Chateau Diaries #57 The misadventures of StephanME and Mr Nostrils

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh I'm in the North of England - should I invite Marie to stay 🤔 Mmmm no because my flowers in my garden are left to be their beautiful selves and would not appreciate a milk bottle 😜
I've done business in the area she is in. I hope she is not grifting her way to my local area. I would have to hide my empties, shut the garage and cover my dahlias.
I have shouted to Mrs G to ensure no stray sunflowers are peeking over our walls.
Driveway gates shut - check
Signposts down-check
Flowers hidden-check
Milk bottles brought back in- check
Blinds down- check

Rottweilers at the ready...check

• Haha
Reactions: 36
No, Marie, you can't forage those! No, even if they are outside the wall.
And anyway, what's the problem finding a place?
You need only one month of rent in advance,
2 months rent for deposit, 2 months rent for the real estate agent.
Don't know the prices there but let's say it's 1200€ for a decent one bedroom apartment with a studio for your jars it's 5x1200=6000 €.
You haven't paid for your car, all you own fits in your van, so can't even blame you for spending too much in France. You sure have set aside minimum 10000€ for the move and expenses, right? What, you haven't because you were volunteering the past 3 years?
Oh, you don't wanna pay the agent, you can ask your fans? Even better. Oh, you don't wanna pay a deposit, you are a successful and famous YouTuber one can trust? And oh, you don't wanna pay in advance because just because? Good luck then!
I think back in a jiffy at lalande...with her tail between her legs...imagine her passive agresive behaviour in the kitchen..onces again...ohlala..

Reactions: 16
I have an ESP feeling that Sillymar's nice looking drinking buddy is going to be a partner in financing a chateau.
I think Titty is putting the screws to Selmar...." Buy me a chateau or no relationship"...at least in person!!!
Just a thought - is the drinking buddy the tango dancer that Sillyman highlighted at the end of his visit to his old dance studio? There is some similarity and would make sense in a possible business partner.

Reactions: 8
I found these comments very ignorant. For someone who has travelled as much as she seems have it was really uninformed. If she wants a place with little historic architecture she should come to the prairies of Canada! We just have the odd old wooden hip roof barn and some little white wooden clap board churches ... not much else!
Imagine her roaming around stucco city😏😆!

• Haha
Oh no, she's in the North of England. I wonder where? She'd better not pick my garden flowers. I will be looking out for a blonde hanging round my hydrangeas.

The discussion about buying new versus old is interesting. I believe in repurposing where possible, but some things have to be replaced with new. I bought my rented house, furniture and all, when my landlord retired, most of the furniture was rubbish, but some was attractive and worth keeping. I then inherited a house full of mostly antique stuff. The house went to someone else, I got the contents. This included a 500 year old 4 poster bed, a cooking range, all the kitchen equipment, and classic old furniture and ornaments, most of which I loved and have kept. I have only ever bought electrical items, a new mattress, and a sofa to replace the one that was hideous. My house is old and wouldn't suit modern stuff and I haven't replaced anything. I do like the shabby chic, eclectic look, which helps when you have inherited your furniture. If something breaks or goes missing, for instance plates or cutlery, I go to the UK equivalent of a brocante, the car boot sale and buy a pile of plates I like the look of. I also buy from charity shops. My neighbours leave unwanted items for people to take in the back alley outside their houses, and I've found a lovely 1970s egg shaped chair, a wheelbarrow, a metal chimenea, an outdoor bistro table and chairs, a fully functioning lawnmower this way. I always check first they are really being thrown away. I get books from neighbours, we swap them by leaving them in a box outside when we've read them. I have some nice clothes I got from charity shops, including a Burberry coat, Liberty skirt, and an Armani jacket. I always buy new electrical equipment, lingerie, bed linen and shoes. There are limits. How do others feel? To me if old things are thoroughly cleaned and laundered I have no problem with it. SJ clearly has no problems with old things. I do like the feel of new stuff but I think we as a society all throw too much away.
I am bit on a minimalist trip so what ever breaks is not getting replaced unless I really used it a couple of times per week. I usually replace it with used things because I feel they have better quality. All the garden tools for example I got on garage sales are 20 plus years old and still OK, the new ones broke after one season.
I have antiques from Biedermeier time but not the expensive wood because I like the lighter colours. I moved them so many times and there are still good and so versatile, Ikea would not survive one move.
I only buy cars new but then keep them till they break. Kids clothes I buy used because there were washed already several times so I hope any chemicals are gone and I feel years ago they made more colourful clothing for boys. Now all you get is black and has a scull on it. That's why I love shopping in France, they have too more couleurs for boys. (petit bateau and such)
I bought a little apartment in Croatia as a vacation home (I must admit I benefit from the pandemic because it was somewhat cheap) and I made it a rule to get all the furniture, linen, dishes, devices, TV, etc for free on ebay Kleinanzeigen because people give away real good things for free just because they switch their decor according to IKEA catalog (at least they don't throw it away)
From the money I saved I could go and buy another apartment, it's so sad. Those YouTube channels shoving all those shopping hauls should be forbidden imo. The same with those showing seasonal decorations hauls. It's almost a crime

