Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

iLoveNectarines

VIP Member
Are the guys in these cheer teams supposed to be university age? Some of them definitely look old enough to be in their 30s at least!

Reactions: 6

Babysnark

I'm really surprised at the hate for TVCC! I loved them was barracking for them to win. Navarro were too focused on the fame and the tv interviews, advertisements etc esp led by Monica. They were a bit up themselves really.
It would have been boring if Navarro won again and I'm glad they didn't. 💃
I felt the same! I was so happy TVCC won too.

Reactions: 6

Just having a nose

Chatty Member
Why doesn’t their uniform say Navarro on it?
I could be COMPLETELY wrong so please someone correct me if I am wrong but I THINK, this is just their training uniform? Like the sports bra and shorts are for training and then they will actually perform in their uniforms. On Monica’s Insta she uploaded their show off performance and they were in Navarro uniforms then with the poof and the bow etc!

Reactions: 5

TalkOfTheGram

VIP Member
Long post alert as ive just found this thread after finishing S2 recently.
Loved Khris, when his friend 1st said we invited him to be part of our family or sontbing along those lines I immediately thought he meant in an open relationship sort of way 🤷🏼‍♀️😭
Neither here nor there with Jada. Was she officially team captain, I know it was sort of implied. But was it actually her role or was she just edited to airways seem to take the lead. At some points I did b find her motivational speeches a big cringe but I do think that about most of these OTT "let's get out there we can do this"
Monica should not have decided to do dancing with the stars, it really didn't seem fair on the team when she's so hard on them all year.
I got so so bored hearing about "rookies" and how they were missing this experience because or covid and Monica being away, and how the team just weren't close. It was as if they were making out they have never had a cheer team experience which clearly wasn't the case.
Kailee Peppers was terrible and annoying.
The series definitely did feel repeative at times and too long. It needed less of "I couldnt afford to cheer but it was my escape" background stories. I would have liked a little info on how many other comps they do throughout the year and the training sessions from the point of view of those who don't make mat.
I was actually surprised at how little airtime Gabi got considering how massive she was in the cheer world at one point, same with Angel Rice.
If you aren't in the world of cheer I can imagine it would have been quite confusing to have random gym owners pop up now and again giving their opinions, I didn't really feel like it was necessary, think I'd have liked it if it had been more consistent.

Sunflower91

VIP Member
Just finished the season and I was also disappointed. There was too much of a focus on the personal lives/ things that came out of their fame. The episode on Jerry and his arrest left a bad taste in my mouth. There’s some things you can keep to yourself and not say publicly eg the whole thing about not being able to cut out Jerry and wanting to support him. La Darius was very close to him and voiced his opinions in a much better way then Monica and Gabi. The “I stand with victims of Sexual Abuse” kind of came across as impersonal and like Monica didn’t quite believe Jerry’s victims- i could be reading too much into it but as a victim of SA myself it wouldn’t be a reaction id want to see on TV if I went public and someone was interviewed about it. But then again Navarro aren’t without their own problems with safeguarding athletes if the live La Darius published is anything to go by.

kazizzle

VIP Member
Felt that they handled the Jerry episode well and felt so much for the twins and their mum, and glad they came forward and addressed it, no matter how hard it was. Hopefully it stops further abuse in the system.
there’s definitely far more awareness - more athletes have come forward and told their stories and raised concerns about other coaches and athletes. I’ve been involved in cheer for 19 years, 8 of those as a coach, and there’s so much of an increased focus around athlete protection and safety now from new training courses to modules added on to old qualification courses. I mean it should have always been there but it’s still a relatively new sport, especially here in the UK and it is maybe something people just didn’t think was an issue. Event providers here are now requiring all coaches attending events with a team to provide a dbs certificate before being issued a coaches pass to attend the event, whereas before only the head coaches required this and didn’t need to provide it for their full team of coaches. We sometimes give coaches passes to team mums so they can access athlete areas to assist with hair and makeup between routines (sometimes have a lot of quick changes) and we won’t be able to do that anymore.

