Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hastaggifted

VIP Member
Please don’t hate me too much for saying this and I know money is tight especially this year but it annoys me when you put thought into a gift and spend quite a bit of money on someone and you get a random mug from B&Ms or a bath bomb back I’d rather people didn’t bother.
I bought my MIL a lovely hamper filled with chocolates, champagne, biscuits etc and a hair dryer that she was hinting for , all in all cost about £100 and she got me a handcream from home bargs that would have cost her about 99p 🤣
 
  • Wow
  • Like
  • Sad
Reactions: 26

EllaEllaElla

Well-known member
I’ve received 1 dove set and 1 bottle of rose even though I make it clear I bloody hate rose 😂😂

Other than that no present moans here. Found out I’m going to be an auntie for the first time😭🤩 all I’ve done is cry over it this morning hahaha. I think even the very worst present won’t matter to me today!! 😄😄😄😄
Aww congratulations to you all on the lil baba. xx



Well presents have been opened and I'm now the proud owner of not one, not even two but four cat calendars 🙈 Welpp, one for each wall of the room I guess 😅
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I didn't get a single present or card from my partner or kids. I should be used to this by now as it happens most birthdays and Christmas but it feels like an extra kick in the teeth at the moment. I've been really suffering with my mental health the last couple of months and though I know I'm not worthless, it certainly doesn't go any way to making me feel cared about.

I'm really dreading going back to work next week and being asked the usual "did you get anything nice" and hearing what efforts everyone else's families have made.



Same. And then I feel guilty for feeling shitty for not getting a present. Even though a bloody card that the husband had taken the kids to put some thought into choosing and writing would have been enough, you know?

So I basically ran around like a blue arsed fly in the run up to Christmas, stayed up stupid late to put stockings in rooms when they were finally asleep, got up stupid early Christmas morning and spent hours putting stuff together, picking up wrapping paper etc before cooking dinner then had friends showing me all this stuff they’d got and I’d not even got a card.

Then I felt selfish for feeling that way.

Rant over. Hope you’re feeling a bit better today

You are not selfish for thinking that way, but if this is what it's always like then why are you still doing these things? Why are you still around unless your partners treat you great all year but don't do Christmas then you are just setting yourself up as martyrs, if your children are very young you are teaching them how to treat you.

Do your children have pocket money? if so next year take them Christmas shopping (if not give them some Christmas shopping money) let them buy you something. It does not have to be your partner. they are clearly not teaching them about the gift of giving so you need to do that for them. Don't be running around like a blue arse fly to make Christmas special for someone who doesn't give a shite (if indeed they don't)
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

WhatABore

VIP Member
My biggest annoyance with family is they ask what I want constantly. Birthdays and Christmas.
And then get me something completely different.
Why ask? 😂

I asked for some baking bits for my birthday this year, in a couple of weeks. And my sister has already told me what she's got me. And none of it is baking bits 😂
Wouldn't even mind if they were thoughtful gifts to do with interests I have, things I like. But they're not 😂

I sound ungrateful. I'm grateful for the presents.
It's the fact they always ask. And have never got what I've suggested or even close 😂
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26

ATV2021

VIP Member
Ok so I have a on off relationship with my sister - went to mums today to find she'd dropped of Xmas present for myself and my daughter (her neice).
We open them ----wait for it
I received a packet of tissues - from a multi pack and my daughter received a small tube of lip balm.

I genuinely have no words 😮🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Just don't bother
I think this is the 2021 Xmas winner 🤣🤣🤣
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I tried to not buy anything for one my brothers and his 4 kids after last year but caved last minute and got them all stuff. Bought my other brother and his kid and dogs quite a lots of stuff . I’m vulnerable so alone this Christmas. They picked it up from outside my door, didn’t say thank you or anything and honestly presents mean nothing but the fact they didn’t even give me a card from my nieces and nephews broke me. As soon as I shut the door I burst into tears 😭. Am I just weird or greedy wishing for a card?

Anyway I hope you all have a gorgeous Christmas♥
You’re not weird for wishing for a card. They sound incredibly rude. I wouldn’t bother with them next year and just spend the money on yourself.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

mcfeez

VIP Member
I'll wait and see what my MIL has bought me before contributing properly to this thread.

