Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #101

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not true.
We’ve never cared about asymptotic viral illnesses before so why should we care now?!

it’s good to allow viral illnesses to spread it helps build up your immune system, a hospital in have put out a statement in Northern Ireland saying how many respiratory bugs are circulating because people haven’t had the opportunity to get sick anymore because of the sanitisation and inability to be around germs anymore.

Reactions: 4
Would you be able to share a few examples? I've seen you refer to these images quite a few times but I'm not sure if I've actually seem them (or if I have I don't remember). I agree it's not unheard of for images to be used inappropriately or taken out of context (by both mainstream and nonmainstream media).
It's here. After the NYT got busted by the Eagle Eye public they retracted the pictures.
Problem is BBC, itv, sky, you name it had already shared it so the damage via propaganda was done

Attachments

Some journalism is very good and does a good job of explaining concepts that can be tricky to understand. Other journalism is sensationalist trash.
It’s probably more a case of if a piece of journalism fits the narrative you believe you’re more likely to read, share and trust it.

Reactions: 1
I think I’ll go with the first hand experience of my sister rather than the papers
I went 3 times, I do not see how anyone could've got in there without a valid NHS Covid Pass, whether someone lied about taking an LFT and put in a fake result would be a different matter but that would be fraudulent so would be on the person that did that not the event.

Reactions: 5
I went 3 times, I do not see how anyone could've got in there without a valid NHS Covid Pass, whether someone lied about taking an LFT and put in a fake result would be a different matter but that would be fraudulent so would be on the person that did that not the event.
They maybe could have said they’re exempt from testing and vaccination. You don’t need evidence to support that.

It's here. After the NYT got busted by the Eagle Eye public they retracted the pictures.
Problem is BBC, itv, sky, you name it had already shared it so the damage via propaganda was done
Thank you. I hadn't seen this. Very irresponsible journalism! I note that 2 days after the NYT article the BBC wrote about this misinformation. I haven't found where the BBC shared the photo themselves (maybe they did and I've missed it or it's been retracted, maybe there's an archive link somewhere?).

It’s probably more a case of if a piece of journalism fits the narrative you believe you’re more likely to read, share and trust it.
I'm sure it's partly this, but not entirely. For example, I am very much pro-vaccination but I don't think all of these articles about unvaccinated individuals who are hospitalised with covid/died from it and now wish they'd been vaccinated are useful at all. What is far more useful are the total numbers of vaccinated vs unvaccinated hospitalisations and deaths, and I wish more emphasis was placed on this.

They maybe could have said they’re exempt from testing and vaccination. You don’t need evidence to support that.
If I remember rightly then the person in question was claiming that nobody was checking at all. They didn't even need to claim that they were exempt, they could just stroll right in.

Reactions: 6
Exempt from testing?? How does that work.

I have heard of people being unable to have the jab. Or being exempt from a mask. But not exempt from testing.

Most tests are personal choice I.e. I am not testing twice weekly like the government would want us to. People don't have to test if they have symptoms if they don't want to. But for an event that is certified as a government test event, where you have to have a vaccine passport or proof of a negative test, I don't understand how an exemption would work.

Wrong pictures on articles happen a lot, though I see the point as to how misinformation can spread.

Looks like the nypost replaced the image with one of someone looking at a yard full of burning funeral pyres, to go with the other pictures on the article of arrays of funeral pyres and relatives in hazmat suits so it's good that incorrect content was fixed but I'm not convinced this made much difference in terms of overall impression and message.

Thank you. I hadn't seen this. Very irresponsible journalism! I note that 2 days after the NYT article the BBC wrote about this misinformation. I haven't found where the BBC shared the photo themselves (maybe they did and I've missed it or it's been retracted, maybe there's an archive link somewhere?).

I'm sure it's partly this, but not entirely. For example, I am very much pro-vaccination but I don't think all of these articles about unvaccinated individuals who are hospitalised with covid/died from it and now wish they'd been vaccinated are useful at all. What is far more useful are the total numbers of vaccinated vs unvaccinated hospitalisations and deaths, and I wish more emphasis was placed on this.
I did say probably a case not entirely a case. I wish they would put out completely transparent data. My 36 year old cousin has never been included as a stat shared publicly far and wide or a media report after he had a rare adverse reaction to his second vaccine giving him heart failure with his heart operating at 15%. He’s now in recovery on meds the rest of his life, all because he took a vaccine to go on holiday. The consultant has confirmed its linked to the vaccine. His case may not be common, but it happened to him. People need to be aware of these risks and maybe then it would help squash conspiracy theories, there’s never any negative press about the vaccine because they want people to take it and that adds to people who don’t want to take its hesitancy because they feel they’re being withheld some information.

If I remember rightly then the person in question was claiming that nobody was checking at all. They didn't even need to claim that they were exempt, they could just stroll right in.
Which would be utter rubbish, at Wimbledon you had to have your covid pass and photo id ready while in the queue and people were going through the queue checking covid passes and then putting a wrist band on once checked. We then got our tickets checked, again with ID and then through to Security to get bags checked, no one was just strolling in. The system was efficient but thorough, a lot of events and venues could learn from the way Wimbledon did things.