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I've been watching these cute boys on TikTok. Party down, party beast.
Long ago, and in another country, I married a man once upon a time for the one and only reason he could Dance. Like. This. 😏
Not sorry.
Those are some proper assets there compared to BBJ’s baby boy band debacle… proper!!

• Heart
Oh my word, is Annlise wearing one of the dreadful handknits from the Grab a Gift? Come back into the light, Annalise!
Screenshot 2021-08-29 at 19.40.56.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 27
Plenty of activity at lala as shown on Dan's vlog. Mojo did you spot the Kilkenny Fiat.
Back at his place, my son would have kittens if I showed him the roofing works. He works in Health and Safety. Annalise was in slippers on the rough ground and Dan was not in safety boots and his runner laces were open. My son would go further because he works on commercial sites, so he would point out.. no safety glasses, hard hat, hi-vis, scaffolding etc.
I suppose it only takes one fatality for H&S to become sticklers for the rules but his company had a builder fall down a vent shaft from the roof at their own premises. Poor family sent their dad off to work that morning, never to return.

Oh my word, is Annlise wearing one of the dreadful handknits from the Grab a Gift? Come back into the light, Annalise!View attachment 735581
I think using it for work on a building site shows that it has a short life ahead. Maybe she dropped it off at the bins outside lala when they went to see the vintage cars.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I am so curious about the aborigines' psychogeography songlines. @The Cheshire Cat, sounds like Uluru made you a believer.
Do either of you have good URLs on songlines, or Uluru? I'm counting on videos these days to get me to the places I didn't manage, and cannot now. One reason I love Nicki Positano, that's a heavenly place, and she actually walks the path of the gods on cam. Which I could never have done even when my knees were not the old cantalopes they are now. I was saddened by the Carlo grift, as we discussed here, but those cliffs above the sea, the constant presence of being high in the sky, always reminds me of my BFF Breughel's Icarus. Nicki gets it too, named her daughter Skye.
Have you read Bruce Chatwin's Songlines? For me it was a fundamentally moving, sublimely written exploration of Aboriginal culture and their inextricable, life-giving, physical, spirit and soul connection with the land - something that's far beyond our ken in the westernised world. It was a life-changing book for me, it gave me a glimpse of a way of being that is really beyond our very limiting words.
It also made me incandescent at times. The way we're taught to exploit and destroy our world and the people who truly care for it....
It's a must read, IMHO.

• Heart
Julia Leach's flog already has comments from Neil Hartley. Is Neil the head cheerleader for Lalande now??? 🤔
Lady of the Château Productions
WELCOME TO "DREAMING OF A CHATEAU" [2-min Intro]

Neil Hartley

9 hours ago
It was a pleasure to meet your family at Lalande. Best wishes with your new adventure!

Hide 2 replies

Julia Leach
Julia Leach
1 hour ago
How nice to see you on here Neil! We hope you're doing well! It was lovely meeting you too. Thank you so much for watching!!!

Neil Hartley
1 hour ago
@Julia Leach This is a nicely put together clip, Julia. The grounds of the château are beautiful. Could you maybe put the name in the description? You said it, but I didn't catch it. No doubt you'll reveal more here before long. I'd love to come for a tour in the future. Happy to give any advice I can with any practical aspects of living in France, or the language.

Reactions: 7
Sarcoidosis is playing up today so I’m going to torture myself even more and watch Mrs Sleakit and her cronies. I’ll call it “research” and report back with my findings.
Get well soon, my cousin had Sarcoidosis, but he got better after 2 years, had lots of trouble whilst it lasted though so I send you my best.

Talking about William Morris reminds me of what he said: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful". I bought a poster with that quotation on it years ago at Standen, an Arts & Crafts house in Sussex that has his wallpapers and some of his furniture in it. I wonder what he'd think of LL! Mind you, he'd be pretty shocked at my current clutter, too, although it's not on the same scale as LL and I have no knitted hedgehogs!
I like William Morris! Not often I have an opinion on such, but I like his pimpernel pattern! Class.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.