Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
I started this thread, thought I would update it. I am now a cloth convert! In the 3 periods, I've lowered my use of disposal pads, the last period only used 1 disposal! I had originaly brought cheap ones of eBay but today ordered some off cheeky wipes and some period knickers.

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone for the advice.

Reactions: 3

Meezy

I really recommend Precious Stars Pads, I got my cloth ones there 4 years ago and they are still going strong. So much better for the environment and your wallet in the long run! I usually wear them as a back up when using a cup but sometimes I just use them on their own, after which I will soak them in cold water and Vanish powder before rinsing and washing in the machine. As already mentioned, don't use fabric softener on them as it can effect the absorbency, so for that reason I usually wash along with towels or my gym leggings which I also don't use softener on.

I know not everyone can wear a cup but there are so many more brands out there than Mooncup, and so while one brand of cup might not suit you another one could be great. I use a Lena Cup and love it, and there are also Saalt cups, Ruby cups, Lily cups, Lunette cups, the list goes on!

Reactions: 2

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
I've ordered a couple of eBay to see how I get on before investing in the more expensive ones. I've tried a mooncup before and didn't really get on with it, need to try again really.

Princesspinky

I'm really interested in this , I'm having problems with sanitary towles irritating me , I bleed sho heavy I usually leak so I need something very very absorbent.
How do you wash them ? Presumably not with other things ? Or do you need to rinse them out before going in the washing machine ?

DietGossip

VIP Member
Does anyone who uses the cloth one have very heavy periods? I have fibroids and due to this I have heavy periods and heavy clots. I currently have to use night pads at day time. I had considered a moon cup but worry about how to empty it at work? Sorry if tmi
If I end up in a toilet without a sink and need to empty it, I usually empty it onto some tissue in the toilet and then wipe it clean before reusing it. I will then wash it properly next time I'm at a sink

Medusah80

Chatty Member
Hi ladies,I have just come off my first period using cloth pads
I don’t know what to think just yet, my period is 3 days and I leaked all 3 days not too bad but I leaked .
I think I need to buy snug fitting knickers.

SisterBliss

I use cloth sanitary pads too, but because bamboo charcoal fleece, polyester that doesn’t leak and metallic clasps all give me skin problems, I’m still searching for the perfect pure cotton, plastic clasp holy grail. If you don’t mind metal, Glad Rags have cotton pads in a variety of sizes, but they’re really expensive. How many will depend how many times a day you need change the pad, and how often you want to do the washing. I have 6 heavy flow ones and 4 light flow.

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
Hello all - new to this thread. I want to same a question and hope it’s not TMI but going by the subject it should be fine.

I am interested in reusable pads or period pants, whichever would be more suitable. However, I don’t know if I will be able to find anything that would work for me and I am concerned I don’t have loads of excess cash to waste.

I used to use tampons until a few years ago when I started getting a reaction to them. Basically if I used them I get swelling, I do occasionally I do get generally swelling with a period but not often these days. I have been using sanitary towels since, however, I don’t know if this is just my body being weird or due to the fact I am a very big girl (size 24) but I can’t use a sanitary towel conventionally. I can only wear long towels and I wear them ‘back to front’. I need the long tail worn to the front as this is where most my blood goes, if that makes sense? If I wear ‘Normal’ length ones (either way round) I get so much leakage.

Is there a reusable towel out there that’s extra long that I could use in the same way? Any period pants that would work? I must say period pants do look like the absorbency bit should be high enough at the front. I’m concerned as it’s not like I could wear the pants backwards 😂 thanks for taking the time to read x

I'm a "front" bleeder too so tend to pull the cloth pads further forward in my knickers, I did get some off eBay that were larger one end so I wear them backwards too!

I've had ordered the knickers but not worn them yet but the lining looks like it will be perfect for me.

I ordered some cheap ones of eBay to see how I got on before buying more expensive ones, I know everyone's abit wary at the moment but I got the larger ones from China, think it was £6 for 5.

KfBr

VIP Member
I started this thread, thought I would update it. I am now a cloth convert! In the 3 periods, I've lowered my use of disposal pads, the last period only used 1 disposal! I had originaly brought cheap ones of eBay but today ordered some off cheeky wipes and some period knickers.

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone for the advice.
I’m converted too!! Loving them!
Can anyone recommend a place to buy them
I got mine from eBay. 10 pack for £15 I think it was 😁

Reactions: 1

Medusah80

Chatty Member
Cups are very easy to change apparently. Maybe look at some YouTube videos. I personally cant use cups or any internal products so I'm not much help there!
I think what the OP meant was rinsing the cup out at work would be tricky if you there are no hand basins in the actual cubicle .

For me personally that was the issue

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
How do use period knickers ?
I am currently using cloth pads,I love them .
I think you can wear them as just normally knickers and change throughout the day or to wear a pad on top then take the pad out.

Me too! Rinsing then is a bit grim I thought last month this must be what it smells like cutting a body up in the bath but I feel like I’m saving the environment, money and also getting less nappy rash (v heavy bleeder soz!)
I've not noticed a smell at all, I noticed some sites sell essential oils to soak them in. Might be worth a try?

SisterBliss

I dry mine in the dyer, or on the radiator, they’re no hassle to wash and dry at all. If you get cotton ones, and they bunch up, I just stretch them to shape, wet or dry, and tightly roll each one in a bundle once they’re dry so they're crease free next time I wear them

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I swear by them, they are better for the environment, you only have the initial outlay, they are more comfortable, and great if you don't get on with tampons and cups which imo are irritating.