Christmas watch 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is great. I text my sister last night telling her that maybe we should leave presents this year for each other, but I’ll still buy her kids something. She wasn’t happy about getting one less present 😆 I’m struggling this year, I’m not gonna lie. I’m out of inspiration but also money.
seriously? What did she say?! If someone said to me "lets not buy for each other this year and just do the kids" I'd be like "YEAAASSSSS let's do that so I don't have to think of something to buy you and can avoid receiving something I probably won't want"

Reactions: 10
Regarding cheese straws where do you get your from? I like Tesco's finest think they are £1.70 a box

Reactions: 3
This question was posted before but wasn't answered.

What nibbles/treats will everyone be purchasing to enjoy over Christmas? Crisp and nut suggestions welcome as I'm more savoury than sweet 😋 I do like a Christmas Colin from M&S though! I've got that on order already
My mums already ordered half of the M&S catalog 😂.
We usually have a party for the family on the night so it’s usually sausage and cheese rolls, cheese straws, crisps and those savoury egg things.
I think she said she’s got a baked Brie thing too so I’m looking forward to that.

This is great. I text my sister last night telling her that maybe we should leave presents this year for each other, but I’ll still buy her kids something. She wasn’t happy about getting one less present 😆 I’m struggling this year, I’m not gonna lie. I’m out of inspiration but also money.
Can I swap my sister for you? I’d love this. I find it such a hassle these days, you’ve got family, friends and bloody secret santas. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but it annoys me when you put thought and effort in and get a crappy B&M mug back or a bath bomb, just don’t buy me anything.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I honestly wonder how my brother would take to this, personally he's not getting much a choice 😂 we have always done pretty expensive presents to each other, then he got a partner an I was expected to not only keep up with expensive presents with him but also get her somthing as well, this year he now has a kid an am just like enough is enough, I can't be doing both of them plus a kid so this year it will be a small joint present between them an somthing for the kid, am on my own an have enough to buy for, I expect he probably won't be too happy about it

Reactions: 7
I don’t really buy presents for adults if I do then it’s a bottle of alcohol and some chocolate. My SIL has 4 kids that we have to buy for, I swear we spent more on her kids presents than we did for our daughter last year 😣 my brothers girlfriend is expecting a baby in January so that will be another one added to the list next year. God it’s so expensive

• Heart
Regarding cheese straws where do you get your from? I like Tesco's finest think they are £1.70 a box
We all dress up in Christmas onesies and use the fresh cheese we made a month earlier for our cheese straws , nothing nicer than indulgent home made ones
Just kidding , I am not a knob with loads of time of my hands. M&S , currently two boxes for £2 !

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I buy the Aldi cheese twists on the regular and demolish the box, theyre about 60p

I always buy proper salted butter at Christmas and keep it in a butter dish. I dont bother the rest of the year cause noone else eats it. Gives me an excuse to eat all the bread.

I buy the Aldi cheese twists on the regular and demolish the box, theyre about 60p

I always buy proper salted butter at Christmas and keep it in a butter dish. I dont bother the rest of the year cause noone else eats it. Gives me an excuse to eat all the bread.
I use a butter dish at Christmas too, never gets used any other time of the year. Same with my fancy cheese knives and cake stand. I get quite excited about using it all and feeling posh for a day 🤣

seriously? What did she say?! If someone said to me "lets not buy for each other this year and just do the kids" I'd be like "YEAAASSSSS let's do that so I don't have to think of something to buy you and can avoid receiving something I probably won't want"
She has everything in the world, too yet never pays it back.
Last year, I spend ages trying to find her the right present. I ended up buying her a brass monkey in a glass dome (sounds hideous but that’s her aesthetic) and I got a dish towel in return. Normally, I don’t care and it’s the thought that counts, but when I’m also buying for her children and husband, you can imagine it’s begun to grate on me.
Maybe next year I’ll suggest it again.

I honestly wonder how my brother would take to this, personally he's not getting much a choice 😂 we have always done pretty expensive presents to each other, then he got a partner an I was expected to not only keep up with expensive presents with him but also get her somthing as well, this year he now has a kid an am just like enough is enough, I can't be doing both of them plus a kid so this year it will be a small joint present between them an somthing for the kid, am on my own an have enough to buy for, I expect he probably won't be too happy about it
I struggle with joint presents, do you go with something one person might like or a gift no one really wants? Every year I try but I never get it right and end up buying them each presents.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Last year, I spend ages trying to find her the right present. I ended up buying her a brass monkey in a glass dome (sounds hideous but that’s her aesthetic) and I got a dish towel in return. Normally, I don’t care and it’s the thought that counts, but when I’m also buying for her children and husband, you can imagine it’s begun to grate on me.