Exempt from testing?? How does that work.

I have heard of people being unable to have the jab. Or being exempt from a mask. But not exempt from testing.

Most tests are personal choice I.e. I am not testing twice weekly like the government would want us to. People don't have to test if they have symptoms if they don't want to. But for an event that is certified as a government test event, where you have to have a vaccine passport or proof of a negative test, I don't understand how an exemption would work.
Some people have medical conditions which make them exempt from testing. Few examples would include learning disabilities or autistic individuals, or with a combination of impairments which result in the same distress and also those suffering from or under medical supervision for acute or evolving serious diseases or those receiving palliative care or undergoing treatment with unpleasant side effects. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but yes you can be exempt from testing.

Boris is clearly worried as he knows Rishi will be the next Tory leader. What we wouldn't give for that to be now. A man who wants society more open than it is and to bring back foreign travel so it's far more easier and less of a stress for people with covid still around. Rishi knows more than Boris we have to learn to live with it and get back to true normal.

Some people have medical conditions which make them exempt from testing. Few examples would include learning disabilities or autistic individuals, or with a combination of impairments which result in the same distress and also those suffering from or under medical supervision for acute or evolving serious diseases or those receiving palliative care or undergoing treatment with unpleasant side effects. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but yes you can be exempt from testing.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I had never thought of those situations or heard of test exemptions being a thing. However quite a few of these situations you have listed I would assume wouldn't be going to Wimbledon...

Like others who attended Wimbledon have said, it was near impossible to get in without a covid passport, be it proof of vaccine or negative test. So if there was someone who happened to be test exempt, unable to have the jab but was well enough to sit at Wimbledon all day for the tennis, then I assume they would be in a very very small minority of Wimbledon attendees.

Reactions: 3
I did say probably a case not entirely a case. I wish they would put out completely transparent data. My 36 year old cousin has never been included as a stat shared publicly far and wide or a media report after he had a rare adverse reaction to his second vaccine giving him heart failure with his heart operating at 15%. He’s now in recovery on meds the rest of his life, all because he took a vaccine to go on holiday. The consultant has confirmed its linked to the vaccine. His case may not be common, but it happened to him. People need to be aware of these risks and maybe then it would help squash conspiracy theories, there’s never any negative press about the vaccine because they want people to take it and that adds to people who don’t want to take its hesitancy because they feel they’re being withheld some information.
I agree.

I am very sorry about your cousin. I know his life will never be the same but I wish him well for the future.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I had never thought of those situations or heard of test exemptions being a thing. However quite a few of these situations you have listed I would assume wouldn't be going to Wimbledon...

Like others who attended Wimbledon have said, it was near impossible to get in without a covid passport, be it proof of vaccine or negative test. So if there was someone who happened to be test exempt, unable to have the jab but was well enough to sit at Wimbledon all day for the tennis, then I assume they would be in a very very small minority of Wimbledon attendees.
Someone who is autistic for example and exempt from testing may very well be interested in Wimbledon. Or someone at the end of their life and their favourite thing ever is Wimbledon it would be the one memory they’d make before leaving this earth and who could blame them after 18 months of being locked away 🤷‍♀️

A true test event should be catering for all potential circumstances that arise and that will include people who are exempt from testing. It says on the nhs website that people who are exempt from testing can self certify it and events should be catering them to ensure they comply with the equalities act.

it also states “If your customer confirms that they have a self declared exemption, but is unable to show any evidence, you should allow them access to your venue or event. You must not ask for proof of their medical exemption and it is not essential they show any form of exemption card at any point.”

Reactions: 2

Boris has gone soft with covid. Happy to pander to those who wanted lockdown to continue he kept restrictions far longer than they should have been in place. The same people not wanting places to open back up were asking for hand outs such as furlough continuing and Boris was happy to pander some more. Rishi realises our two trillion debt needs sorting, everywhere needs to be open without restrictions to pay it off and people wanting free cash need to be told no as we don't have the money. He would put a stop to all the expensive plans Boris has that we don't need like a new ship and decimating the countryside for faster train travel. How much better that cash would be in the NHS.

Also you'd still be asked. If you then say that you, and the rest of your family who are also attending the event, are exempt from testing then I guess they have to let you in anyway. But I find it extremely hard to believe that nobody was even asking.

Also you'd still be asked. If you then say that you, and the rest of your family who are also attending the event, are exempt from testing then I guess they have to let you in anyway. But I find it extremely hard to believe that nobody was even asking.
They were asking though?? Two posters have said they/their family attended and they were asked for proof.

There was only one poster, who has disappeared, who claimed it was easy to get in and no proof was requested

Reactions: 3
It states on the nhs website about covid passes and being exempt from testing and exempt from vaccination “You must not ask for proof of their medical exemption and it is not essential they show any form of exemption card at any point.”

It states on the nhs website about covid passes and being exempt from testing and exempt from vaccination “You must not ask for proof of their medical exemption and it is not essential they show any form of exemption card at any point.”
Yes, but they will only know if you are exempt if they ask to see your covid pass/proof of neg test and then you say "actually, I'm exempt." You aren't having to prove you're exempt, but you still have to tell them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.