Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t personally wear the ones that form a seal, just the fabric ones which leave a fair few gaps. I thought only medical ones you had to be measured for were sealed.
When I say sealed I don't mean airtight just held close to the face.

BIB That shows how pointless they are though.

I don’t personally wear the ones that form a seal, just the fabric ones which leave a fair few gaps. I thought only medical ones you had to be measured for were sealed.
If they aren’t sealed then surely they aren’t anywhere near as effective? If they’re leaving a fair few gaps how effective are they?

I’m a compliant person and generally do as I’m told. I wore a mask all the time. Had to with my work. It used to give me a sore throat.

I rarely wear one now. Wore them when I was in hospital on a couple of occasions with the kids, but I wouldn’t wear one given the choice.

Reactions: 3
If they aren’t sealed then surely they aren’t anywhere near as effective? If they’re leaving a fair few gaps how effective are they?
I don’t know but I just wear the fabric ones and I would say they let air in.

The way I wear masks (when I occasionally do) probably isn’t the way they want you to though - it’s whatever mask I have on me. I don’t think the way the general population wear masks is very effective for stopping any spread of disease but in the same vein, I don’t think it does us any harm.

(other than sucking the fun out of things and ruining my makeup)

• Sad
Reactions: 2
You don't wash the medical ones they're single use.

Close contact and a sealed face cover are very different.
You shouldn't be washing the sealed face cover ones in with your normal laundry. Sealed face ones are disposable single use or the ones with consumable filters both of which will be fine.

Another non-issue.

(other than sucking the fun out of things and ruining my makeup)
This!

Although quite liked having to wear one doing the school run a) never had to worry about my face and b) kept me warm like a little balaclava

• Haha
Reactions: 5

You shouldn't be washing the sealed face cover ones in with your normal laundry. Sealed face ones are disposable single use or the ones with consumable filters both of which will be fine.

Another non-issue.
I think the issue is that many people don’t wear them correctly or look after them correctly so they don’t have the desired effect.

Reactions: 1
I think the issue is that many people don’t wear them correctly or look after them correctly so they don’t have the desired effect.
Yes I agree that's the issue. People simply do not know how to use PPE. Put on disposable gloves then wear them all day whilst touching their face etc.

Crying wolf about how the chemicals you wash them in is going to give you cancer etc. is just another load of misinformation thrown onto the fire though.

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Another non-issue.
We are talking about washable face covers. They are pretty damn useless and could well be dangerous only time will tell on that score

I don’t mean the little disposable blue ones, I mean the ones that form a seal on your face that you get measured for - people who worked on covid wards used to come on the thread and tell us about waiting for them back in the beginning of all this they have a specific name with numbers in it. Do they just get thrown away even though they are bespoke to you?

Obvs the little blue ones don’t form a seal, I actually find they leave more gaps are they are stiffer than the fabric ones, though they probably block more going through them.

I don’t mean the little disposable blue ones, I mean the ones that form a seal on your face that you get measured for - people who worked on covid wards used to come on the thread and tell us about waiting for them back in the beginning of all this they have a specific name with numbers in it. Do they just get thrown away even though they are bespoke to you?

Obvs the little blue ones don’t form a seal, I actually find they leave more gaps are they are stiffer than the fabric ones, though they probably block more going through them.
My apologies, don't know what you mean, do you have a link to them?

We are talking about washable face covers. They are pretty damn useless and could well be dangerous only time will tell on that score
What kind?

Yes I agree that's the issue. People simply do not know how to use PPE. Put on disposable gloves then wear them all day whilst touching their face etc.

Crying wolf about how the chemicals you wash them in is going to give you cancer etc. is just another load of misinformation thrown onto the fire though.
It’s not misinformation. Many laundry detergents and other household cleaning products, make up, air freshener - loads of everyday products have carcinogens. That’s recognised by many reputable sources even the cancer charities mention it on their websites.