She has dreadful taste but still insists on asking if I liked it. She also knows full well I tend to be blunt about these things ...
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 25

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
I’m sorry you’ve all had some rubbish gifts but thanks so much for sharing, I’m stuck at home this year without my family so reading this has cheered me right up 😂
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Samf2020

VIP Member
I had a friend who I spent both a lot of time and money on her birthday with lots of things that she liked in there. Then I went on holiday later that year, brought her back a few things that again I spent a lot of time and money on.
About a month before Christmas she was talking about her 12 year old niece having her bag stolen at a school thing and how upset she was, she gave so many details I realised it was one I had given her. It clicked something in my head and I realised she had been using the gifts I bought her to give to her family for birthdays, mothers day etc.
Come time to go shopping for that Christmas I grabbed the first pair of pjs in her size that were under 20 quid and called it a day. Only so many times I was willing to finance her gift buying for a year.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25

TJ90

VIP Member
As a teenager my Nan used to buy us a perfume (could be hit or miss) and knickers that were several sizes too big 😂
When I was about 20 she bought my boyfriend a Justin Bieber perfume thinking it was aftershave 😂😂😂 bless her.
I am living for the Nan stories.
Nan’s are just the best aren’t they.
We’d always open a little gift set off my Nan and you could guarantee there’d be £50 hidden in it somewhere. The stress of opening the wrapping paper and not wanting to rip through cash on Christmas morning 😂 god I miss her ❤
 
  • Heart
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Clickbait

VIP Member
In the Summer, I pressed some cornflowers in a book, with the intention of using them for some sort
Christmas morning arrived, and I placed his presents in the living room. He sheepishly said that he didn't have the time to wrap my present, or buy me anything else because he had been concentrating on the contents of the friend's hamper. I felt deeply upset and taken for granted, I should have bitten my lip, but instead I whinged at him. However we did reconsile, and have had a pleasent day together. But I am still angry with the friend.

Sorry to waffle on.
Firstly, that is not waffling on and secondly, no need to apologise. Something I’ve felt very strongly this year is that people have been impeded or made to feel guilty for voicing an annoyance or upset when everyone is going through a hard time or a worse time. Personally, I feel better for having a bit of a moan or clearing what’s on my mind. Obviously the audience and timing is important, but we are only human: we get pissed off, we can feel hard done by. It may be a valid reason, it may be totally selfish and a bit nuts!

I’ve read some threads on here starting with things like ‘Am I overreacting/being selfish’ etc. And sometimes I think ‘yes’! Once I posted to say that their behaviour was a bit psycho. But this hasn’t been a normal year, we may all be behaving or reacting differently. And that’s ok.

As I said before, this is a great space to vent and be unapologetic about it. You know he did a great thing for his friend and sadly that came at the expense of your gifts this year. Hopefully next year for your birthday and/or Christmas he won’t make the same mistake x
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

mcfeez

VIP Member
My mum and I do the same dance every year. She gets a voucher for husband and I but insists on a physical pressie too. Asks what skincare, haircare products I use, I tell her no its fine they are expensive. She insists again. I tell ok but just warning you again, I use expensive stuff (btw it is not hugely pricey, I just know what she considers expensive).

Then she buys them, hands them over in a parcel and literally goes on the whole day about the "fortune" she spent on moisturiser and face wash I use. Its incredibly irritating.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Welll christmas given is over...hope we have all learnt our lesson in given we don't recieve the same love and effort back. We kind of care about the price but can't tell people we spent this much can you?.
Next Christmas my aim
● Not to get into any works secret santa
● Don't over spend on stepdaughters mother
● Tell my nephew he's too old for present (discussions with sister last night over text she basically said don't bother hes obviously takes piss with price of takeaways)
● drill it into partners head i don't want anything from b&m give me money he would of spent and I will put money towards something I want for me to open in front of stepdaughter instead of opening millions of cheapo bathbombs and balms.
● I see something I like don't hint to anyone just buy it myself
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Pinkblush

VIP Member
We had to phone people up and thank them for gifts when I was young and it had to be done on xmas day. I make my kids do the same for any gifts they recieve. Its basic good manners.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 24

allaboutthegossip

Active member
I read once that a gift has fulfilled its purpose once it has been given. So I accept all gifts gratefully but once they are mine I know I can do with them as I see fit. I donate unwanted gifts to the charity shop and ones that can’t be donated get binned. I know it’s not ideal for the environment but I also can’t cope with unwanted gifts occupying mental space in my head. Everything you own is on your to do list.

A possible idea for people would be to send christmas cards in early December stating that this year you have decided not to do gifts but instead are donating to a charity of your choice. It would give them a heads up that they won’t be getting anything 🤷‍♀️

To be honest I hate the pressure of gifts and the upset it can cause.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

littlenoodle

Well-known member
My father in law bought me a cheese making kit for Christmas. I'm a vegan and have been for 6 years.

He then proceeded to argue at me (I say at me as I was very clearly trying to not engage in the conversation) that vegan 'meat' is offensive. I was just minding my own business eating crisps in the corner 👍
 
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
It was my birthday in September. My aunt handed me a gift bag, inside the bag was a relatively nice black tote bag.

At the bottom of the gift bag was a card which said “sorry you’re leaving” and signed by her ex co workers. 😂

I didn’t really mind. Still can’t top the poncho I got when I asked for a MAC lipstick.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 23

Lauramar

Well-known member
I was gifted my favourite hair product, which I'm very grateful for but it's used, as the gifter wanted to try it to see why I like it!
 
  • Wow
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 23