Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Went to pick up my click and collect from Tesco earlier and there was a lot more people out than last week, I actually got stuck in traffic the roads were that busy. I've not seen many people walking past to go to the park I live near, (which is usually very busy) so thought people were listening but obviously not 🤦‍♀️

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
So sad. Medical staff are exposed way more to the virus than the public are too so they'll have to fight it harder.
Found out today that one of the consultants I work with on a regular basis is now covid positive and being ventilated. ☹

It’s all so surreal. I remember back in February in ED when we were testing based on foreign travel and a panicked public and there was an abundance (it seemed) of PPE and complete complacency that of course this patient or that didn’t have Covid (and they didn’t).

And then we got our first covid positive and there was just trepidation in how to approach the patient and manage them. They were stable and manageable but back then just the word was enough to scare us.

And then the first “young” patient in respiratory distress. I remember looking through his lung imaging of bilateral pneumonia with mouth and eyes wide open 😮 I’d never seen lungs that looked as bad as that.

Now ‘CQ’ (maybe covid) and ‘CP’ (confirmed covid) are everyday, every hour terms. Could this be Covid? is asked for almost every patient. There’s daily debate over PPE, what type is safe, when it should be worn and a realistic concern it will run out. But our hospital has more free beds than it ever has done. Specialty teams are pulling together like never before. And we can be confident that for now at least patients are getting the best care possible. It’s the calm before the storm.

And then the news a colleague has succumbed. Now I’m just sat here with my fingers crossed for everyone in this horrible situation and hoping with all my might we can get through the coming storm of the next few months. Really reminded of the post I read on social media from an Italian doctor at the start of all this:

Dr Daniele Macchini's post (ICU doctor, Bergamo Italy)

I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.
"The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.
"The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to debrief to an anonymous friend after a bad day.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
wish I could. I have no transport and the big Asda is a bus ride away which right now seems like unnecessary travel. Can’t get an online slot either. The only big supermarket in walking distance is Morrison 😞 I cant understand why this isn’t being talked about more in general? Surely it’s making things worse for those struggling with money. Everything is limited now anyway so having offers on wouldn’t really make a difference. Sorry to rant I’m just getting more and more frustrated with this.
Have you tried to get a delivery slot with Iceland? Keep checking every 10 mins or so from about 10am. I got one for my parents doing this

Reactions: 4
Found out today that one of the consultants I work with on a regular basis is now covid positive and being ventilated. ☹

It’s all so surreal. I remember back in February in ED when we were testing based on foreign travel and a panicked public and there was an abundance (it seemed) of PPE and complete complacency that of course this patient or that didn’t have Covid (and they didn’t).

And then we got our first covid positive and there was just trepidation in how to approach the patient and manage them. They were stable and manageable but back then just the word was enough to scare us.

And then the first “young” patient in respiratory distress. I remember looking through his lung imaging of bilateral pneumonia with mouth and eyes wide open 😮 I’d never seen lungs that looked as bad as that.

Now ‘CQ’ (maybe covid) and ‘CP’ (confirmed covid) are everyday, every hour terms. Could this be Covid? is asked for almost every patient. There’s daily debate over PPE, what type is safe, when it should be worn and a realistic concern it will run out. But our hospital has more free beds than it ever has done. Specialty teams are pulling together like never before. And we can be confident that for now at least patients are getting the best care possible. It’s the calm before the storm.

And then the news a colleague has succumbed. Now I’m just sat here with my fingers crossed for everyone in this horrible situation and hoping with all my might we can get through the coming storm of the next few months. Really reminded of the post I read on social media from an Italian doctor at the start of all this:

Dr Daniele Macchini's post (ICU doctor, Bergamo Italy)

I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.
"The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.
"The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to debrief to an anonymous friend after a bad day.
we’re all here for you. A socially distanced, and internet hug for you. ❤
I can’t comprehend the weight you must feel and the things you must see

please know we are all, so very grateful for the work you have done and will continue to do.
you and your colleagues are amazing heroes. without you we are nothing.
Each day that passes we are closer to the end than the start ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Have you tried to get a delivery slot with Iceland? Keep checking every 10 mins or so from about 10am. I got one for my parents doing this
they are only delivering to elderly and vulnerable. You have to check a box to say you are one of these which I am not. Thanks though 😞

Reactions: 3
they are only delivering to elderly and vulnerable. You have to check a box to say you are one of these which I am not. Thanks though 😞
Ah sorry, what about a local support group on Facebook? Maybe if you could do a click and collect someone could get it for you?

