a bone marrow failure disease. I'm not willing to sign any DNR. I've got a life worth fighting for
Completely agree! I’ve just walked the dog over the fields by my house and the amount of cars parked up on the country road was staggering, there were families having picnics in one field too 😡Before this happened I never saw a soul on my walk, even in good weather. Epping Forest is rammed apparently and the Police have had to go there to turn cars away from trying to park on the roads, a local park has had families playing Cricket in it today and a friend posted pictures of people having a picnic on green space outside her house 😡

The Covidiots are out in force today.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I feel like any loss of life is terrible. A healthy life is not worth more than someone’s life who has an underlying condition. For a person to know that the BMA are viewing their life as “lesser than” makes this time even more scary for them because they are given the impression that if they were to contract the virus that they won’t be cared for in the same way from the outset.

It’s kind of upsetting to me that you would respond in this way and say that it’s not awful, but I understand that we all have our own opinions. Maybe I am more sensitive to the issue because my Mum has a heart issue.
You're right, it's a horrible decision for a medical professional to have to make, and crappy for anyone with an underlying condition 😞

Reactions: 5
I have just seen this on Facebook. Is there any truth to it? Just in case people aren’t aware, DNR stands for ‘do not resuscitate’ and these orders are used in hospitals in instances where your heart or breathing stop. If you have signed a DNR they do not have to assist you.

It just seems so awful to me that they would be sending these letters and especially at a time where people with these conditions would be feeling isolated and vulnerable anyway. I’m hoping that this is fake news because it’s a horrible prospect.

View attachment 104111
It could be true going by the way some people are being encouraged to stay at home !

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I had to tell husband off as he was delivering food to older work colleague and I said hope you dropped at doorstep and stood 2 metres away to chat.
No I went in his house briefly I dident touch anything and stood a distance away.
I was like ahh but he's sorry.
Whatever don't get is neighbours on 1 hand they wear masks and spray their bikes and door and look like they taking precautions.
On other hand they have bbq in their garden with their freinds who live opposite.

Reactions: 2
You're right, it's a horrible decision for a medical professional to have to make, and crappy for anyone with an underlying condition 😞
Equally though I can see why you feel/felt the way that you did about this policy because if we are thinking about it in a “utilitarianism” kind of sense, then this policy (if it is indeed policy) is designed to save the most lives possible with the limited resources that we have.

It’s just really upsetting that we are having to see it in black and white this way and that our healthcare professionals are having to make these choices.

Reactions: 5
Depends which of those two categories you fall into I guess. Selfishly, and as a healthy 40 yr old...it doesn’t feel so awful to me 😐
I can see the logic of wanting to save more people but I find it awful even as a healthy young person myself. These vulnerable people are being asked to sign DNRs BEFORE they’ve even caught the virus. They’re being asked not to seek the medical help that everyone in this country is entitled to. They’re effectively being asked to stay home, suffer and potentially die because they’re judged as too difficult to treat - that’s just by virtue of their condition rather than the individual assessment that other people will receive

Of course it’s a very emotive issue which wouldn’t be such a big deal if the NHS had better resources and funding. I can see both sides. I just feel very uneasy about neglecting the most vulnerable like this

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
My husband was once a healthy 40 year old.
He is now a 50 year old with heart disease.
Perhaps you would think differently if it were closer to home. 🥺
Yes that was my point, sorry if that was unclear.

As someone who is fit and well (and relatively young 😉) I could reasonably expect to be 'prioritised' over someone with an underlying condition and therefore less likely to respond to treatment. That's fantastic for me 🎉🎊, but crappy for the other person 🙁 If I was your husband I'd be upset,scared and pretty pissed off.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 3
I can see the logic of wanting to save more people but I find it awful even as a healthy young person myself. These vulnerable people are being asked to sign DNRs BEFORE they’ve even caught the virus. They’re being asked not to seek the medical help that everyone in this country is entitled to. They’re effectively being asked to stay home, suffer and potentially die because they’re judged as too difficult to treat - that’s just by virtue of their condition rather than the individual assessment that other people will receive

Of course it’s a very emotive issue which wouldn’t be such a big deal if the NHS had better resources and funding. I can see both sides. I just feel very uneasy about neglecting the most vulnerable like this
As you say 'they're being asked'. They are not been forced to sign, so I can't see many people taking up the offer. I would imagine a lot of the older people that are dying each day are possibly those that already had a DNR although one of the people who died yesterday was 95 and had no underlying health conditions :-(

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Tell that to the young mother on this thread who is fighting a cancer diagnosis so she can see her kids grow up ! she has as much right to life as you or I..😒

Reactions: 26
I don’t think it’s a case of being to difficult to treat, it’s a case of not surviving it despite intervention. Thus using a ventilator that could have saved someone.

I’m not saying I agree, but I can see why the advice was given. A doctor on the news last night said we cannot cure you, we can just keep you alive while your body fights the disease.

We are in unpredictable and unpresidented times. Tough calls are going to be made quickly and we are not all going to come out of this well.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
You can make really basic dough with plain flour, yeast if you have it or even natural yoghurt. We make them fairly regularly. The kids think it's a treat. I make an easy tomato sauce but bog standard tomato puree works fine. Add plenty of oregano. I even make "pizza toast" for lunch when I'm feeling particularly lazy. Basically cheese on toast with tomato puree and oregano 😂
I’m trying that pizza on toast 😂😂😂 Thank you 😉

Reactions: 4
Tell that to the young mother on this thread who is fighting a cancer diagnosis so she can see her kids grow up ! she has as much right to life as you or I..😒
Ah you have misunderstood my meaning (or I worded it badly). i have responded separately to the other poster xx

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.