Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mother in law, over 80 with a range of illnesses has emailed her local Tesco to tell them she is coming next Tuesday at around 10.30-11.00, will require the electric wheelchair and to make sure they are well stocked up. She has shopped there for many years and it was disgustingly empty when she visited this week and had to go to Sainsbury's, most inconvenient. Most days she doesn't bother getting dressed if she has no appointments but suddenly she has a spurt of energy and wants to go out. And I am not even making this up.
Mines the same only she thinks it's been sent specifically to piss her off and keep her in 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I don't suppose you know if they still get post/deliveries? Really need to order a car seat but dont understand if I'll actually get it if were in lockdown
I don’t know for definite but I would think Royal Mail would carry on, postage time might be slower due to handling precautions x

Reactions: 7
My mum is now in self isolation for 12 weeks due to underlying health conditions. My dad is having to be precautious about going out and about for the same reasons.

They know what they need to do, why they need to do it, and they are happy to do it if it massively reduces the risk of my mum l acquiring this horrible f*cking virus.

But they are equally heartbroken. They have 4 grandchildren (my 2 & my 2 nephews, ranging from 2-7) who they’ve looked after 5 days a week whilst we’ve been at work. Now no contact for 12 weeks, apart from FaceTime etc.

There will be families up and down the country in this same situation, and my heart goes out to every one of them. This is such a sad situation all round. I really worry for peoples mental health too, 12 weeks is a long time to be housebound. I really hope all these people have the love & support they need through this.

Anyone any ideas of things we could do to cheer our loved ones up, help them ‘pass the time’ etc if they find themselves in this situation?

Thanks!

Reactions: 7
My problem at the moment is birth control!! I’ve got a 10 week old with no intention of any more....The clinics near me aren’t doing the implants atm and I can’t see a doc about the pill until next Tuesday and even that’s a telephone appointment!! Abstinence is key at the moment!! 😂
There are different versions of the pill and mini pill which you can buy from the Superdrug Online pharmacy. I paid around £20 for three months of the mini pill in the past. I appreciate its money but means you don't have to make an appointment and speak to someone 😊

Reactions: 5
I don’t know for definite but I would think Royal Mail would carry on, postage time might be slower due to handling precautions x
I asked in our local sorting office as I had to go for work, they said they have no plans to close and have been told the first step would be limiting contact so anything to be signed for they could sign and put in a safe place to limit contact with anyone. Etc etc

Reactions: 2
My initial thoughts of shutting schools......oh great, now to contend with teenagers hanging around town messing around, on and off buses.....
If it is any comfort, I saw my son messaging with his college mates. They're planning to walk to a heath near us and mark out a circle so they stay 1m apart but can still see one another and chat. I have no idea if we parents will agree but it was really heartening to see them reminding each other not to come if they or their family have symptoms, not to touch each other etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My mum is now in self isolation for 12 weeks due to underlying health conditions. My dad is having to be precautious about going out and about for the same reasons.

They know what they need to do, why they need to do it, and they are happy to do it if it massively reduces the risk of my mum l acquiring this horrible f*cking virus.

But they are equally heartbroken. They have 4 grandchildren (my 2 & my 2 nephews, ranging from 2-7) who they’ve looked after 5 days a week whilst we’ve been at work. Now no contact for 12 weeks, apart from FaceTime etc.

There will be families up and down the country in this same situation, and my heart goes out to every one of them. This is such a sad situation all round. I really worry for peoples mental health too, 12 weeks is a long time to be housebound. I really hope all these people have the love & support they need through this.

Anyone any ideas of things we could do to cheer our loved ones up, help them ‘pass the time’ etc if they find themselves in this situation?

Thanks!
can you do drawings and letters to post through the doors? A daily ‘what we’ve been up to?’Kind of thing?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I hadn't ate properly for days with worry but I used the last of my milk eggs & peanut butter to make pancakes 😭
Well on the bright side at least your food will last. seriously though i know its hard but try not to worry (y)

The one thing that’s kinda important that I can’t seem to find right now is period products 🧐
If its sanitary towels you need Lidl and Aldi sell Always thats where I got mine from. plus they are cheaper there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
My car is due an MOT next week I am in a high risk category, but need it for hospital appointments, really worried about what to do
This was raised by the AA to the government this week, they are hoping for exceptions to be in place as people can’t get an MOT. Not sure it’s been agreed yet.

I’ve got eggs!!!!!!!!’

still lotsof elderly people shopping in my supermarket this morning 😫 it was horrendous- queues down the aisles, people everywhere.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I don't suppose you know if they still get post/deliveries? Really need to order a car seat but dont understand if I'll actually get it if were in lockdown
Deliveries will keep the country going. Its classes as an essential job, kids off delivery drivers can go to school. Theres even extra delivery jobs been advertised. I used to be a courier and now deliver pharmaceuticals. I'm ordering away (if in stock!)

Reactions: 3

Thanks!
Skype, Facetime etc, set a time each day to do it that way it's not on an ad hoc basis and gives them something to look forward to.

Write!, pretty sure mail is an essential service, get kids to write to their grandparents, draw pictures, make them puzzles or quizes. Can even do that with neighbours if it goes to a full on lockdown, post a street quiz through the door, 'without looking out the window, what colour is Number 9's garage door?' that kind of thing.

Talk more, even if it's just via text. Social media hasn't helped the art of proper conversation.

Learn a new skill, my daughter is gutted, sixth form for her has essentially abruptly ended, she was in Yr13, she'll get over it, it's all a compromise but one thing I'll make sure she'll go back to is learning to play the guitar, it had gone by the wayside in favour of studying. There's lots of things you can learn about online for free, a language, Futurelearn do online short courses, Tudor hisotry is an example and a lot are free, https://www.futurelearn.com/

Although, my daughter is 18, all the supermarkets round here are recruiting, desperate for extra staff to shelf stack overnight, makes total sense for her to help in some way.

If the supermarkets are rationing then the food should last longer hopefully.
They just need to slow down the panic buying to allow the supply chain to catch up. The panic buying has created a problem that didn't need creating!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Hi - I've been in isolation since weds last week - my husband had a fever, then my baby son and then I developed a fever on Saturday. Have had a temperature over 38 since. My family have recovered. I seem to be on the mend..does anyone have info how I can be tested in community to see if I have had coronavirus? (Once I'm out of isolation) Seems likely as I've just had fever and muscle aches and have never known a cold to cause a temp for six days!
Omg, I could have wrote this post. We have been in isolation too since last week and while my partner had a fever and cough, I've had aches and pains, an unusual throat and a persistent temp for multiple days. We are still recovering but getting slowly better. Glad to hear you are at the tail end of it. It's a shame we could not be tested sooner. Take care x

Reactions: 1
I don’t know if this actually works because I haven’t tried it (have seen a lot of people tweet about it) but Netflix party lets you watch things on there with people all at the same time and maybe video chat but I’m unsure about that bit

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.