It's so hard isn't it, when you still have a husband going out to work- mine too and it just fills me with dread 😕
Honestly I’m a complete control freak normally so this is throwing me out of my comfort zone. I’m craving some sort of normality, I’m scared of what will happen to my kids if me and my husband get it, and are hospitalised, I’m terrified of them getting it and me not being able to see them, I have honestly cried every day for at least 2 weeks. There’s no end in sight and I’m scared!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
This won't happen as teachers have been working or working through easter holidays and for most cases schools are still open for key worker children so cant see them cutting summer holidays as not only would it mess with next years school year and start/end dates but also exam seasons, more workload for teachers as more work for kids would be needed etc. Also, the teachers/dinner ladies/cleaners all going in as normal will need a break after all this chaos.
I get it. Like I said I think it will be September anyway given the way things are looking. At least by the summer we should be able to get out properly a bit more so it may not be as bad.

Reactions: 1
The part where they were talking about people dying alone and without family and how NHS staff were keeping phones charged etc had be bawling!
Yeah I felt quite emotional about it when the nurse was speaking about the two nhs workers that have died it's just bloody horrendous 😪 still trying not to get upset now I think this is probably one of the worst days for the country 😔

Reactions: 3
I am having a day in my pjs today. Yesterday I got dressed properly and did a full face of makeup. Today it's snowing and - 20, least we are not missing out on nice weather. Haha. In a weird way I feel like the days are going by fast? Anyone else?

Reactions: 13
Awfully sad news conference with the emotional tribute to our so very brave NHS staff who have lost their lives. 😭 Things are so much worse than we could ever have imagined with no end in sight.
Also concerned where Dr Chris Whitty is and why no one has asked the question!
Re chris whitty yeah I've had this conversation with my mum this afternoon we are quite concerned about him I genuinely hope hes ok I wish they'd do an update or like you said why has no one asked a question about him 🙉 it's been 6 days since he confirmed on Twitter he was showing symptoms

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Honestly I’m a complete control freak normally so this is throwing me out of my comfort zone. I’m craving some sort of normality, I’m scared of what will happen to my kids if me and my husband get it, and are hospitalised, I’m terrified of them getting it and me not being able to see them, I have honestly cried every day for at least 2 weeks. There’s no end in sight and I’m scared!
I know- it's so hard to comprehend and our minds are flooded with all the 'What Ifs' not helpful thinking but hard to avoid with so much uncertainty.

Reactions: 1
Is it just me or does he look really rough pretending he’s doing just fine during being ill?
You never know with Boris this is a man who intentionally goes out and speaks publicly with his hair unbrushed :ROFLMAO:
Has anyone else noticed the supermarkets don’t seem to be running as many offers right now? There’s things I always buy that are half price or whatever in at least one of the supermarkets each week on rotation but I seem to be seeing most things are full price right now. ???
I know some supermarkets have stopped their multibuy offers. Asda haven’t though as far as I’m aware. I think it was to stop people buying up all the stock? Does make life difficult though if you rely on the offers.

Iv just seen on my Facebook, someone planning a street bbq for Sunday!!! Surely there’s no way they can do this safety, with kids mixing!!
I get people want to have that community spirit right now but it’s really not the time for that. We have social media these days which whilst not the same as proper face to face interaction is a lot better than what we would have had even 20 years ago had this happened then.

Actually couldn’t imagine going through this without social media and the internet in general. Crazy to think people did though throughout history.

Had a food delivery today, left boxes out for them to put the shopping in. Was very odd waiting for them to leave before collecting it from the doorstep. Gave the driver a wave as he drove off. Only essential im missing is tinned tomatoes. And I’m not impressed at my sub of salt and vinegar crisps instead of smoky bacon and not getting the kids Easter eggs upset me slightly. But other than that I’m happy to have the cupboards and fridge/freezer full again.

Reactions: 6
There was a tweet a few hours ago from Chris Witty’s Twitter but could have been done by anyone, I hope he’s ok.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.