Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
M&S will never bow to the little people, aldi are so much more relatable πŸ™„ I understand taking it seriously, chocolate caterpillars are a serious matter, but I expect this is going all the way to the high court... Again.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
M&S will never bow to the little people, aldi are so much more relatable
I think it does explain why M&S is in the state it's in. They move slowly while other retailers (especially fashion) move nimbly.

They've probably got a meeting Monday morning and will eventually drop the case and try to back down in the least humiliating way possible.

I saw the Tesco chocolate catapillar cake on offer tonight 🀣, kinda tempted as you can't get a Cuthbert for love or money but at the same time did look like a Swiss roll covered in nasty veggie oil chocolate frosting with sicky fondant stuck on. 😢. I've never had any of them but the serves 12 is insulting.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.

Be prepared for M&S dropping this action. The public don't care and we know very well what we're buying and where we're buying it from.

I don't think I'd walk in Aldi and pick up a Caterpillar cake and be surprised it wasn't an M&S Colin one!!

Aldi need to start on Peter Pigs and really get M&S going πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
They do Leo lions and they are actually better than Percy pigs πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I think it does explain why M&S is in the state it's in. They move slowly while other retailers (especially fashion) move nimbly.

They've probably got a meeting Monday morning and will eventually drop the case and try to back down in the least humiliating way possible.

I saw the Tesco chocolate catapillar cake on offer tonight 🀣, kinda tempted as you can't get a Cuthbert for love or money but at the same time did look like a Swiss roll covered in nasty veggie oil chocolate frosting with sicky fondant stuck on.
I'm so furious that we don't have aldi to compare the two 😫 I would gladly do a taste test for tattle. I would avoid tescos if I'm honest, but I've been craving a chocolate caterpillar since this story broke, so beggars can't be choosers.
M&S clothing wouldn't be the first place I'd choose to shop but they've upped their game ever so slightly, it's not all only Suitable for bus passers just yet. Hopefully Mondays meeting brings the drama 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Colin the Caterpillars were all sold out at my local M&S Food. I wonder if they've had an increase in sales?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
There's loads of the Tesco Curly the caterpillar here in Kent, but who the duck wants a chocolate cake with a slab of bright orange fondant on the front? πŸ’©

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Could it be all a massive incognito sales drive with both parties agreeing to this little performance?
Now, thats a conspiracy I could bite Into.
But why? Logistics, distance, luck of the draw?
Colin caterpillar sweeties used to be lovely, different colour, they changed them.
ETA: cunts

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Maybe you could try to find Colin in a jar.

View attachment 534206
I saw M&S telling people on insta these have 400 calories a serving...and a serving they say is half a jar πŸ˜†. Sack the lot of their PR team!

Why is m&s still so plastic centric? There's way better options out there and has been for years. Of all the places they could do so much better! They seem to have given up at the bare minimum of bamboo cutlery.

Reactions: 7
This Colin Vs Cuthbert drama has made my
week.

Agree, this is so interesting from the business perspective. The fact Aldi pounced, at the weekend, with a blinding social media strategy that encouraged all major food retailers to join in. When clearly M&S are not sure how to respond. One can only imagine all sorts of serious weekend conferences / calls /meetings that have taken place with M&S senior management teams, head of marketing, external PR consultants, legal teams etc. All over a flipping caterpillar cake πŸ˜‚

Definitely a great lesson in the need to adapt to situations quickly and great use of social media by Aldi. They have taken the wind out of M&S’ sails completely.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.

Be prepared for M&S dropping this action. The public don't care and we know very well what we're buying and where we're buying it from.

I don't think I'd walk in Aldi and pick up a Caterpillar cake and be surprised it wasn't an M&S Colin one!!

Aldi need to start on Peter Pigs and really get M&S going πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
duck sake
Peter pigs dying πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 1
This Colin Vs Cuthbert drama has made my
week.

Agree, this is so interesting from the business perspective. The fact Aldi pounced, at the weekend, with a blinding social media strategy that encouraged all major food retailers to join in. When clearly M&S are not sure how to respond. One can only imagine all sorts of serious weekend conferences / calls /meetings that have taken place with M&S senior management teams, head of marketing, external PR consultants, legal teams etc. All over a flipping caterpillar cake πŸ˜‚

Definitely a great lesson in the need to adapt to situations quickly and great use of social media by Aldi. They have taken the wind out of M&S’ sails completely.

Its definatly been funny how other brand have played along .

Coop made me laugh don't bring us into this.

Will judge rinder decide.

I buy a Colin the caterpillar cake at start if this month for sons birthday but this was pre legal action. I shop in aldi but don't recall seeing cuthbert.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Popped into M and S for something yesterday and they were sold out of Colin's. Not gonna lie, all this talk of caterpillar cakes is making me want one πŸ™ˆ

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I spat out my drink 🀣🀣🀣🀣

Are ye not in the UK or Ireland?
I am also from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents have always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ). The last one we ordered. My best memories as a kid include running straight to the fridge first thing in the morning the next day for left over cake.

1618727431703.png

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16