Codiaeum

VIP Member
While I don't think Monica is maternal I do appreciate her as a coach. I can see how the kids take to her and listen for her advice.
Many probably didn't have a person they could reach out to for advice prior to coming to Navarro, but you've got to hand it to Monica for being that person for those kids.
Plus I loved how she helped Lexi in season one and went to the police with her.

barryjones

VIP Member
Presented by Monica and Andy. Is that Angel and Dee in the poster??

Monica really grabbing that cash while she can. Explains why Morgan said she retired then was back training again, needs to get up to scratch if they’re all touring.

I’d love to see this though , wish they were coming here 😂

Attachments

opal73

VIP Member
I can’t decide on La’Darius - I imagine some of this is true and he did seem to cut off his chances of more ‘fame’ to say all this and quit the team. Although in doing so I guess he gained more notoriety in a different way.

But yeah I don’t think Monica had the athletes best interests at heart this season. That was glaringly obvious by the end of it.
Well, he can certainly be OTT and some of what he said in his live was more of an exaggeration than anything else but I do feel he had a right to be upset with her basically shutting him out at a time when he needed her the most and not feeling listened to. He also clearly already had abandonment issues from his mother getting arrested at such a young age and she just up and left for DWTS, I can see why he'd think the fame had gone to her head and didn't feel she cared about the team anymore. It really bothered me that she didn't pick up on this because in S1 it really felt like she knew them but it's obvious she doesn't. She went on about how she treated him like a son, had him over for dinners etc but when he truly needed her she wasn't there. It's a shame their relationship fell apart like it did as I think she was the only parental figure in his life.

The culmination of this and everything else must have really got to her because she looked so worn down by the end.

Warpaint

VIP Member
Did anyone else feel like series 2 just kept repeating huge blocks? I felt like I had deja vu 😂
I wonder if with Jerry's popularity at the start of them filming he was featured very heavily. Then when it all came out what he'd done they had to go back and do a mad edit to cut his screen time as much as they could.

kazizzle

VIP Member
Is there going to be a S3?
I don't think there's been one officially announced but it's probably quite likely. I'd love to see them feature other college cheer teams though rather going back to Navarro every year. It will get stale eventually.

Katienana

I was really shocked when Gabi's mum said she should eat Jack fruit and no other food for 12 hrs! Totally encouraging an eating disorder. Thankfully Gabi seemed to ignoring this advice and eating normally.

Sunflower91

VIP Member
I’m honestly not surprised. She’s got a bit of a rep for swapping and changing teams, even mid-season or suddenly deciding to do All-Star after college cheer season is over. I think she passes it off as learning/ getting experience but to me it just comes across as she moves to get a better team position/ because it raises her platform.

- she started at TGLC in 2012 and I think finished a season with then. I’m not sure how accurate it is but there were some rumours she wanted to be centre flyer.

- moved to Trinity Allstars (2013)but I think she left mid season. There was talk of management issues there and she’s mentioned herself being on teams that don’t work hard/have the ethic so it’s kind of assumed it wasn’t a good fit.

-went to California Allstars Smoed (2013-2014/15) as they started filming their YouTube show. Her mum moved with her for a year or so and rented a house / acted as house mum for out of state cheerleaders. She was centre flyer for the whole time she was on the team. She left smoed mid her third season. This was around the time the YouTube series started to get a bit of flack, she cited being homesick as one of the reasons.

-joined Gymtime Blink (2015) where they started their own YouTube show, she was their centre flyer, they are in Kentucky I think so the homesickness doesn’t quite add up.
-left after one season to got to lionheart (2016), which was largely perceived as her own gym where she made herself CF. They performed NCA but not sure they went to worlds or performed again. It was really bad. Blame went on everything from athletes travelling, Gabi having pushy parents and wanting her to have her own gym.

-for the next two seasons (2017-2018)she was at wildcats and was really pretty quiet. She kind of fell of the radar a bit. She got challenged a lot for being a gym hopper and this at least made it look like she was going there to learn and grow

- for 2019 -2020 next move was Navarro where it gets a bit complicated because you can compete at AS as well as college for some teams.