Here’s just one example:

My apologies, don't know what you mean, do you have a link to them?

What kind?
What? Washable ones. there is only one kind isn't there? You don't wash disposable ones. Maybe scroll back and follow the conversation as it's looking like you are reading the posts as stand-alone posts and they are not...

It’s not misinformation. Many laundry detergents and other household cleaning products, make up, air freshener - loads of everyday products have carcinogens. That’s recognised by many reputable sources even the cancer charities mention it on their websites.

Here’s just one example:

Then there are the fabrics themselves and what they are treated with. Double toxic for half the price

Reactions: 3
What? Washable ones. there is only one kind isn't there? You don't wash disposable ones. Maybe scroll back and follow the conversation as it's looking like you are reading the posts as stand-alone posts and they are not...

Then there are the fabrics themselves and what they are treated with. Double toxic for half the price

I am reading don't you worry yourself about that. However there was lack of specificity as I did not know whethere people. That's the nature of forum based discussion and potentially addressing several peoples posts at the same time.

I find it difficult for you to start bringing up the materials of masks (which could be made of anything from an organic 100% cotton hand made by a family member to something more like neoprene.

If it worries people, they can source whatever fabric they like? I'm sure there is a market for it and no one is being forced to use a carcinogenic fabric conditioner + carcinogenic fabric for their face mask if they choose to use one.

Here’s just one example:
Literally anything is a carcinogen in enough quantities. Oxygen is. Why are you scare mongering? Like I understand it's worrying but I would like to know why face masks are suddenly a problem for this kind of thinking and not bed sheets, scarves, face towels, curtains etc. as mentioned in your article?

I am reading don't you worry yourself about that. However there was lack of specificity as I did not know whethere people. That's the nature of forum based discussion and potentially addressing several peoples posts at the same time.

I find it difficult for you to start bringing up the materials of masks (which could be made of anything from an organic 100% cotton hand made by a family member to something more like neoprene.

If it worries people, they can source whatever fabric they like? I'm sure there is a market for it and no one is being forced to use a carcinogenic fabric conditioner + carcinogenic fabric for their face mask if they choose to use one.

Literally anything is a carcinogen in enough quantities. Oxygen is. Why are you scare mongering? Like I understand it's worrying but I would like to know why face masks are suddenly a problem for this kind of thinking and not bed sheets, scarves, face towels, curtains etc. as mentioned in your article?
How can it worry people when most don't know? You belive cotton to be fine others know it isn't. not so bad (still not good though) when used in things other than masks that you are breathing through

" Conventional cotton is grown with genetically modified seeds and sprayed heavily with Roundup (in which the primary ingredient is glyphosate, linked to cancer) and other toxic pesticides—and these persist in the fabric even after manufacturing"

Goop is a load of unscientific ideological hippie nonsense so that Gwyneth Paltrow can sell overpriced products.

Isn’t Goop what Gwyneth Paltrow set up? It has been in the headlines a few times for making false and misleading claims.

View attachment 881119

It was just the first link ,there are 1000s of others.

How am I scaremongering? This is a thread about covid why would bedsheets be relevant?

How can it worry people when most don't know? You belive cotton to be fine others know it isn't. not so bad (still not good though) when used in things other than masks that you are breathing through

" Conventional cotton is grown with genetically modified seeds and sprayed heavily with Roundup (in which the primary ingredient is glyphosate, linked to cancer) and other toxic pesticides—and these persist in the fabric even after manufacturing"
As I've said before I can do my own lifting I don't need Goop to tell me what's fine and what's not - I have a masters degree in a science discipline biochemistry/chemistry, have worked for 5+ years in the pharma industry and work with FDA and MHRA on a monthly basis as well as complete COSHH assessments every day and working to various ISO and ICH + more standards day-to-day. I would genuinely wager I know far more about risk assessment, leachables + extractables and the danger of these things than you do, backed up by this kind of thing being my life and career.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.