Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
Was listening to Jeremy Vine yesterday lunchtime discussing this (I am 28 and consider myself too old now for the racket that is radio 1 😂) and they had a lady phone in whose son is at uni and for his birthday him and his flat mates had a caterpillar cake party a few weeks ago and managed to find nine!!!!! Different caterpillar cakes from different supermarkets and ranked them 😂 apparently Colin actually won, the one they rated least came from One Stop! Idk how their caterpillar cake party alone didn’t go viral, what an amazing idea 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60

Yel

Chatty Member
Probably an idea for one thread on #freecuthbert and what's turning into the most spectacular own goal for M&S (who I have limited sympathy for as they often nab stuff from small producers to then recreate in their own brand).

20210417_092356.jpg
Screenshot_20210417-092329_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 56

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.

Be prepared for M&S dropping this action. The public don't care and we know very well what we're buying and where we're buying it from.

I don't think I'd walk in Aldi and pick up a Caterpillar cake and be surprised it wasn't an M&S Colin one!!

Aldi need to start on Peter Pigs and really get M&S going 😂 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
It’s my birthday next Sunday and at the big age of (nearly) 22 I have asked for a Colin the Caterpillar after last eating one when I was 6! Although this is making me reconsider! I think M&S are being petty. I know there’s the deal about intellectual property and look-a-likes, but the Sainsbury’s one looks spot on too and they haven’t been hit for it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I want to marry whoever is in charge of the Aldi social media account!

* quietly adds Cuthbert to birthday shopping list *

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Aldi have played this so well, love that other brands are jumping in too. M&S made themselves look like dicks!
Marketing masterclass! 🙌

Reactions: 24

Meh

Chatty Member
This Colin Vs Cuthbert drama has made my
week.

Agree, this is so interesting from the business perspective. The fact Aldi pounced, at the weekend, with a blinding social media strategy that encouraged all major food retailers to join in. When clearly M&S are not sure how to respond. One can only imagine all sorts of serious weekend conferences / calls /meetings that have taken place with M&S senior management teams, head of marketing, external PR consultants, legal teams etc. All over a flipping caterpillar cake 😂

Definitely a great lesson in the need to adapt to situations quickly and great use of social media by Aldi. They have taken the wind out of M&S’ sails completely.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Yel

Chatty Member
M&S are saying nothing and trying to promote their Italian meal deal but there's only one thing people are replying with.

They so easily could have had a pop at Aldi without alienating and annoying so many people - could have spoken about free range eggs, more cocoa etc and done a positive campaign.

Seems like they've given the marketing team the weekend off and will limp on next week and miss the opportunity to try and fix it promptly.

Yes I realise how seriously I'm taking chocolate catapillars but it's fascinating from a business pov 😆. It's the light-hearted drama I live for 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 22

BigMavis

VIP Member
Its been very funny. M&S are pissed because the face is the same, other retailers used a different coloured face. Apparently Colin and Cuthbert are produced in the same factory and I'm pissed because we don't have aldi and everyone says its great 😑

• Haha
Reactions: 21