- during worlds 2019 she’s “filled in” for an injured athlete for California Allstars Reckless- which didn’t go down too well since surely there’s reserves who now didn’t get the opportunity. got a lovely YouTube show cameo alongside it.

-in 2020 she also competed with TopGun 00

-In 2021 she and another athlete made a beggy post about competing at worlds and she ended up taking the mat with Steele athletics slate.

-end of 2021-2022 she moves to Weber state after they were top scorers.

-2022 she’s back at Navarro where she’s top girl apparently.
And all of this moving around is alongside selling camps for an extortionate rate ($150- $10,000 per athlete). I think the general sentiment is that she started out looking for positions, then for cheerlebrity status, then licked her wounds after the lionheart fail, then back to teams with cheerlebrity opportunity with no consideration ever for who she bumps off.

kazizzle

VIP Member
I’m surprised that mistakes get so little points knocked off, don’t know how points work at all. I just expected that mistakes would take more off than 0.whatever
There's different deductions for different things. For the scoresheet they used at Daytona in 2021 for an athlete fall like in tumbling or jumps it's .25, for a stunt fall (but caught by bases) it's .75 and a major stunt fall is 1.25 - that's when the flyer and/or bases all fall to the floor.

You also can get deduced for going out of bounds, running over the time limit, safety (like competing something illegal at the level you're performing in), image violations (inappropriate uniforms/choreo or music) and also for unsportsmanlike conduct which can be to do with coach or spectator behaviour - this is a full point off and can result in disqualification.

It really doesn't seem like much but honestly cheer can be SO close that just one deduction can take you from a raw score in 1st place to be sitting in 3rd or 4th. Hitting zero deductions is the ultimate goal for most teams.

The scoresheet and deductions have actually changed this year and a lot of people are unhappy with the changes as the deduction amounts are even smaller which doesn't encourage clean (and safe) cheerleading. If you are only getting deducted .05 for a tumble bust then teams are more likely to push boundaries and throw things they maybe aren't ready for because the deduction is now so tiny. A stunt fall is .25 now.

Sorry for the in-depth explanation that probably wasn't needed... I really love scoresheets :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Razzmatazz

Chatty Member
Is this suitable for my 12 year old? She’s a cheerleader so would love it but puts me off that it’s a 15.
Some of the cheerleaders have quite sad backstories which are talked about alongside the cheer practise stuff, one's mum died, one had a neglectful dad, one girl has some nudes leaked on twitter and at one point one of the coaches talks about how he attempted suicide. It's not glorified in anyway though.
The only other thing is the language, mainly fuck and bitch.

I think it depends on how mature your 12 year old is and how you feel about those topics and the swearing. Maybe watch it together and then you can talk her through any of the more sensitive topics.

Reactions: 4

Amay92

I LOVED it! The level of talent is unbelievable, the final routine where they’re flipping and flopping all over the place was insane! I’d love for cheerleading to become an Olympic sport but I can’t see it happening, hopefully this documentary has allowed people to see that it is a sport and a bloody talented one at that

Hobbitsies

Honestly Gabi’s parents are awful. Especially when they are portrayed alongside teens talking about serious issues. They did not come off well.

I really enjoyed the show though esp Morgan and Jerry who seem like lovely people.

If anyone is interested, an update!
Morgan finished at Navarro, Jerry is back at Navarro despite going to UOL for a bit, Gabi is our making money from sponsorship and has joined another team, Lexi is out living her life maybe back at college? This was all just gleaned from their instas so it is 100%!

Sunflower91

VIP Member
Wasn’t her mum telling her to eat properly and Gabi was refusing?
Kind of- Gabi said they were just doing choreo and her mum dropped the subject. But her mum was the one advising her on something silly diet wise last season.
Her parents come across as dominating a lot of her life, she guess it’s easy to make the leap that they also control how she eats. Especially when you see her early cheer days, she looked most healthy when she was on smoed and away from her family a lot. I just get the vibe they want to keep her a teeny tiny flier all her life- because that’s what she’s famous for.