Celebrity/Showbiz autobiographies, biographies and books you have read

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read roger daltrey's autobiography,he blames the popularity of eminem for his 1992 album not selling well,even though eminem didn't come out until 1999.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I’m almost finished reading Together- Natalie and Nicole Appleton and when in all saints, Shaznay and Mel don’t come out of it well at all!! They both sound like horrible people but Shaznay is the worst of the pair.
yet they do all seem genuinely close now. I do remember ‘Together’ being a brilliant book but very brutal towards Mel and Shaznay. Definitely need a re-read!

Reactions: 3
I forgot to mention chanelle Hayes one from BB, Very detailed and honest, was sad about what happened to her mum. Worth reading!

I forgot to mention chanelle Hayes one from BB, Very detailed and honest, was sad about what happened to her mum. Worth reading!
She has weirdly always interested me, will try and order now. Wasn’t her mum murdered?

Reactions: 4
Frank Skinner's autobiography is such a good book, even if he wasnt famous would be good. Very old now though.
Looking forward to reading Denise Van Outens

• Heart
Reactions: 5
yet they do all seem genuinely close now. I do remember ‘Together’ being a brilliant book but very brutal towards Mel and Shaznay. Definitely need a re-read!
i managed to finish the book. Still think that Shaznay and Mel treated them appallingly. Can’t believe they were friends again after that!

Reactions: 1
Not an autobiography but Liza Tarbuck's I an distracted by everything is a brilliant book so funny. I suppose it's like an annual for grown ups or tame Viz!

Why? What happened between them?
Shaznay and Mel wouldn’t let them have any lead vocals, Shaznay would ignore the Appletons and people would side with her (dancers, etc) so they weren’t out of a job.It was 2 against 2 all the time from what I read. Also when the Appletons did get chance to do solo verses it would be cut out in the final version of a song for no reason. There was a time where one of the Appletons had one of the stylists alter a coat, Shaznay decided she wanted it and when Nic/Nat (sorry can’t remember which one) told her that the stylist was getting it altered for her, the stylist denied that Nic/Nat had done such a thing and gave it to Shaznay anyway cos she basically ruled the roost (being songwriter and one of the lead singers). Whether it’s true or not I don’t know, but she didn’t come out looking good at all. Mel just went along with Shaznay all the time, even though she had previously been best mates with Nicole and bitched about Shaznay all the time to the Appletons. That’s some of the bits I remember anyway but there was loads of examples in the book.

• Wow
I'm currently reading Bob Mortimer's autobiography "And away". Strange that such a cripplingly shy man would end up being such a stage showman. He also seemed not to.like talking to strangers and gave the impression that he didn't like people much. But when he was a solicitor he seemed so compassionate towards the poor. Very complex character.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Has anyone read ‘Reach for the Stars’ I’m only two chapters in and it’s bloody brilliant - there is so much insight from journos, songwriters, video producers and the popstars themselves. First two chapters are on Spice Girls and I’m about to start chapter 3 (5ive).

Reactions: 2
Great thread!

I have read oodles of celeb/singers/musos/actors over the years. This is what I recall and all of it is IMHO, which shouldn't be taken as a seal of quality. I am including both biographies and autobiographies.

Great:

Paula, Bob and Michael - like a PP said, bloody excellent and made me think

Red Carpets and Banana Skins - Rupert Everett - candid and well-written

Victoria Wood by Jasper Rees - I have it on Audible. Absolutely brilliant.

Lily Allen - cannot recall the title, but beautifully raw.

Good:

Re:Minder - Dennis Waterman - especially all of the comments/inclusions gleaned from his friends/family/colleagues!?

Spinning Plates - Sophie Ellis Bextor - well written and honest

Honest - Sarah Harding - so sad 😞

Rags to Ritchie - Shane Ritchie - very cringey, but a good showbiz tale.

Frank Skinner by Frank Skinner - quite out of date now, but well-written as Frank has an MA in English Lit. Some of the sexual aspects aren't an easy read post #MeToo and Brand.

Bad:

Kelly Brook - boring, dull and yawnsome. A beautiful woman with the brains and talent of a mayfly.

Honest - Mel B - couldn't finish.

Kelly Brooks is absolutely awful. So dull. I also couldn’t finish Rylan’s second book which is weird because I loved the first and think he’s great. It was just so….padded out which is unsurprising since his first book only came out a few years ago.

Kelly Brooks is absolutely awful. So dull. I also couldn’t finish Rylan’s second book which is weird because I loved the first and think he’s great. It was just so….padded out which is unsurprising since his first book only came out a few years ago.
I agree. I don't think that I've finished Kelly Brooks' either. She was in a relationship with Billy Zane when she 'wrote' it, so it's quite a while ago.

So Me by Graham Norton is fantastic, you can tell he actually wrote it himself. Lots of laugh out loud moments.

A Twist of Lennon by Cynthia Lennon is good. I read it ages ago, all about her meeting John and their marriage. Also early days of The Beatles up to Yoko.
Also excellent is By Myself (which I think is such a good name for an autobiography) by Lauren Bacall.

Jennette mccurdy , I'm glad my Mom died. Beautifully written, quite disturbing at times. I love her honesty

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I agree. I don't think that I've finished Kelly Brooks' either. She was in a relationship with Billy Zane when she 'wrote' it, so it's quite a while ago.
Nope it was a long time after that, they split I. 2008 and the book came out in 2014.

I still think Jessica Simpson’s is one the best I’ve read….and Jodie Marsh’s of course 😂

I have pre ordered Britney’s book but I have no doubt it’s going to be absolutely diabolical and she’s still clearly gagged by much of her inner circle.

• Heart
I started to read alan sugars book several years ago but didnt finish it. I thought it would be interesting but it obviously wasnt interesting enough. Maybe if someone else wrote it. Haha
I read James Dyson's book "against the odds" and that was very good. Somehow I lost the james Dyson one either during a house move or loaning it to someone else so I bought another copy. A very inspiring read.