I struggle with joint presents, do you go with something one person might like or a gift no one really wants? Every year I try but I never get it right and end up buying them each presents.
Was it a nice tea towel though ?! 😆 I get you completely. It interests me where people set their price points when people ask what you would like? I usually aim for under a tenner when people ask me: wine/nail varnish/gloves. SIL sent me a link to a Pandora jewellery set (plus gift for hub and kids) despite getting us the same spicy sauce set BETWEEN us each year. We like spicy sauce but still 😒

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Was it a nice tea towel though ?! 😆 I get you completely. It interests me where people set their price points when people ask what you would like? I usually aim for under a tenner when people ask me: wine/nail varnish/gloves. SIL sent me a link to a Pandora jewellery set (plus gift for hub and kids) despite getting us the same spicy sauce set BETWEEN us each year. We like spicy sauce but still 😒
I think that's not ok.

My ex-brother-in-law (not married, but you get what I mean: my boyfriend's brother) got presents for both of his kids, a gift for himself and a gift for his wife from both my boyfriend and me. He send a cheapie T-Shirt for my boyfriend, nothing for me. Cheapskate.
Glad I don't have to see him anymore.

Reactions: 5
How do people have the brass neck to be like this I’d honestly be so embarrassed with myself!

Reactions: 12
I think that's not ok.

My ex-brother-in-law (not married, but you get what I mean: my boyfriend's brother) got presents for both of his kids, a gift for himself and a gift for his wife from both my boyfriend and me. He send a cheapie T-Shirt for my boyfriend, nothing for me. Cheapskate.
Glad I don't have to see him anymore.
Oh that's bad in terms of money AND effort put in. Here's the thing I didn't even ask this yr as bought quite a lot in summer sales, got her a lovely benefit make up kit she'll like half price, so she'll get what she's given 🤷‍♀️ Figure she always asks father in law for money so can get it herself if she really, really wants it. Its just how can people ask for things at that price point and feel yeah that's ok 🤯

Reactions: 1
The present thing is so stressful. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE buying people gifts, but I like to do it if I see something super special that makes me think of them, or as a spur of the moment surprise thing, so it's a true gesture. Buying something for the sake of a manmade occasion is just a nightmare and you end up buying things for the sake of it. We decided to tell our families this year that why don't we just all do a secret santa instead, so we are only buying for 2 people per family. £10 budget for my family which is great (other than my goddaughter who is a child so obviously different and my Gran who lives alone so it's a bit different). But my boyfriend's family turned around and said sure - how about a budget of £100-£150... I was like WHAT!? Their reckoning is because we usually spend that in total, what's the difference? I was like because 1) we are trying to save money because christmas expenses are ridiculous and we are skint and 2) it's supposed to be a bleeping gesture, why do any of us need £150 of tat?

I swear people are so blinded by material items it's painful. Give me some camembert, twinkly lights and a good christmas movie and I'm happy man.

And on that note - gosh it's been years since they brought out any decent new christmas movies, although I did quite like that animated Grinch lol.

Reactions: 11

Honestly I go with somthing more on what my bother will like but which isn't too obvs it's more for him, last year it was more money in a card, the whole lockdown an not knowing if anything online would go bust or not they just got that, but usually its a day out or somthing I'll book, one year I booked a day out for them on the jacobite that goes from Fort William over the glenfinnan viaduct an out to mallaig, my brother loves going out on any kind of transport so he loved it an since it was like a day out it didn't feel obvs to her that it was more for him lol I'll also do like little bus tours an such as well but this year having the kid how much I spend on them will be dropping dramatically as I've already told them now they are parents then the high spending stops as they have a child to be bought for now an I'd rather spend more on her than them so I might just book a little day out somewhere like a lunch for them and watch the kid

And on that note - gosh it's been years since they brought out any decent new christmas movies, although I did quite like that animated Grinch lol.
Just to add she's not a nasty person more just completely delusional 🙃

Know its not new,new but we really like the Nutcracker one with Keira Knightley. Thumbs up to new Grinch👍

Last edited:
The whole present thing is so stressful! Within my family we have been doing a secret santa for about 10 years now, name is pulled out a hat and budget is £50 and we make wish lists so it means everyone gets 1 present that they really like, saves so much money and stress!!

I do love buying for people but I hate the expectations and how much there is to buy for. One year my MIL said our presents weren’t thoughtful enough because we got them a hamper :ROFLMAO: FFS. Didn’t put much thought into it to be fair but it was a nice hamper.

At least my side of the family just buy for the kids. Much easier.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.