Christmas Decorations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Marking my place here as I bloody love Christmas!! Summer is pretty much over which means it’s around the corner now 😍😂 I’m a classic girl when it comes to decorations- lots of red! Same decorations every year but add a new one. Love reading everyone’s ideas!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Well this thread has cheered up my 2020!

I bought my house based on where I was going to put the Xmas tree.... (square bay window).

AND I am simultaneously reading this thread and watching Love Actually on the TV, whilst in bed with my fluffy dressing gown on and hot water bottle because it’s FREEZING.

Proper Xmas feels tonight ☺

Decs wise - used to be big on fairy lights literally everywhere and bloody great artificial green swag thing up the stairs but the last few years pared back a bit (also got sick of it taking longer to go to bed turning them all off) sprigs of faux eucalyptus (ikea) which I cut up to fit my fireplaces and more candles.

Main tree usually real with warm white lights and silver/pearl/gold baubles. Strictly no tinsel.
But in family room have an Argos pop up tree which I love so much and have coloured lights on - though like a previous poster mentioned, hate the LED crap but I struggle to find the old fashioned ones that don’t burn my retinas.

And finally....I once was head of a department and my team shared an open plan office floor with another team. Who’s manager channelled Ms Trunchbull/Stalin and dictated they were not to put up any decorations till after 20th Dec or some nonsense, because she thought Christmas was ghastly and commercial....this pissed me off greatly. So guess what our side of the office did on 1st December? 🤣 lit the place up like Chaplins.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
We have a scandi theme, so red grey and white. I'm not a fan of guady decorations or lots of colours. We don't decorate much, we have a tree and some decorations in the living room and that's it. We have a tradition of buying a new tree decoration every year and I have a (bit raggedy) pom pom angel that I remember my mum buying when I was little so we hang her to remind us of my parents

I adore my tree angel though, Ethel. She has pink hair

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I freaking love Christmas. I have a small house so a skinny fake tree, led lights (I hate doing the lights on the tree but its essential). I swap out my sofa blanket for a red and white christmas knitted one from Aldi and change my cushions over to Christmas ones. I have a red and white scandi looking felt bunting (actually two) which I hang along the curtain rail.

My general colour scheme is red, gold and white but I will deviate. None of my tree decorations really match. The last few years I have been trying to buy a decoration from every country I visit so my tree has something new and interesting and it brings back holiday memories. I've decorations from Norway, Hong Kong, Denmark, Austria, Hungary and the US amongst others.

Reactions: 6
I've been influenced... I'm so sorry! I have themes... The living room tree is traditional red and gold with wooden decorations. The kitchen tree is orange, gold and wood. The play room tree is pink and blue. I just like it to look nice.
I do want to think about wrapping paper this year, a lot of it isn't recyclable and brown paper packages tied up with string is one of my favourite things 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I've been influenced... I'm so sorry! I have themes... The living room tree is traditional red and gold with wooden decorations. The kitchen tree is orange, gold and wood. The play room tree is pink and blue. I just like it to look nice.
I do want to think about wrapping paper this year, a lot of it isn't recyclable and brown paper packages tied up with string is one of my favourite things 😉
I have done brown paper the last few years. They look lovely

My Christmas tree is the one from my family home (can't bring myself to get a bushier tree even though I want one as my mum was the ultimate Xmas tacky master haha). I don't do the ceiling decs like she used to do mind.... they have a strange smell haha

My tree is mainly red/gold with warm white lights. I also have a random range from The Range to Swarovski (Memory bauble for My mum) and then a fancy fortnum one haha. Got new window lights in the sale last year so I'm very excited. Even my cat gets his own stocking 🤣🤣🤣

LOVE this thread!!
I bought my first house last year and so it was my first independent Christmas. Mum has a small fat tree which is always multicoloured and I just love! I inherited My dads taller skinnier tree when he passed away a couple of years ago (so there’s huge sentimental value for me there) and I went all out to make a woodland/animal theme, with a gold glittery stag head as a topper and switched up tinsel for a feather boa. I’m not gonna change my tree this year I don’t think, possibly pick up one or two different decs in the shops if I see them but overall it’ll stay as is.
I also have a beautiful home made wreath for my living room door that my aunt made me of purple/pink colours with white lights.
To finish off I have a small 3ft tree for outside the front door which has multicoloured baubles and multicoloured lights on it too, with a unicorn as the topper 🥰

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
LOVE this thread!!
I bought my first house last year and so it was my first independent Christmas. Mum has a small fat tree which is always multicoloured and I just love! I inherited My dads taller skinnier tree when he passed away a couple of years ago (so there’s huge sentimental value for me there) and I went all out to make a woodland/animal theme, with a gold glittery stag head as a topper and switched up tinsel for a feather boa. I’m not gonna change my tree this year I don’t think, possibly pick up one or two different decs in the shops if I see them but overall it’ll stay as is.
I also have a beautiful home made wreath for my living room door that my aunt made me of purple/pink colours with white lights.
To finish off I have a small 3ft tree for outside the front door which has multicoloured baubles and multicoloured lights on it too, with a unicorn as the topper 🥰
This is lovely x

LOVE this thread!!
I'll be honest I sometimes think boas on trees can look tacky but yours looks lovely.

This will be our first Christmas in our own flat and I am very excited about decorating the Christmas tree.

I would like to go with a red and white theme. White lights, red ribbon, candy canes etc.

I also have some decorations I’ve been given over the years and they are all different colours and I want to include these somewhere in the living room.

Morning , love a bit of Christmas chat 🎄🎄🎄.

I’m a ‘Christmas threw up’ decorator during December, it’s like a grotto. I always have twinkly lights up as I find they brighten up the long autumn winter nights but I go extra at Christmas 😁😁.

This year though, I’m aiming for a Scandinavian look ; tree in a silver bucket or wicker basket with warm white lights and cream or white decorations and not too many either, bit like this.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Im undecided whether to buy a new tree this year. Mine is ok but Its a bit of a slim tree and I would like one a bit wider.

I bought a beautiful tree last year from Asda. The reviews were good but honestly I can’t believe how beautiful it actually is.
Decorations wise we don’t really stick to a colour. We get a bauble every time we go on holiday so those ones are always different and then we just have a bit of everything decoration wise. No tinsel though. But warm lights. We don’t have a star or angel on top. We don’t have a plan of how to place them either. We just through them on and hope for the best whilst enjoying a bottle of wine and a Christmas playlist. There’s always an argument mixed in somewhere about the lights as well.

LOVE this thread!!
This is so beautiful, I absolutely love it.
Really glad to have seen this thread, unfortunately we are going to be away for most of December so have decided it’s not worth getting a tree for one week :( so will be glad to live vicariously through all of your tree photos!

• Sad
I went panic buying some new window lights in the range yesterday before lockdown. Going to order a new tree this week and I'm ready

When I lived at home with my parents my mum always had a beautifully curated tree in gold and cream colours only, I loved it but knew once I had my own place/tree I’d want more traditional colours!

my theme is ‘woodland’ so I have lots of greens and reds and then lots of little tree decs like Robins, owls, squirrels, mushrooms etc. I absolutely love it, it’s my dream tree haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 3