Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hallobrit

They've managed to release trailers with virtually no singing. For an entirely sung through musical. Which it won't be now. But that seems questionable to me. And the sizing is all wrong, they are tint tiny miniature cats when you see the stuff around them. Cats was the first show I saw as a very young child, it ignited a life long love of theatre but the filmed stage version is already better than this. I'd love to be wrong

Reactions: 1

Hallobrit

I could go into huge depth about it and really dissect it, but for me, bigger than the CGI, the most damaging thing was the lack of Gillian Lynnes choreography. I'm surprised Andrew Lloyd Webber let that happen honestly. What the film lacks is a coherent energy. That came from the choreography. They didn't replace it with anything.

Web30

VIP Member
All i know about Cats is from an old advert that was on a vhs i had. It was for the video of the live show and i remember it going on forever and knowing i never wanted to watch it.

Arent they planing to re edit the film before its out on dvd due to the story not making sense or something?

• Haha

Yel

Chatty Member
Well that was horrifying, least it's going to put loads of children off having cats so other wildlife will win ๐Ÿฆ

• Wow

Hallobrit

I loved it......I loved the musical as a kid but I can see how someone who doesnโ€™t love the stage show could find it weird
I have to say I think that's where a lot of the snark has come from. Non theatre goers. I regular theatre goers are a not better at suspending belief. We've seen people as cats before. My issues with it were not appearance but much more towards orchestration and choreography

Yel

Chatty Member
I just read that they used a body double for Taylor Swift part. But she only on screen for 7 minutes in total, is that correct?
It's a cg heavy movie I'm sure they used a double just to limit the amount of set time for swift. She just comes in for one song, then is in a couple more scenes for seconds.

I skim watched it, only watching the full version of memories and it's even worse than the trailor suggested.

Has Tom hooper or anyone else involved commented? The CG is so unfinished and rough, floaring bobble heads and lots of glitches.

Web30

VIP Member
Thats creepy af. Not a film im going to be seeing. The only thing i know about Cats is from the advert that was on a video i had as a kid of the stage show. I didnt like that.

Vee6

VIP Member
I think the reaction is ott as well. But the cgi and changing scale in each shot makes it seem a bit odd. I loved my video of the stage show when I was a teenager. I used to get up at 5am to watch it before school ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฎ. Should be good

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
I might stream it illegally like I did re-frozen ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

And turn it off after 3 minutes
I turned Into the Woods off after 4 minutes, the constant "into the woods" done my head right in

Cats looks awful as a movie. Iโ€™ve never seen it on stage (although want to!) but my understanding of it is that on stage it is just humans with very good facepaint and some leotards? The CGI versions really push it into uncanny valley for me, donโ€™t think I would go and watch it because of that (even though I do really want to get into musicals/musical theatre) because it looks so bloody weird! Doesnโ€™t translate into film ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
I absolutely LOVE Cats, it's my favourite and your right about it being humans in leotards. However, whenever I've seen it, I have to sit up on the balcony part as I also have an unexplainable fear of humans dressed as animals and the Cats come off stage into the audience ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha

Reetpateet

Ngl, I didn't love the bits we heard of Memory. It just sounded so... strained? Forced? Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say but whatever it is, it doesn't suit Jennifer Hudson's voice and I'm disappointed.

But mostly commenting to say... the f'king rap that they turned Rum Tum Tugger's song into! Oh my god. It was SO BAD. The original is such a great version, I couldn't believe they ruined it!

Cats has been one of my favourite musicals all my life, I wore out my cassette tape and then bought it on dvd ๐Ÿคฃ It was the first show I ever saw as a kid and, as someone who already loved cats (as in the animals, heh), I was obsessed. So when a friend wanted someone to go see the show with, I was all ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ yes please.

She'd never seen it before and didn't like it and I ranted about that stupid rap song for DAYS! lmao.

I really want this movie to be good ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป
I'm laughing reading your reply because I'm so glad someone felt as strongly as I did about it lol. Rum tum tugger is known for being sexy and a bit of a ladies man if your going to change him for anything current make him a bit more smooth and pop like or just don't change it at all because if it ain't broke.

tarahalls

Chatty Member
Am I the only one excited to see this ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚.
I just hope they have kept rum tum tuggers original song when I went to see it again a few years back they had tried to update it to a rap kind of song which completely ruined it for me. Also can they fuck off keep casting James cordon in stuff that bloke pisses me right off
I was excited to see it until I saw knobby Cordon is in it ๐Ÿ™ˆ

HereForLOLS

Chatty Member
I loved it......I loved the musical as a kid but I can see how someone who doesnโ€™t love the stage show could find it weird

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Cats looks awful as a movie. Iโ€™ve never seen it on stage (although want to!) but my understanding of it is that on stage it is just humans with very good facepaint and some leotards? The CGI versions really push it into uncanny valley for me, donโ€™t think I would go and watch it because of that (even though I do really want to get into musicals/musical theatre) because it looks so bloody weird! Doesnโ€™t translate into film ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Justjennie84

Am I the only one excited to see this ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚.
I just hope they have kept rum tum tuggers original song when I went to see it again a few years back they had tried to update it to a rap kind of song which completely ruined it for me. Also can they fuck off keep casting James cordon in stuff that bloke pisses me right off
nope Iโ€™m actually really excited to see this gutted itโ€™s not out till December. I am however a massive musical fan and cats is one of my favs ๐Ÿ™ˆ