Co-op food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you use the Co-op much anymore? They seem to be dying out from what I've seen. There's nowhere near as many as there used to be even 10 years ago. I had a phase a bit ago of using them quite a lot. Thinking I might pop in early Christmas eve as well to top up on some bits.

I find some of their fresh pizzas decent, they also do a really nice tuna mayo sandwich in white bread. The rest of it is quite meh - ready meals aren't up to much and they don't seem to be too fond of coming up with new products. That said, I do find the quality quite good and always buy more than I expected.

Reactions: 5
My little sister has one as her nearest supermarket. When I stayed with her I couldn't get over their prices. Higher then M&S prices minus the quality.

Milk was £.130 for a normal 2.4L bottle.
Ready Brek was £2.75.
A single basic tomato soup can was £0.70p.

the only thing I would really use coop for now is that they have recycling bins for soft plastic, like packaging or plastic bags, at least near me they do not sure itf it is nationwide

Do you use the Co-op much anymore? They seem to be dying out from what I've seen. There's nowhere near as many as there used to be even 10 years ago. I had a phase a bit ago of using them quite a lot. Thinking I might pop in early Christmas eve as well to top up on some bits.

I find some of their fresh pizzas decent, they also do a really nice tuna mayo sandwich in white bread. The rest of it is quite meh - ready meals aren't up to much and they don't seem to be too fond of coming up with new products. That said, I do find the quality quite good and always buy more than I expected.
There are loads near me (south east). I like their own brand weetabix and 99 tea bags (I was brought up on those). I think the quality has improved but still expensive for what it is.

Reactions: 1
They have wine on 2 for £10 sometimes and the fairtrade sauvignon blanc included on it is one of my faves! Highly recommend. They also do outdoor bred bacon as standard so I feel less back about buying the "cheaper" kind when I'm skint at the end of the month and it's 2 for £4 so comparable to Tesco etc. For most things it is hideously overpriced though I do agree

I agree that's the almost the first thing anyone says about the Co-Op "Well expensive". I do like them as sort of a nostalgia thing though, reminds of being a kid for some reason as there was a big one in our local village and it was like the only supermarket. But they do need to go on a major re-branding exercise

Reactions: 2

We have a coop local and regular coop near, I err towards the coop local as profits are distributed in the community, they also have a bakery that churns out fantastic jalapeño and cheddar bread. Fresh pizzas are excellent i agree and the sea salt and cider vinegar crisps beat kettle chips for me *chefs kiss*

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ours closed but I only went in if I really needed to. It was over the top expensive compared to Morrison’s 30 seconds walk away.

There’s one at the top of my road so I do go quite a lot but usually only for essentials like milk and bread. I love their own brand oven pizzas but they are £3.50 a pop so I don’t tend to buy them unless they’re reduced or on offer. Couldn’t believe the price of a 6 pack of Skips when I was in yesterday, £2.15! They’re basically air. 😂

• Haha
I hate our local one, the folks who work there are the most miserable buggers ever!! But I did manage to get flour in the first lockdown when other shops had none!!

We have a coop local and regular coop near, I err towards the coop local as profits are distributed in the community, they also have a bakery that churns out fantastic jalapeño and cheddar bread. Fresh pizzas are excellent i agree and the sea salt and cider vinegar crisps beat kettle chips for me *chefs kiss*
I go in specifically for their Sea Salt and Cider Vinegar Crisps. Properly strong, ruin your mouth strong. Just how I like them.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
the only thing I would really use coop for now is that they have recycling bins for soft plastic, like packaging or plastic bags, at least near me they do not sure itf it is nationwide
This is why I go in to ours!

Their frozen deal for £5 always used to be good, do they still do that?

Coop sandwiches are nicer than m&s and waitrose. The coronation chicken has proper big bits of chicken that actually taste like chicken.

The one near me is always much busier than the little waitrose that's opposite.

I only have a coop near me as I live in the middle of nowhere! The only things I particularly like are their “Gro” range, if you’re vegetarian or vegan some of the stuff is lovely. Apart from that the rest of it is a rip off and I wish there was an Aldi near by

Co-op is the only supermarket in my nearest small town (in south west) so have to rely on it more than I'd like to.
I like it a lot more since they put in self-serve checkouts as they never had enough staff to man the normal checkouts. However the prices are a lot more than other shops (even Sainsburys in the next-nearest town).

Positives:
- a lot of the own-brand stuff is Fair Trade, ethical etc.
- recycling bins for plastic
- they are trying to be more environmentally friendly
- the membership card allows you to take money off your shopping if you want
- own-brand crisps are excellent, interesting flavours
- fruit and veg is in my opinion nicer quality than Waitrose (but not as good as M&S)
- ready meals/pizzas/convenience foods are adequate in a pinch
- own-brand beauty and cleaning products not tested on animals
- Slush Puppie machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- the free magazine is actually pretty good and I've got several recipes from it that I make often

Negatives:
- expensive compared to other supermarkets
- not much choice in my local store
- they don't appear to stock quinoa
- staff (although at the moment they seem a better bunch than for a long time)
- at least one of the freezers always seem to be out of order

Also, I worked there during sixth form and for a year afterwards and must say it seems to have improved greatly since then.

There are quite a few branches, where I live in the South West. I quite like some of their products, they do some nice sandwiches. But as people have said, they can be a little expensive.